You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Next 

Nicholas Cage. 2008 film that they've put on Netflix recently. I'm not surprised I'd never heard of it before. He can see a couple of minutes into the future which turns out to be a bit of a pain in the arse when some bastards have a nuclear bomb ready to go off. Jessica Biel is amazing and pumps it from a 3 to a 5. 5/10

Nothing But The Truth

Who thought Kate Beckinsale wasn't just one of the most beautiful creatures to walk the earth but she can actually act? She plays a reporter who finds out some info about the CIA being arseholes and lets herself go to jail by not revealing her source. The missus found it on Amazon Prime. Well worth a watch. 7.5/10 

giphy.gif

Watched a thing on Netflix at the kids’ insistence last night called Malcolm & Marie. It is basically John David Washington and Zendaya playing a beautiful couple having a row in their beautiful house. And that’s it. I hated it. 

Birds of Prey - Warner Bros. and DC try another angle to kickstart their movies and fail once again. I've said it before but it's a huge embarrassment to Warner Bros. that they've owned DC Comics for decades and yet they're unable to coherently translate them to cinema. Birds of Prey was a tonal mess, jumping between lots of swearing, hyper colours, editing and barely a plot to speak of. Seemed to me a lot of what was put on the screen was put there because they'd thought it would look cool rather than it make sense within the world. A good cast is wasted making a shallow film.

Frustratingly bad and thinly sketched characters. It didn't make any money, though it's run was curtailed by the pandemic, so there probably won't be a sequel and if this is what they come up with then no surprise. 3 out of 10

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Meant to ask, RedKnight, will you be giving the Snyder cut a look?

Probably, just for the film geek side of me. I cannot imagine any world in which more Snyder makes something better and I find the constant social media excitement for it bizarre, but when it's available I'll take a look.

Justice League was so edgelord and brown to begin with.

• Upvote 2

Ghost in The Shell (remake) 7/10

Not bad, it got panned on release due to Scarlett Johansson playing the lead but I thought she was actually ok.

Managed to recreate some of the visuals from the original manga version quite well, I thought.

Quite an enjoyable action film. 

18 hours ago, RedKnight said:

Probably, just for the film geek side of me. I cannot imagine any world in which more Snyder makes something better and I find the constant social media excitement for it bizarre, but when it's available I'll take a look.

Justice League was so edgelord and brown to begin with.

“Edgelord and brown”! Ha, ha, ha!!! 

Greenland -  Disaster movie about a comet coming to destroy the Earth and Gerard Butler must get his family to safety. Decent addition to the disaster movie genre where the focus isn't on the special effects blowing every city up but on the family's journey from army base to Canada and all the obstacles in between. Style of shooting and decision to not show massive destruction pay off as the film avoids cliché for some of the runtime and it's enjoyably tense. Butler's accent is all over the map but he's fine otherwise. 7 out of 10.

20 hours ago, Chip Butty said:

The Little Things

Bang average just about sums this up. The plot, the musical score, the script, the acting, the whole shabang - bang average at best.

This film so wanted to be an upgrade on Se7en, and came out at about a 1.2, ish.  

Avoid.

4/10

Absolute turd of a film that. Confusing too. No idea how they got a blockbuster cast to agree to do it. 

Terminator Genysis

Totally shits all over the original, in a bad way. Starts well with call backs to the original and gets more confusing and goes down hill rapidly.  5/10

The best thing about it, is the call backs made me watch the original Terminator, still a classic. Looking very dated but a great film 8/10

On 06/02/2021 at 06:35, Paul said:

Watched a thing on Netflix at the kids’ insistence last night called Malcolm & Marie. It is basically John David Washington and Zendaya playing a beautiful couple having a row in their beautiful house. And that’s it. I hated it. 

Struggled my way through it.  Shame though cos it might have worked if not for Washington's over-acting, he was painful to watch throughout.

On 06/02/2021 at 06:35, Paul said:

Out of interest what did the kids think of it?