You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

JFK. 9/10. Epic film, Stone's best film for me. Not seen this since around the time it came out when I would have been about 15/16, it's one of those films that is just never on TV, so great to watch it again after all these years. Some brilliant dialogue, especially the long act from Donald Sutherland when his character gives Jim Garrison a full run down everything that led to the coup d'etat and then the final presentation that Costner, as Garrison gives to the jury in the trial against Clay Shaw.

Great stuff all round.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Donnie Brasco. 8.2/10. If ever a movie needed another hour, it was this one.

I've only ever watched this once so thought I'd look it up to watch it. Amazon has it listed at 2hrs6mins. IMDB lists it at 2hrs7mins. Unless I'm mistaken I watched the version listed as the Extended Cut which was 2hrs27mins. It seemed a lot more graphic than I remember it to be.

Edit: Indeed there is an extended cut...

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=4056

14 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Donnie Brasco. 8.2/10. If ever a movie needed another hour, it was this one.

Superb and often overlooked film in that genre. Maybe people don’t see Depp as gritty enough but he’s outstanding in it and Pacino is as usual superb 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Superb and often overlooked film in that genre. Maybe people don’t see Depp as gritty enough but he’s outstanding in it and Pacino is as usual superb 

Depp was poorly cast but the rest of the cast were mostly excellent. Having read the book a few years before seeing the film Depp is the film's version of Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Depp was poorly cast but the rest of the cast were mostly excellent. Having read the book a few years before seeing the film Depp is the film's version of Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher.

Repped for sheer consistency.

I searched for a Donnie Brasco thread the other day & there were about thirty posts from you criticising the casting of Depp, going back years.

11 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Depps Donnie was a lot skinnier and slicker than the real Donnie but if you take the film on its own he's great in it. 

Finally got around to watching Woody Allen's Manhattan yesterday. I was always a fan of his 60's and 70's work, and i knew that this film had the critical acclaim, but i'd never watched it. It was enjoyable, enough, but i have no idea why anyone would say it is funnier than Bananas, Annie Hall or Sleeper (his finest hour).

It looks fantastic, the lingering black and white shots of NYC at the start of the movie, with the Gershwin soundtrack are particularly memorable. But it felt like a slightly more pretentious (and ultimately a lot less funny) version of Annie Hall to me.  Quite uncomfortable with how he wrote in the fact that his 42 year old character is dating a 17 year old girl as well. 

6/10

23 minutes ago, Mook said:

Repped for sheer consistency.

I searched for a Donnie Brasco thread the other day & there were about thirty posts from you criticising the casting of Depp, going back years.

Thanks!

The thing was that it was one of my favourite books and a lot of the characters and some of the details were painted in my head. The book also featured photographs of surveillance shots showing Joe Pistone and he was about the size of say,Michael Madsen, due to him living in a bare apartment and lifting weights regularly too. This helped him fit in with his brawny mobster friends and was part of how well he got into the circle. Being the main character these details were very hard to forget. Depp played the part decently but he just wasn't anywhere near the character he portrayed.

5 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

I did the same thing, felt sure there would be one.

I had a great picture of Pacino & Depp larking about on set but nowhere to post it.

I've deleted it now & will probably shoot myself to death as a result of all this.

7 hours ago, Total Longo said:

Finally got around to watching Woody Allen's Manhattan yesterday. I was always a fan of his 60's and 70's work, and i knew that this film had the critical acclaim, but i'd never watched it. It was enjoyable, enough, but i have no idea why anyone would say it is funnier than Bananas, Annie Hall or Sleeper (his finest hour).

It looks fantastic, the lingering black and white shots of NYC at the start of the movie, with the Gershwin soundtrack are particularly memorable. But it felt like a slightly more pretentious (and ultimately a lot less funny) version of Annie Hall to me.  Quite uncomfortable with how he wrote in the fact that his 42 year old character is dating a 17 year old girl as well. 

6/10

You should watch his next film, Stardust Memories, if you think Manhattan was pretentious. It's his Fellini phase.

BTW, I think Allen has very little work in the 60s. 

The Revenant. 

The bear scene was absolutely mental. The scenery etc was great but I cant see what the huge fuss was all about. Very good film and worth the watch for sure but I've seen Di Caprio deserve an Oscar in far better roles. It's not like he actually got attacked by a bear or slept in a dead horse in real life. 

7.5/10

Cleaver. 8/10. Horror is not usually my thing, but I thought this was really good. It's about a wiseguy with a big mouth and bigger dreams. Danny Baldwin is very adept as the boss and I thought the cinematography was on point. The 90 minutes just flew by and the final shot of the sacred and the propane resonated with me.

Tried to do "Capote" last night. Saw it ages ago and we thought it would be good to do again. But from the word go, I just wanted subtitles. Seymour Hoffman is incredible anyway - particularly so in this - but I could get like two out of every five words and I WANT TO KNOW EVERYTHING HE'S SAYING. Makes Brando in "Apolcalypse Now" sound like Laurence Olivier. Prime doesn't have subtitles for this. Forunately they gave me my £1.99 back when I complained. Ordered the DVD off eBay.

Instead we watched the freebie "Arctic" which was 6.5/10. It gets marked down for the lack of a plane crash (who doesn't like a good plane crash?) and the fact that we'd seen it before - coincidentally on a plane that also didn't crash.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, rb14 said:

Tried to do "Capote" last night. Saw it ages ago and we thought it would be good to do again. But from the word go, I just wanted subtitles. Seymour Hoffman is incredible anyway - particularly so in this - but I could get like two out of every five words and I WANT TO KNOW EVERYTHING HE'S SAYING. Makes Brando in "Apolcalypse Now" sound like Laurence Olivier. Prime doesn't have subtitles for this. Forunately they gave me my £1.99 back when I complained. Ordered the DVD off eBay.

Instead we watched the freebie "Arctic" which was 6.5/10. It gets marked down for the lack of a plane crash (who doesn't like a good plane crash?) and the fact that we'd seen it before - coincidentally on a plane that also didn't crash.

You should check out Infamous with Toby Jones playing Capote...It’s a film that came out around the same time and tends to get overlooked but actually I prefer .
I’m not saying Jones is better than Hoffman but I guess he’s easier to understand and Jones is pretty much brilliant no matter what he’s in ...

”If a Brussel sprout could talk that is how it would sound”

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Cleaver. 8/10. Horror is not usually my thing, but I thought this was really good. It's about a wiseguy with a big mouth and bigger dreams. Danny Baldwin is very adept as the boss and I thought the cinematography was on point. The 90 minutes just flew by and the final shot of the sacred and the propane resonated with me.

Very allegorical I thought.