Quantcast
Rate the last film you watched... - Page 1252 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Elite

Rate the last film you watched...

Palmer - 7.5/10. Justin Timberlake is out on parole and has moved in with grandma. Living on her land in a trailer is a drug addicted young mum and her only child who is clearly gay although far too young to know what that means.

The story is about how the main character – Palmer – slowly comes to accept and even love the child while sorting his own demons in the process. It’s a little bit cliched when written down like that, but it’s actually a good film and avoids too much schmaltz.

News of the World - Unfortunate name for a Paul Greengrass Western with Tom Hanks as a veteran confederate captain who goes from town to town reading the news to people. Along the way he comes across a German girl who was kidnapped by Kiowa, raised by them until she was 'rescued' again 6 years later and so she speaks no English. The rest is fairly formulaic stuff after that, there's no surprises or twists here, instead you need two good actors in the leads to make carry the story and when you have Tom Hanks then you can do that. The girl is good too which is useful given how much screen time she has.

Far from ground-breaking but it looks beautiful with shots of sunset vistas and the plains of North Texas and we all need a nice Tom Hanks move right now. 7.5 out of 10

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Surely even you'd rip the cock off over Lily James. 

I'm guessing she's the speccy four eyes? Nah. Maybe if she had a crew cut and DMs. And only then if she had proper flat norks. And it was dark. 

50 minutes ago, rb14 said:

I'm guessing she's the speccy four eyes? Nah. Maybe if she had a crew cut and DMs. And only then if she had proper flat norks. And it was dark. 

And she was male. 

• Upvote 1

Man on Fire has to be one of the most overrated films for me. And if you’re going for ok genre films, who’d want grumpy, killing machine, Man on Fire Denzel over charming, smart, Pelican Brief Denzel?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RedKnight said:

News of the World - Unfortunate name for a Paul Greengrass Western with Tom Hanks as a veteran confederate captain who goes from town to town reading the news to people. Along the way he comes across a German girl who was kidnapped by Kiowa, raised by them until she was 'rescued' again 6 years later and so she speaks no English. The rest is fairly formulaic stuff after that, there's no surprises or twists here, instead you need two good actors in the leads to make carry the story and when you have Tom Hanks then you can do that. The girl is good too which is useful given how much screen time she has.

Far from ground-breaking but it looks beautiful with shots of sunset vistas and the plains of North Texas and we all need a nice Tom Hanks move right now. 7.5 out of 10

Watched this last night, almost anything with Tom hanks is going to be good. Thought the girl was very good, it's amazing watching young actors being so confident. I really enjoyed it for what is was, a simple movie with a simple story. 7-10

Minari

Another Korean film tipped for Oscar success, quirky and charming little film about a small Korean family who relocate from California to Arkansas to follow the dad's dream of making a business growing and selling traditional Korean veg.

Doesn't sound great does it, but then the granny arrives from Korea and things get interesting.

Whilst nowhere near as good or as funny as Parasite, Minari was a really easy and enjoyable watch, far better and more moving than a thousand of those green screen superhero nerd fest money grabs.

Really  good. 7/10 Kodi - The Shadow - Real Debrid

Chef - 10/10. I fucking love this film and never tire of watching it. It’s pure feel-good all the way with food, music, humour and family. What’s not to love?

On 10/02/2021 at 08:38, Bjornebye said:

Parasite

Not sure how it managed to win all sorts of awards and be spoken about as a 9-10 / 10. Absolutely nuts film especially the end, very different and yeah enjoyable but it wasn't 'that' good. Defo worth a watch of course and the posh mum is sexy as fuck. 7.5/10 

So 

Very 

Wrong . 

Class film

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

White Riot

Biopic about the Rock Against Racism movement and it's battle with the National Front, right wing press and politicians and police. Even Bowie, Rod Stewart and Eric Clapton displayed their far right underbellies, Clapton calling to "...get the wogs out and get the coons out".

