You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

18 minutes ago, Mudface said:

For the first hour, sure. The rest of it- and there's a lot of- just collapses in on itself.

I really liked the end, and actually thought the second half was really tense. I think it’s underrated in general. Ol’ wolverine is really good. Not sure why he didn’t use his claws though. All part of the mystery I guess. 

11 hours ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

I really liked the end, and actually thought the second half was really tense. I think it’s underrated in general. Ol’ wolverine is really good. Not sure why he didn’t use his claws though. All part of the mystery I guess. 

Dunno about under-rated, looking around it was critically acclaimed, financially successful and has an 8.2 public score on IMDB. It didn't piss me off as much as fucking Sicario, but the plot holes and sheer length of it were too much for me. Well-acted and beautifully shot though.

6 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Dunno about under-rated, looking around it was critically acclaimed, financially successful and has an 8.2 public score on IMDB. It didn't piss me off as much as fucking Sicario, but the plot holes and sheer length of it were too much for me. Well-acted and beautifully shot though.

I’m fairly sure Sicario is still going. That could pause halfway through and it’d take 15 minutes before I’d notice. 

• Upvote 1

O' Brother Where Art Thou - 9/10.

I haven't watched it in a few years but gave it another viewing and it's still a uniquely brilliant yarn. The use and choice of music throughout is done better than any other film ever for me. My favourite Coen Brothers movie.

The Lighthouse 8/10

More of a play than a film. Beautifully shot and absolutely out there but I was hooked throughout. Two isolated lighthouse keepers decents into madness captured well.

Black and white and shot in 1.19:1 ratio.  

How Willem Defoe and (especially) Robert Pattinson were overlooked for oscars escapes me.

Really well acted, very surreal film but I enjoyed it a lot. 

Dont fuck with seagulls 

950D1183-64E3-45AF-9DB7-3FEC0DD260EB.jpeg

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Juniper said:

The Lighthouse 8/10

More of a play than a film. Beautifully shot and absolutely out there but I was hooked throughout. Two isolated lighthouse keepers decents into madness captured well.

Black and white and shot in 1.19:1 ratio.  

How Willem Defoe and (especially) Robert Pattinson were overlooked for oscars escapes me.

Really well acted, very surreal film but I enjoyed it a lot. 

Dont fuck with seagulls 

950D1183-64E3-45AF-9DB7-3FEC0DD260EB.jpeg

Loved it, hilarious film. The seagull stand off and the paraffin and honey had me laughing out loud.

5 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

The Babysitter: Killer Queen.

5/10. I liked the first film, it was fast and fun with dark humour, this is much the same but doesn't quite do it to the same level as the first.

I liked the first one in a popcorn way but I think this was a bit of a drop off. I’d have gone 4/10 but 5’s not unreasonable for the surfboard alone.

I had my first cinema trip since The 'Rona today and saw Tenet.

So, the first hour or so I really enjoyed. I read not to get hung up on the "inversion" so I didn't and really enjoyed it.

Then, I completely lost it in Estonia, turnstiles, the car chase and whatever happened next. I've been reading about it since I got home and I'm slightly wiser but not much. 

After an initial bit of head scratching, films like The Matrix, The Prestige and Inception were actually straightforwards enough. They all make sense in the end. But I've no idea about this. I don't even think 1 additional viewing will help. I genuinely think I'd have to take notes.

Also, some of the audio was just unlistenable, I couldn't make out a word that was said at time. 

9/10 for the first hour.

???/10 for the second hour.

7 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I had my first cinema trip since The 'Rona today and saw Tenet.

So, the first hour or so I really enjoyed. I read not to get hung up on the "inversion" so I didn't and really enjoyed it.

Then, I completely lost it in Estonia, turnstiles, the car chase and whatever happened next. I've been reading about it since I got home and I'm slightly wiser but not much. 

After an initial bit of head scratching, films like The Matrix, The Prestige and Inception were actually straightforwards enough. They all make sense in the end. But I've no idea about this. I don't even think 1 additional viewing will help. I genuinely think I'd have to take notes.

Also, some of the audio was just unlistenable, I couldn't make out a word that was said at time. 

9/10 for the first hour.

???/10 for the second hour.

Everyone is saying the same thing. I'm not going to bother with it to be honest, sounds very frustrating. Nolan is due a bad film, hopefully this gets it out of his system as it sounds as though he's tangled himself in knots.

1 minute ago, Elite said:

Everyone is saying the same thing. I'm not going to bother with it to be honest, sounds very frustrating. Nolan is due a bad film, hopefully this gets it out of his system as it sounds as though he's tangled himself in knots.

I remember reading it was getting delayed indefinitely. I wonder if they thought it's a bit shite, let's not release it but then remembered it cost a fortune to make it.

Get Duked - Best described as the Inbetweeners meets Hot Fuzz but not nearly as funny as either. Budget restrictions clearly kept it a short film with mostly outdoor locations but it never seems to grasp it's own decent premise. The trailer is better edited than the film and it feels like it's missing maybe 15 minutes to add a bit more context and plot development. 5 out of 10

Primal Fear - Ed Norton has killed a high-ranking member of the Catholic church in Chicago, Richard Gere is the flashy lawyer who takes on the defence case for the publicity. It's fairly formulaic but it's so '90s that it should have a baggy shirt wrapped around it. More interesting for being a film that studios just don't make any more, there were loads of mid-budget dramas around up until the '90s but the air has completely gone out of the market now. Netflix might make one but then completely Netflix it by having a no-name director, a supporting cast of people from their other productions and one star name to fool people into thinking it's worth their time; fucking Netflix. Anyway, Primal Fear is exactly the type of film you want on Saturday night after Match of the Day is finished but you're not tired. 6.5 out of 10.

Le Mans 66 - Retelling of Ford's attempt to win Le Mans with Carroll Shelby and Ken Miles designing, testing and racing the car. Ford come out of it looking like miserable, stupid, arrogant Americans and Ferrari come out of it looking like enigmatic, Italian stereotypes but the film is really good fun. Matt Damon is terrifically charming as Carroll Shelby and Christian Bale is prickly but likeable as Ken Miles. The sort of sport film that you can watch and at any time and be entertained. 8.5 out of 10

• Upvote 1

On 13/09/2020 at 20:26, Anubis said:

The Wretched - 4/10. By the numbers horror. With a surprising lack of gore. And horror. And suspense.

A horror film without horror is an interesting idea.

I wonder if a musical without music could improve the film?

I watched Goodfellas again, thee was some discussion a couple of months ago about Godfather vs. Goodfellas. Goodfellas is good, or very good, but there is really no comparison with I and II. I think Scorsese would be embarrassed himself if someone tried to argue Goodfellas was better.

19 hours ago, John102 said:

Bill and Ted 3

3/10

Awful. The kids are absolutely dreadful characters, annoying as fuck

Agree, it’s this film that should actually have been called ‘The Wretched’

It’s even managed to make me dislike John Wick which is an absolute banging offence. 

I’ve no idea why they made it and 3/10 is frankly laughable as a score. I give it minus 23.

Quite possibly the lowest part of 2020.