Quantcast
Rate the last film you watched... - Page 1225 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Elite

Rate the last film you watched...

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm - Follow up to the 14 year old Borat and you can feel both the character and the method creaking heavily under the age and notoriety of the character. The use of his daughter to do the heavy lifting with the interviews does kind of work but it can't escape the age of the concept. In the end the whole thing feels quite safe in comparison to more modern comedy. It had a few funny bits and I came away thinking a more heavily scripted story would have served the character better but then Sacha Baron Cohen's comedy has never translated well into that field either. Okay but didn't really have any business being made now. 4 out of 10.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Paul said:

The Trial of the Chicago 7 - 7/10. Standard Sorkin fare: heavy on the dialogue and liberal politics; short on anything resembling a rounded female character. The story itself is incredible and a timely reminder that attempts to subvert democracy by the state are not a new phenomenon. 

I watched this a few days ago and thought it merely alright.

The attempts to insert comedy really detracted from what could have been an excellent film. It was also half an hour too long and Baron Cohen's accent was flipping awful.

The Bourne Legacy - 9/10. This is chronically underrated, in my view, and often dismissed just because Damon isn’t in it. It also gets criticised for the conceit of the chems/viralling out thing. However, it doesn’t take much of a suspension of disbelief to buy into that and once you do the film is fantastic. It fits seamlessly into the existing world of Jason Bourne and yet also feels true to itself.

The pacing is brilliant and I really like the narrative too. The final big chase scene which extends across 25 minutes, is superb. The casting is boss as well. In fact I’d go as far as to say I prefer this to at least two of the other four Bourne movies. 

7 hours ago, RedKnight said:

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm - Follow up to the 14 year old Borat and you can feel both the character and the method creaking heavily under the age and notoriety of the character. The use of his daughter to do the heavy lifting with the interviews does kind of work but it can't escape the age of the concept. In the end the whole thing feels quite safe in comparison to more modern comedy. It had a few funny bits and I came away thinking a more heavily scripted story would have served the character better but then Sacha Baron Cohen's comedy has never translated well into that field either. Okay but didn't really have any business being made now. 4 out of 10.

I actually turned it off halfway through, just bored me to be honest, I dunno if that brand of comedy has had its day or if it was just a bad film.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I actually turned it off halfway through, just bored me to be honest, I dunno if that brand of comedy has had its day or if it was just a bad film.

I think it's a bit of both. The comedy is dated and the film was a bit tired anyway.

Just watched the greatest showman, what am I missing? Was like a channel 5 version of the X Men with a soundtrack by Michael Ball. Five pushy parents out of 10.

Do The Right Thing - 10/10. Just watched it with my daughter for the first time and she loved it. 30+ years old and as relevant (and entertaining) as ever. Great film. 

• Upvote 1

Burden - True tory, young redneck meets a girl and her son, decides to leave the ku klux klan. Shit goes down. Very fucking good. Forest Whitaker is in it. 8/10. 

Over the Moon

Netflix animation, clearly catered for the Chinese crowd. It's very formulaic, girl loses mum, dad moving on, she's not ready etc she ends up going to moon with her animal sidekicks and step brother she doesn't want to give a gift to a goddess. 

It's actually very good with funny characters, great visuals and catchy songs. Well worth a watch. 

3.5 Paulie's our of 5

18 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Burden - True tory, young redneck meets a girl and her son, decides to leave the ku klux klan. Shit goes down. Very fucking good. Forest Whitaker is in it. 8/10. 

Watched that last week. Thought it was decent as well.

3 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Watched that last week. Thought it was decent as well.

I didn't know it was a true story until the very end. Tom Wilkinson isn't half good at playing a nasty arl bastard. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I didn't know it was a true story until the very end. Tom Wilkinson isn't half good at playing a nasty arl bastard. 

He's one of my favourite actors.

Brilliant in Selma and Best Exotic Marigold Hotel as well.

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

He's one of my favourite actors.

Brilliant in Selma and Best Exotic Marigold Hotel as well.

Haven't seen either. He's a cunt in Rush Hour. 

6 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Selma is brilliant.

Enjoyed Burden too but I thought Loving was much better, and neither one is as good as Mississippi Burning.

Trompet Pitchers.

Hardly any film is. 

On 26/10/2020 at 16:55, Tony Moanero said:

In the Heat of the Night is great.

F19F8B18-D43A-45C0-8F30-60EBD68A824D.jpeg

I watched this again recently - you're not wrong. Also watched Mississippi Burning - also great.

• Upvote 1