You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it already but that Elton John film is fucking awful. No cunt comes out of that with any credit.

An inspector calls with Alistair Sim is another gem on last week from the soooperb talking pictures. Alistair Sims Scrooge is the finest character ever portrayed in a Dickens film. 

• Upvote 3

Rocks - 8/10. The story of two kids whose mum leaves them on their own due to her poor mental health. The older child, Rocks, who’s 14, tries to avoid care for herself and her brother by using her friends for support. Great little film on Netflix. 

I also rewatched Dunkirk again and it gets better every time I see it. It’s a genuinely great film, in my view. 10/10. 

9 hours ago, corro said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it already but that Elton John film is fucking awful. No cunt comes out of that with any credit.

An inspector calls with Alistair Sim is another gem on last week from the soooperb talking pictures. Alistair Sims Scrooge is the finest character ever portrayed in a Dickens film. 

An Inspector Calls is a decent film, watched it again myself. 

Alistair Sim face can somehow portray seriousness and comedy at the same time, he's boss. 

40 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

An Inspector Calls is a decent film, watched it again myself. 

Alistair Sim face can somehow portray seriousness and comedy at the same time, he's boss. 

He’s great but I thinking on I jumped the gun a bit there. Some fine characters I’d forgotten  about in them old Dickens adaptations. 

Been watching the Steve McQueen's Small Axe series of films on BBC. They're all amazing, but 'Lovers Rock' and 'Education' are the standouts. The latter is the most genuinely moving thing I've seen on TV in years (removes dust from right eye, again). I challenge anyone not to burn with rage at the injustices depicted, nor melt at the heart displayed. Impeccable film-making and beautifully told stories. 

10/10. No question.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Watched The Godfather again on iPlayer. It's amazing how three hours can just fly by. Scene after iconic scene, no filler, and paced to perfection. As great as Part II is, I still prefer the original, it's as close to a perfect film as I think I'll ever see.

Watched both over Christmas for first time in years. Definitely prefer the Godfather to Part II. Obviously there is no Sonny and Brando’s Vito in Part II but I think the characters such as Clemenza, Luca Brasi, Sollozzo are more enjoyable than the characters in Part II such as Roth and Pentangeli. Going to give Part III a watch at some stage as I’ve never seen it before.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Utah said:

Watched both over Christmas for first time in years. Definitely prefer the Godfather to Part II. Obviously there is no Sonny and Brando’s Vito in Part II but I think the characters such as Clemenza, Luca Brasi, Sollozzo are more enjoyable than the characters in Part II such as Roth and Pentangeli. Going to give Part III a watch at some stage as I’ve never seen it before.

Clamenza is in Part II.

347add2c683811eb4b2c9fec2534a086.jpg

Technically Sonny is too, right at the end.

1 hour ago, Johnny Utah said:

Original Godfather 3 or The Godfather Coda though? I haven't seen the new cut yet myself. 

1 minute ago, Paul said:

Soul - 9/10 (need to watch it again to see if it’s a 10, but it might be). This is the most adult and most cinematic film Pixar have made. It’s fantastic. 

I don't normally watch cartoons but I saw Max Roach gets a shout in this so might have to give it a watch.

7 minutes ago, Mook said:

I don't normally watch cartoons but I saw Max Roach gets a shout in this so might have to give it a watch.

A Tribe Called Quest too. Only finished watching three minutes before kick off tonight so haven’t checked the credits. The playing is amazing though. 

• Upvote 1

On 29/12/2020 at 14:01, Bjornebye said:

The Midnight Sky (Netflix)

Clooney helps save humanity from the Arctic. Actually quite decent. Very good ending. 7/10

We Can Be Heroes (Netflix) 

Kids film starring the two DEA actors from Narcos. Aliens attack the planet, the heroes get taken prisoner so their kids have to save the day. If you've got kids between 5 and 10 they will love it. I thought it was great. 8/10 

Kids really liked WCBH. Then again, it’s in the same “universe” as the Shark Boy and Lava Girl movie, and I believe possibly the 4 Spy Kids movies. 7/10

Soul. Really good film, but as mentioned it did drag a bit. 8/10

Wolfwalkers. Excellent film, kept the kids wrapped up for the whole thing. It’s nice to see a kids film where the story is more important than the animation. 9/10

Looking at my numbers, though, it’s WCBHeroes that the kids have had on at least once a day since watching it. 

Sergei Bondarchuk's Waterloo

Good film, by film standards very historically accurate. The old epics are pretty amazing when you think the battle scenes actually fully coordinated and filmed with thousands of extras, in this casr 17,000 soldiers of the Soviet Army.