Elite

Rate the last film you watched...

23 minutes ago, John102 said:

Yeah, just read up on the White Saviour aspect of this film and it does paint a rather different light on it. Still enjoyed the film though.

9 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

Watched Hidden Figures last night. An account of how, once again, the contributions of non-white people to notable events get airbrushed from history. Some of the supporting cast are a little one dimensional but it's a simultaneously sobering and uplifting film and worth watching. 8/10.

That's a brilliant film.

Amazing what they did, but shocking how they were treated.

On 25/12/2020 at 20:45, Elite said:

The Devil All The Time - 8.5/10 

Cracking film this, the best film I've seen since 3 Billboards. Could easily watch it again tomorrow it's that good.

Just watched this based on your review & thought it was very good. Easily the best Netflix film I've seen I think.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, corro said:

Couple of classics on talking pictures the last couple of days. The Winslow boy and Hobson’s choice. Talking pictures is fucking sooooperb

Hobson's Choice is brilliant.

• Upvote 1

Oceans 8 - Complete meh. Anne Hathaway looked fit. 

Bumblebee - Complete meh. Still better than the Michael Bay films. Hailee Steinfeld’s performance probably goes above and beyond its requirement. 

John Wick - Above average, mindless shoot ‘em up.

An Education 4/10

It's based on the true story of 16 year old Lynn Barber in 1960s London. It comes across as silly school girl gives up on her education plans as she's swept of her feet by a wealthy man twice her age and is also given the consent to go for it by both her parents.

Maybe it's was an era thing but I don't think the same situation would be seen in the same light if it happened today. 

On 25/12/2020 at 20:45, Elite said:

The Devil All The Time - 8.5/10 

Cracking film this, the best film I've seen since 3 Billboards. Could easily watch it again tomorrow it's that good.

Good shout with this movie. Really enjoyed it. Some dark parts of America. 

• Upvote 1

Soul 9/10.

Probably a mark higher than I would have given it had I watched it on my own, but enjoying the pleasure it gave the kids boosts it close to a perfect score.

If I’m being picky, it’s maybe twenty minutes too long, but then I had twenty more minutes ‘being present’ with my two boys. There might be a lesson in that somewhere. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Butch said:

Watched Midnight Sky, fucking hell. Shit. 

0-10

P2rU.gif

I managed about half an hour of that before I switched it off.

0-10 is being generous.

I like a good sci fi, but that was fucking bollocks.

13 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

Soul 9/10.

Probably a mark higher than I would have given it had I watched it on my own, but enjoying the pleasure it gave the kids boosts it close to a perfect score.

If I’m being picky, it’s maybe twenty minutes too long, but then I had twenty more minutes ‘being present’ with my two boys. There might be a lesson in that somewhere. 

Any good for a 4 year old with  no attention span?

1 minute ago, Elite said:

There’s probably enough in it to keep him/her entertained for a bit but it might be better leaving this one on the list until they’re a few years older. By then, they’ll certainly appreciate it much more than at a very young age.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Elite said:

What Yorkshire Red said. I'd say that even quite a few 8 or 9 year olds might get a bit bored of it after a short while. Animation is brilliant though,but for a film based around music there wasn't that much music in it.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

I managed about half an hour of that before I switched it off.

0-10 is being generous.

I like a good sci fi, but that was fucking bollocks.

Moon is a good one. 

17 minutes ago, Butch said:

Moon is a good one. 

Yeah, I've seen that one a couple of times (fell asleep pissed the first time).

Directed by David Bowie's son if I'm not mistaken.

You're right, good film.

The Midnight Sky (Netflix)

Clooney helps save humanity from the Arctic. Actually quite decent. Very good ending. 7/10

We Can Be Heroes (Netflix) 

Kids film starring the two DEA actors from Narcos. Aliens attack the planet, the heroes get taken prisoner so their kids have to save the day. If you've got kids between 5 and 10 they will love it. I thought it was great. 8/10 

On 28/12/2020 at 19:27, VladimirIlyich said:

Soul 7.5/10.

Very enjoyable and well worth a watch. Not particularly original though.

Would be interested in hearing what is out there like it? I quite enjoyed it, as did my lad, so wouldn’t mind seeing the others. 

12 minutes ago, Numero said:

Would be interested in hearing what is out there like it? I quite enjoyed it, as did my lad, so wouldn’t mind seeing the others. 

I've banged on a bit about it, but Wolfwalkers is a great animated story which I actually preferred to Soul. 

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt5198068/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Wreck It Ralph is great too, there's another one that features characters as emotions too but I forget it's title - that was great too.