You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

The Green Mile - 9.5/10. What a great film this is. In some senses it’s the archetypal  Stephen King story adapted for the screen because it is a compelling tale in its own right but with a supernatural twist, something neither Shawshank or Stand By Me have. 

The cast here is absolutely ridiculous, by the way. So many incredible character actors with every role, no matter how big or small, played to perfection. 

I think the film is arguably too long at just over three hours and yet I don’t know how you’d cut it without losing something; it certainly doesn’t drag at any rate. 

My daughter reluctantly started to watch this with us last night, having never seen it before. However by the end she was hooked, sobbing her heart out at John Coffey’s story. In short, it’s a great film; one that isn’t universally loved or acclaimed, it seems - but definitely great, in my view. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Paul said:

The Green Mile - 9.5/10. What a great film this is. In some senses it’s the archetypal  Stephen King story adapted for the screen because it is a compelling tale in its own right but with a supernatural twist, something neither Shawshank or Stand By Me have. 

The cast here is absolutely ridiculous, by the way. So many incredible character actors with every role, no matter how big or small, played to perfection. 

I think the film is arguably too long at just over three hours and yet I don’t know how you’d cut it without losing something and it doesn’t drag anyway. 

My daughter reluctantly started to watch this with us last night, having never seen it before. However by the end she hooked, sobbing her heart out at John Coffey’s story. In short, a great film; one that isn’t universally loved or acclaimed, I know - but definitely great, in my view. 

Its better than Shawshank for me. Stand By Me is still my favourite King adaption but that's because it has sentimental value as I grew up watching it countless times as a kid.

10 hours ago, Numero said:

BTW, King is pretty much a God at this point. When you can mention those films based off of his novels/as you know he has been banging them out. Incredible guy. 

The Green Mile wasn't really a novel though as it was released as a series of books over a period of I don't know how long,(kind of like Dickens used to do in a paper of that era) but if you read the full book it's like binging on Netflix.

No it was released as 6 books, The two dead girls, the mouse on the mile, Coffey's hands, the bad death of Eduard Delacroix, Night Journey and Coffey on the mile. It was a great way to read them, having to wait until the next one was released I don't think they were that far apart actually they were all released in 1996, I guess I must have all first editions looking at them. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Richard Jewell - 4/10

Can't believe Clint made this one, he must have done it half-asleep.

Such a shame because I love Sam Rockwell and was looking forward to it.

A few on here seemed to like it but I couldnt watch more than about an hour. Thought it was pretty poor too.

8 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

A few on here seemed to like it but I couldnt watch more than about an hour. Thought it was pretty poor too.

Not enough laser beams, space ships, star battles and imaginary mind control abilities? 

2 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Richard Jewell - 4/10

Can't believe Clint made this one, he must have done it half-asleep.

Such a shame because I love Sam Rockwell and was looking forward to it.

It was based on true events and I enjoyed it for that reason. 

Midway - 4\10

Mixed feelings about this one. If you can get past the cheese and a fucking awful script then under the shitness is an ok film struggling to get out. A somewhat decent attempt to present the main historical facts smothered by cringe.

7 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Not enough laser beams, space ships, star battles and imaginary mind control abilities? 

It was based on true events and I enjoyed it for that reason. 

If you read my revues you'll know I am not a fan of action films or superhero shit. Although Richard Jewell was based on real events it came over as reminiscent of a tv movie and I thought the acting nor script were more than average. Which is a shame considering how good Sam Rockwell and Kathy Bates often are in films.

26 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Shawshank is mercifully less of a fairy tale. Although, I remember a review in one of the trade papers when it came out, ridiculing the idea of so many nice, highly moral people ending up in jail together.

That's why I prefer The Green Mile, they are all proper criminals. Shawshank reminds of the jail in Paddington 2.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I dont remember too many anal rapes in Paddington 2 , but I haven't seen the directors cut yet.

I wouldn't bother with Paddington, Postman Pat is where it's at... 

CautiousDishonestIrukandjijellyfish-small (1).gif

Guest Pistonbroke

The Old Guard. Not a bad concept but poorly executed. They've left it open for a second film, hopefully they get some decent writers who can improve things. 5.5/10.