Truly shocking stuff, but perhaps even more shocking and sad is the way history seems hell bent on repeating itself and just how closely the past 5 years of our society seems to be mirroring the far right of the 70s.

Truly excellent little film.

9/10 Kodi - The Shadow - Real Debrid

It's on youtube too.

• Upvote 1

Nomadland

Wonderful film about those people who are on the shitty end of stick, those whose American Dream isn't always bunting and rainbows, the displaced and the dispossessed.

Frances McDormand is sensational, just hand over that Oscar now. She just gets better and better with age, better here even than her 3 Billboards turn which won her the best actress Oscar.

Many of the cast are real American nomads just playing themselves and McDormand (and the movie itself imo) really shines in those scenes and moments between them, where it feels ad libbed and very, very heartfelt.

The cinematography is top notch and the sparse score is absolutely pitch perfect.

Fabulous, loved it, made on the cheap without a green screen or superhero within a thousand miles.

8.5/10 Kodi - Fen - Real Debrid

Wolfwalkers - 9/10. Another hit from cartoon saloon. Beautiful animation, really good story. Not Song of the Sea good, but excellent all the same.

• Upvote 1

Dark Waters. Amazon Prime, not the one on Netflix. Brilliantly done film documenting the DuPont chemical poisoning in West Virginia. A strong 8.5/10, knocking on the door of 9/10.

• Upvote 6

The Next 3 Days

Russell Crowe decides to break his wife out of prison who has been sent down for murder. 5/10. Got about half an hour in and said to my missus "This is a Liam Neeson type film this not Crowe" and who rocks up for a cameo not long later? Neeson himself. Suppose its worth a watch if passing the time, not something you'd watch again but it's got a decent cast. 

37 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The Next 3 Days

Russell Crowe decides to break his wife out of prison who has been sent down for murder. 5/10. Got about half an hour in and said to my missus "This is a Liam Neeson type film this not Crowe" and who rocks up for a cameo not long later? Neeson himself. Suppose its worth a watch if passing the time, not something you'd watch again but it's got a decent cast. 

Going to sound like Vlad here but the French original is good. Probably cause I can't understand French and so you can't pick up on the wooden performances.

• Upvote 2

Watched Beauty and the Beast (the more recent live action version) with the youngest.

Special effects and stuff are good, songs are good. But major criticisms are:

1. Half the film is so dark it's hard to see what's going on - I had to up the telly to maximum brightness during the castle scenes. 

2. Emma Watson is clearly easy on the eye, but her accent really did my head in. The poshest, plummiest, upper class English accent you're ever likely to hear and weirdly distracting.

5.5/10.

Greenland - formulaic disaster movie but very watchable because of Morena Baccarin 6.5/10

Hereditary -  Went from a "uncomfortable watch-family disintegration over grief" tale into a thing of madness where Toni Colette started floating around like a Scooby Doo ghost, which ruined it completely. 5/10 

On 13/02/2021 at 18:11, Bjornebye said:

I don't like the fight scene with the other stations and a few bits are just shite but on the whole its funny as fuck. 

"Live with Ron Burgundy and Tits Magee" 

I still think the "who put the question mark at the end of the teleprompter?" scene is one of the funniest things ever.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Total Longo said:

Greenland - formulaic disaster movie but very watchable because of Morena Baccarin 6.5/10

Hereditary -  Went from a "uncomfortable watch-family disintegration over grief" tale into a thing of madness where Toni Colette started floating around like a Scooby Doo ghost, which ruined it completely. 5/10 

I loved Hereditary and thought Toni Colette was brilliant! But yes, the swift turn halfway through the film was unexpected.

4 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I loved Hereditary and thought Toni Colette was brilliant! But yes, the swift turn halfway through the film was unexpected.

Me too, but I only really enjoyed it after picking up on the subtleties after watching it three or four times. Some of the 'Did you see it?' moments are spine-tingling.