You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

2 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Tenet

Going to have to watch it again before scoring it. There's a lot of mumbling during parts of the film that really doesn't help the viewing experience. So going to have to give it another watch to see if it makes a bit more sense second time around.

Barry Norman over here.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Tenet

Going to have to watch it again before scoring it. There's a lot of mumbling during parts of the film that really doesn't help the viewing experience. So going to have to give it another go to see if it makes a bit more sense second time around.

I also found that with The Prestige. The voice volumes were quite low so had to have the volume up to hear them, then special effects sounds would start and I knew how Marty McFly felt.

8 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I also found that with The Prestige. The voice volumes were quite low so had to have the volume up to hear them, then special effects sounds would start and I knew how Marty McFly felt.

I think he has started to do it on purpose. Mumble half the script, make the rest of the film flashy and then when you say it's barely legible the director and his fans can say you're thick instead of admit the film is a bit shit and it wouldn't hold up if you're allowed to actually hear what's scripted.

But admittedly it's a very shiny shit.

• Upvote 2

The Talented Mr Ripley - 9/10. This is a cracking film; a real psychological thriller. The performances from the cast are universally great but Phillip Seymour Hoffman is on another level. The very different but still boss Ripley’s Game is next. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Paul said:

The Talented Mr Ripley - 9/10. This is a cracking film; a real psychological thriller. The performances from the cast are universally great but Phillip Seymour Hoffman is on another level. The very different but still boss Ripley’s Game is next. 

Do you like the Ripley books?

Jóhann Jóhannsson’s ‘Last And First Men’

He’s responsible for some great soundtracks and this is first ‘movie’

Its in black and white and Tilda Swindon ‘narrates’, most people would make a decision about reading on based on this info alone...

Bruce, not wearing a beret ‘sixth form shite that wouldn’t seem out of place at Doncaster sixth form ‘showcase evening’ pretentious shite that suffers from its own excesses’ 3/10

Bruce, wearing a beret ‘genuinely interesting, but over aught. Some interesting ideas and the cinematography is mesmerising in places. Swinton’s monologue is a nice rumination on the questions that lie at the heart of humanity and openly plays with the fears these create. A strong debut that show great promise, let down by over thinking in places.’ 7/10

Overall, go for a nice long walk instead and have a bit of a think, it’ll do you more good.

Tenet - 8/10. Not as accomplished as Inception and a bit disjointed. Can’t decide if it’s clever, or trying to be too clever for its own good, but you have to hand it to Nolan. At least he’s trying to make blockbuster films that make you pay attention. It’ll unravel a bit under scrutiny, and the sound mix needs altering - the heavy sound of IMAX does make listening to some of the dialogue difficult - but has some interesting ideas, and excellent set pieces. I envy the stuntman who got to cause a bit of destruction with one vehicle. Won’t say any more than that.

Tenet 0/10.

Absolute garbage and not simply because I’m not bright enough to have understood it.

ive just been to the new cineworld in york, which was pleasant as we had the whole screen to ourselves, but that’s where the positives end I’m afraid.

2 hours and 30 minutes after sitting down to watch a film, one with Russian baddies to boot, and I’ve walked out not being able to tell you the names of any character other than the bint we’re supposed to have empathy for (I’ll get to her later) and a chap called Neil. Fucking Neil.

I’d be on board with the complexities of the story and the “science” behind it - which I accept I’d possibly “get” a bit more on second viewing - if I gave a single shit about a single character in it.

The woman we’re supposed to empathise with because she keeps whinging on about her son... Well I’m sorry but I struggle to find much to like about a privileged white elite who chose to marry a Russian oligarch arms dealer but doesn’t really like him these days. Worst female character I’ve seen in a film in ages.

I stopped giving any fucks at all with at least an hour to go, and only sat through the rest of it in case there was a big reveal I would’ve needed to have seen to have a fully informed opinion.

There wasn’t.

Garbage.

• Upvote 1

Ripley’s Game - 6.5/10. This is nowhere near as good as The Talented Mr Ripley or even as good as I remembered it being. The pacing and tension are both

pretty weak given the narrative and nature of the main character. John Malkovich is decent though as a much more explicitly at ease sociopathic Tom than Matt Damon’s new born psycho. 

10 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Tenet 0/10.

Absolute garbage and not simply because I’m not bright enough to have understood it.

ive just been to the new cineworld in york, which was pleasant as we had the whole screen to ourselves, but that’s where the positives end I’m afraid.

2 hours and 30 minutes after sitting down to watch a film, one with Russian baddies to boot, and I’ve walked out not being able to tell you the names of any character other than the bint we’re supposed to have empathy for (I’ll get to her later) and a chap called Neil. Fucking Neil.

