You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Maybe if it’s an art film for an exhibit, but cinema is storytelling, and like any storytelling medium (written, verbal, theatrical, visual, or song) if you can’t find a way to engage and make it interesting to the audience then, no matter how technically clever it is, you haven’t done your job. 

Bingo. 

99 Homes - 9/10. 

Cheers to everyone who recommended this as being up there with The Big Short and Margin Call and cheers to Mick for the iPlayer head’s up. The bit where they evicted the old bloke was gut wrenching. Also, the mini speech about the system being rigged by winners, for winners, to ensure they stay winners encapsulates the whole fucking shit show then and now.

• Upvote 2

Da 5 Bloods

Spike Lee's new film, about 4 black Vietnam vets who head back into the jungle to locate the remains of their fallen comrade.

Too long, piss poor acting, the film can't decide whether it's this or that, and that rests firmly on Lee's shoulders.

4/10 1080p Fen Kodi

• Upvote 1

The Vast of Night

Not really a sci-fi fan but I really enjoyed this film about 2 kids who discover a strange radio frequency...leading to the unfolding of a conspiracy of sorts.

Well acted, great direction, looks and sounds great.

Will definitely give this another look.

7/10 4k Fen Kodi

• Like 1

On 12/05/2020 at 20:12, Bjornebye said:

Right so the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. 

Her birthday today so we've watched one a day since Sunday because she loves them. 

Fellowship of the Ring - 8.5/10. 

Thought I'd seen this before but I met have paid much attention. Much better than I expected. Not normally my type of stuff but you embrace it for what it is. Set it up nicely. 

Two Towers - 9.5/10

Fuck me. Superb movie. The battle scene was great and I enjoyed it all except for the talking trees. 

Return of the King - 9/10

Another superb battle scene. Dragged on too much at the end but still , fantastic viewing. 

What did I learn from all this? Frodo is a proper little shitbag. Sam was the real hero. 

Extended editions next year then.

24 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Da 5 Bloods

Spike Lee's new film, about 4 black Vietnam vets who head back into the jungle to locate the remains of their fallen comrade.

Too long, piss poor acting, the film can't decide whether it's this or that, and that rests firmly on Lee's shoulders.

4/10 1080p Fen Kodi

Struggling to believe a Delroy Lindo film gets 4/10

15 hours ago, Soft Joe said:

I watched Da 5 Bloods last night. It’s ok. Not as good as I was expecting. Just has that made for TV feel about it. Some of the plot turns feel a bit contrived. If you’re expecting a Spike Lee masterpiece like Do The Right Thing then it’s not even close. Be interested to hear what other people think because by all accounts it’s had pretty good reviews.

I thought it was shite. 

We fancied an 'Epic' film last night so gave Noah a try on Netflix. It had Russell Crowe in so thought it would be decent. Turned it off after half an hour when them rock monsters appeared. Watched Troy instead. I've seen it before years ago but its still a bloody good film. 8/10 

2 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I thought it was shite. 

Yeah it had all the ingredients but ultimately disappointing. Reminded me of a film called Last Vegas in that respect. A “comedy”.
Went to the pictures with a mate to see it. Thought it had to be a winner with De Niro, Morgan Freeman, Michael Douglas in the lead roles. It was just awful. A real car crash of a film which my mate never tires of reminding me.

The King Of Staten Island - 7.5/10. Latest from Judd Apatow that’s tonally closer to Funny People than The 40 Year Old Virgin. It’s a semi-autobiographical story about a 24year old bloke whose life is just weed and moaning as he deals with the loss of his fire fighter dad when he was seven. It’s funny and touching without ever falling into the usual sentimentality that American films in particular are often prone to.

At £13.99 it’s very expensive compared to most home viewing, but if seen as a cheap family trip to the pictures, it’s a bargain. Certainly, we’re watching far more new films like this than we would usually with cinema releases as we tend only to do proper blockbusters at the pictures. So Tenet and Black Widow will deffo be first forays back for us, but we’ll continue to watch smaller/nicher stuff like this while we can. I’m also happy to support film making by paying up too. 

On 14/06/2020 at 07:43, Paul said:

A History Of Violence - 7/10. This is the first film I saw Viggo Mortensen in, I think, but it’s been a while since I saw this.

Must have seen Carlito’s Way, Paul? He plays the now-crippled old friend of Carlito’s; Lalin. I always think of him as that part for some reason.

27 minutes ago, Captain Milk said:

Must have seen Carlito’s Way, Paul? He plays the now-crippled old friend of Carlito’s; Lalin. I always think of him as that part for some reason.

Ha bloody hell he is as well. Never got onto that. Rat motherfucker. 

The First Purge - Nowhere near as good as the first two. The Purge is an experiment only on Staten Island. 4/10. The main female character in it is beautiful though. 

lex-scott-davis-by-mo-mcrae.jpg

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Captain Milk said:

Sorry, yeah. Meant in a lead role. However, I’ve just realised that the LOTR films preceded A History Of Violence. 

• Upvote 1