You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

On 05/07/2020 at 12:41, Fluter in Dakota said:

Peanut Butter Falcon. Haven't seen Shia LeBeouf in a film for a while. Good comedy drama reminds alot of Little Miss Sunshine centered around wrestling. Very enjoyable, 8/10.

On 05/07/2020 at 12:41, Fluter in Dakota said:

Haven't seen any other mentions of this. 96% on rotten tomatoes. Get it watched, fuckers. 

Just got round to this today, I thought it was a very watchable, feel good movie. Thanks for the recommendation, I'd say 8/10 is a sound shout.

8 hours ago, mattyq said:

Rambo: Last Blood

Weird revenge fantasy with geriatric Stallone

Deeply unpleasant 2.5/10

I read the synopsis of that after some posts earlier in the thread- so Rambo retires to a ranch in Arizona or something, and digs a load of booby trapped tunnels, just in case he gets invaded by baddies? That's either amazing foresight, or a ridiculously flimsy plot device to set up the finale.

On 13/07/2020 at 21:32, Paul said:

Miami Vice - 9/10. This is one seriously underrated film. It looks incredible, it’s gritty as fuck and the casting is ace. The framing is amazing with loads of ever so slightly low angle shots that leave the Miami skies filling half the frame. If it wasn’t for the mumbly dialogue and the very occasional moment that ever so slightly hints at cheese (mainly the tunes), it’d be perfect. 

Is this the Jamie Foxx and Colin Farrell one?????

The Equaliser 2 - 7.5/10. I watched this with absolutely no expectations and really enjoyed it. If you accept the premise that this 60 year old fella is super tough, super clever and super trained then it’s a really entertaining action thriller. Denzel can do stuff like this with his eyes shut and still be charismatic, believable and watchable. I know I’ve seen the first one but can’t remember anything about it. This feels better though. 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Yep. Not aware of any other. 

Just like Jose, I'm sure I've seen it before but couldn't remember anything about it. I started it last night, was knackered so only got about half an hour in. Its not grabbing me like a 9/10 would if I'm honest mate and the suits they wear are awful. I'll watch the rest probably tomorrow night. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Just like Jose, I'm sure I've seen it before but couldn't remember anything about it. I started it last night, was knackered so only got about half an hour in. Its not grabbing me like a 9/10 would if I'm honest mate and the suits they wear are awful. I'll watch the rest probably tomorrow night. 

It’s needed multiple rewatches for me to get to this point, but I’m there. It’s brilliant. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It's directed by Michael Mann - I think he directed Heat, Manhunter and the film about cigarettes with Russell Crowe (The Insider I think). These are all very slow, methodical films that end up grabbing you by the throat towards the end.

2 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

It's directed by Michael Mann - I think he directed Heat, Manhunter and the film about cigarettes with Russell Crowe (The Insider I think). These are all very slow, methodical films that end up grabbing you by the throat towards the end.

Yeah. Collateral, The Last Of The Mohicans, Ali, Thief and The Keep too. He’s right up there as a director in my view. But you’re right - there’s nothing instantaneous about his films. 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

The Equaliser 2 - 7.5/10. I watched this with absolutely no expectations and really enjoyed it. If you accept the premise that this 60 year old fella is super tough, super clever and super trained then it’s a really entertaining action thriller. Denzel can do stuff like this with his eyes shut and still be charismatic, believable and watchable. I know I’ve seen the first one but can’t remember anything about it. This feels better though. 

They're alright the Equalizer films but they kind of miss 'the point' of the concept as it was established in the TV show, it never really delves into why he feels the need to right wrongs or pay a penance for what he's done, it's more a case of he's in the wrong place at the wrong time (in the first one) or something happens to his old mate in the second one. 

There was also something boss about an ageing Englishman taking on hoods in 80s New York, it seemed daft on the face of it but, when you think about it, if you were a real life James Bond who'd spent decades taking on the Russians and fighting behind enemy lines, why would you be scared of a couple of scruffs in an alleyway with knives? 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Is the insider in a similar vein to the likes of Dark Waters and Spotlight?

10 minutes ago, Elite said:

Is the insider in a similar vein to the likes of Dark Waters and Spotlight?

I haven't seen spotlight yet, but I would say it has a similar premise to dark waters. However I would say it is much more focused on The Insider as he has so much more to do with the industry in the first place. Absolutely incredible story and brilliant film. One of my (if not the most) personal favourite 'based on true events' interpretations. 

14 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I haven't seen spotlight yet, but I would say it has a similar premise to dark waters. However I would say it is much more focused on The Insider as he has so much more to do with the industry in the first place. Absolutely incredible story and brilliant film. One of my (if not the most) personal favourite 'based on true events' interpretations. 

I'll deffo watch it, totally bypassed me.

Spotlight is ace, get it watched.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Elite said:

I'll deffo watch it, totally bypassed me.

Spotlight is ace, get it watched.

Consider it on the list.

I remember watching The Insider at the cinema. I was one of about 8 people in the theatre. It received no marketing whatsoever and was a fantastic film. Definitely an under-rated gem, as was Shawshank Redemption which was hardly watched in the theatres.

5 hours ago, Paul said:

It’s needed multiple rewatches for me to get to this point, but I’m there. It’s brilliant. 

I will have to watch it again too, all I remember is that the plot felt completely over the top and that I kept thinking, Mann is faster than a dope smuggler's boat when it comes to spending what is left of the Heat credit.

The Survivalist - pretty good 2015 British film about a fella who lives on his own in the woods after some kind of humanity apocalypse. Needless to say bad shit happens. Not for everyone, but if you like low budget and British you might enjoy. 7/10.

(Note - ignore the blurb, it's not really like Mad Max). 

The_Survivalist_(film).png

Loving

Based on the true story of mixed race couple Richard and Mildred Loving and their persecution and subsequent legal battle against the state of Virginia.

Some top drawer performances, especially by the lass who plays Mildred, in this heartbreaking and incredibly angering film.

Taking a step back and it's just incredible to me that even as recently as the 1950s, such legitimised, government sponsored racism should be so brazen and callous. Very topical, it's heartwarming just how far things have progressed in such a relatively short time span but there's still so much further to go.

BLM and Loving is a wonderful film about multi-culturalism, determination and struggle.

8/10 highly recommend. Fen / Kodi

Safe House - 7.5/10. Seen this few times and it’s sound. Denzel is great in pretty much every single thing he does and this is no exception. Ryan Reynolds is good playing totally straight as a rookie CIA agent here too. If you like action thrillers, this is a good ‘un. 

Guest Pistonbroke
15 hours ago, Paul said:

I actually just finished watching this either side of a certain game. Denzel certainly carries the film but it is a bit disjointed, pointless build up which could have been covered by an opening scene rather than the way they achieved it and the added side plots which were far too short and only submitted so you can see the outcome at the end. You also have to factor in special forces splitting up and entering buildings by themselves when they have the odds stacked in their favour, would never happen in reality. Still enjoyable enough though and it filled a few hours. I'd go with a 6.5/10. 

14 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I'm nowhere near as big on Denzel Washington as many of you guys seem to be. He always seems to be just a bit too full of himself and, reminiscent of a latter day Pacino, he's very prone to over-acting.

Hoo har!

Nah. He is superb. Flight, Training Day, American Gangster to name but a few absolute belting performances. 

• Upvote 1