I’d be on board with the complexities of the story and the “science” behind it - which I accept I’d possibly “get” a bit more on second viewing - if I gave a single shit about a single character in it.

The woman we’re supposed to empathise with because she keeps whinging on about her son... Well I’m sorry but I struggle to find much to like about a privileged white elite who chose to marry a Russian oligarch arms dealer but doesn’t really like him these days. Worst female character I’ve seen in a film in ages.

I stopped giving any fucks at all with at least an hour to go, and only sat through the rest of it in case there was a big reveal I would’ve needed to have seen to have a fully informed opinion.

There wasn’t.

Garbage.

Summed it up perfectly  I thought it was utter shite too...

Even the start of the movie you can kind of get away with that in say Batman as you know he’s going to get involved in it but that was roughly when I stated to get confused as to what the fuck is going on (or maybe that’s just me ) and it didn’t get any better the longer it went on or maybe like you I’d stopped caring .

Usually with some movies you can watch them again and think I enjoyed it better second time around but there’s no way I’m sitting through that again.

As for Nolan apart from disappearing up his own arse with this I do like his films but this playing background music all the way through is getting a bit tedious .

Official Secrets - Account of Katherine Gun's leaking of a GCHQ email that instructed them to search for dirt on UN Security Council members in order to influence voting on war with Iraq. It's important stuff but it never really feels epoch-shattering in it's revelations. No one wanted that war, we knew the US were lying and it didn't bring down governments. However, they do the best with the material and it's an interesting, if slightly clichéd, film with a slightly anti-climatic ending. It's elevated by the performances of Keira Knightley and Ralph Fiennes and feels more paranoid and urgent than the actual story probably provided. 7 out of 10.

• Upvote 1

Tenet - Unscorable. Looks great and the action scenes are ace, but the whole thing is just bewildering (and it’s not helped by much of the dialogue being unintelligible due to more Bane-esque - and timely, I suppose - mask wearing). Nolan literally tells the audience we won’t understand and he’s right! Certainly his McGuffin will fuel the internet for years to come as people try - and fail - to explain it all. 

He’s gone a bit too “Emperor’s new clothes” with this film, for me. I think I enjoyed it, but it’s the least immersive blockbuster I’ve ever seen. It’s almost like he wants to stop you getting drawn into the narrative, which is fucking bizarre. He definitely needs to pause and take stock of his career to date and where he’s going with it after this, as I’m pretty certain it will bomb as word of mouth gets out in a Covid-hit cinema landscape. 

There’s so much to admire about an auteur director making original stories on this scale in modern cinema. However, he’s over-egged it this time. As my Nan would’ve said, he’s far too clever for his own good. Even his own characters seem confused, with John David Washington - who I think has huge potential as a film star and is very charismatic - just looking bewildered throughout. 

I think he needs to change tack completely for a bit and certainly ditch his whole time schtick as he’s totally done it to death with Tenet. The irony is that Dunkirk seemed to be the start of a new, more interesting stage of his career. This though has taken him so far up his own arse, he might not ever escape. 

Having said all that, I still think I enjoyed it and I’ll definitely watch it again. Like I said, unscorable.  

• Upvote 1

I genuinely don’t think Tenet is that confusing. I think it’s a little unclear in its transitions in the final action sequence, and a bit disjointed, but for me Nolan has probably chosen the wrong media to try to tell the story. A 6 to 8 episode mini-series would have given the story time to breathe and allowed him to work out some of the kinks, instead of shoehorning it into a 2hr plus film. That, and sort out your sound mixer.

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

I genuinely don’t think Tenet is that confusing. I think it’s a little unclear in its transitions in the final action sequence, and a bit disjointed, but for me Nolan has probably chosen the wrong media to try to tell the story. A 6 to 8 episode mini-series would have given the story time to breathe and allowed him to work out some of the kinks, instead of shoehorning it into a 2hr plus film. That, and sort out your sound mixer.

IMAX screen and Dolby Über-bastard. Wasn't my mixer. 

On 29/08/2020 at 11:19, Stickman said:

Summed it up perfectly  I thought it was utter shite too...

Even the start of the movie you can kind of get away with that in say Batman as you know he’s going to get involved in it but that was roughly when I stated to get confused as to what the fuck is going on (or maybe that’s just me ) and it didn’t get any better the longer it went on or maybe like you I’d stopped caring .

Usually with some movies you can watch them again and think I enjoyed it better second time around but there’s no way I’m sitting through that again.

As for Nolan apart from disappearing up his own arse with this I do like his films but this playing background music all the way through is getting a bit tedious .

This - all day long. Self-indulgent, pretentious bollocks. Steaming turd of a movie. Went in looking forward to it and was on the verge of walking out after 20 minutes. I’m afraid King Christopher Nolan is in the all together