You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

1 minute ago, johnsusername said:

The Firm

Rain Man

Collateral

Seems I'm the only one who likes the Mission Impossible films, I thought from 3 on they've been as good as Bond.

200 (1).gif

I reckon they’re better at being “Bond” than Bond itself. Bond was too busy aiming for “Bourne” and mostly missing. 

• Upvote 1

The Gentleman (7/10).

A reasonable enough way to kill however long the film lasted.

If you try too hard to be cool, you appear uncool. The film skirts this line for me.

Some decent performances from the lead characters and the wife of Matthew McConaughey has exceptional legs. 

Hell House LLC

I wasn't expecting much of this. A found footage horror film with hardly any review coverage. No marketing, I don't think I had ever heard of it.

It has problems (the final scene is great but poses the question: how did they get that particular found footage?) but as far as scares go, they are mostly quite subtle with little to no use of soundtrack to add to the scares. Nothing worse than an average scare with loud noises to make the scares seem worse.

There are better horror films out there - they're mostly the famous ones that everyone would have seen. This is an unheard of one and it was surpringly effective and there are far worse horror films out there in the bucketload.

7.2/10.

Kiss kiss bang bang.

After watching the nice guys last week, this popped up on films you may like. Well they obviously don’t know me that well cos this is a load of boring pretentious shite. The odd funny one liner was not enough to stop me switching this off at 59:43. Amazon prime better not fuck me around when I demand my £3.49 back tomorrow. 

The Last Days Of American Crime -1/10.

Netflix near-future dystopian crime thriller that’s overlong, laborious, full of plot holes, badly acted and looks like it was shot on a budget of £10. Swerve.

On 03/06/2020 at 21:49, johnsusername said:

The Firm

Rain Man

Collateral

Seems I'm the only one who likes the Mission Impossible films, I thought from 3 on they've been as good as Bond.

200 (1).gif

Mi 1& 3 are brilliant. Haven’t seen or 2 & heard it’s shit. That last one was bad tho, had an ending that lasted an hour and a half. 

Fast and Furious 43 , Hobbs and Shaw.

Crash, bang, wallop and ludicrous but entertaining enough with some clever stunts. The Rock us always likeable but I dont get the Statham thing at all. Very strange seeming error in continuity with the last battle starting at night but seven minutes later ( bomb timer in script ) it is broad daylight. 6.5 / 10

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

Crash, bang, wallop and ludicrous but entertaining enough with some clever stunts. The Rock us always likeable but I dont get the Statham thing at all. Very strange seeming error in continuity with the last battle starting at night but seven minutes later ( bomb timer in script ) it is broad daylight. 6.5 / 10

The sun rises for Statham.

16 hours ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

Hell House LLC

I wasn't expecting much of this. A found footage horror film with hardly any review coverage. No marketing, I don't think I had ever heard of it.

It has problems (the final scene is great but poses the question: how did they get that particular found footage?) but as far as scares go, they are mostly quite subtle with little to no use of soundtrack to add to the scares. Nothing worse than an average scare with loud noises to make the scares seem worse.

There are better horror films out there - they're mostly the famous ones that everyone would have seen. This is an unheard of one and it was surpringly effective and there are far worse horror films out there in the bucketload.

7.2/10.

Gave this a watch on your recommendation. It was alright for a low budget effort but does rest on the usual conceit of the protagonists not doing a runner in a situation where everyone else would.  It reminded me of Eddie Murphy’s haunted houses routine from the 80s.

Useless film fact - it was filmed at the Waldorf Estate Of Fear attraction, just in case you want to visit for yourself...

https://waldorfestateoffear.com/index.html

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Anubis said:

Gave this a watch on your recommendation. It was alright for a low budget effort but does rest on the usual conceit of the protagonists not doing a runner in a situation where everyone else would.  It reminded me of Eddie Murphy’s haunted houses routine from the 80s.

Useless film fact - it was filmed at the Waldorf Estate Of Fear attraction, just in case you want to visit for yourself...

https://waldorfestateoffear.com/index.html

The sound on that website made me almost spit my coffee out.

20 hours ago, Red74 said:

Kiss kiss bang bang.

After watching the nice guys last week, this popped up on films you may like. Well they obviously don’t know me that well cos this is a load of boring pretentious shite. The odd funny one liner was not enough to stop me switching this off at 59:43. Amazon prime better not fuck me around when I demand my £3.49 back tomorrow. 

I don't mind Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Not seen it for a few years. You do know that the whole point of the film is pretentiousness? 

Nice Guys however, still not seen it but randomly (maybe you mentioned it on here) I've wrote it down on a list of things to watch and might give it a go tomorrow. 

Watched two easy watching films last night. 

Knocked Up - Still funny. Jonah Hill was better as a fat young lad. Seth Rogen is brilliant and Paul Rudd is great but Paul Rudds wife Debbie steals it. 8/10. 

Rush Hour - 7/10. You know what you're getting. It has some very funny bit in it, mainly Chris Tucker taking the piss out of Jackie Chan. 

17 hours ago, sir roger said:

I only liked the first one, it's a completely different kind of film, a bit like how First Blood and Rocky gave way to increasingly farfetched iterations of the originals.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

I only liked the first one, it's a completely different kind of film, a bit like how First Blood and Rocky gave way to increasingly farfetched iterations of the originals.

Oh come off it. Rocky 4 was the most realistic of the lot. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Oh come off it. Rocky 4 was the most realistic of the lot. 

I'm finding it hard to think of any successful Russian heavyweight boxers.

58 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

And as they got worse they eventually gave birth to the abomination that is Creed 1 and 2 

To be fair I love Rocky 2 as it's got a great scene with Roberto Duran in it  

50 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Is this about the robot's head getting lashed into the crowd?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Stickman said:

And as they got worse they eventually gave birth to the abomination that is Creed 1 and 2 

To be fair I love Rocky 2 as it's got a great scene with Roberto Duran in it  

Rocky 1 & 2 are very good films. 3 and 4 are nuts but in a good way. 5 is just plain shit. I didn’t think I would but I liked Balboa. Creed bored me, so I’ve not bothered with the second one.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Not sure if I've ever watched a single one of them before , this was just the new film on  Sky Movies so we gave it a go.

Re Rocky , most Eastern bloc  boxers were well looked after 'amateurs' until relatively recently , but Joshua's next fight is with a Russian and there are stacks of good east Europeans flooding into the higher divisions, in fact you will be sadly aware that loveable Evertonian scamp and Creed challenger, Tony Bellend recently had his robot head punched into the audience by a Ukranian chap.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Rocky 1 & 2 are very good films. 3 and 4 are nuts but in a good way. 5 is just plain shit. I didn’t think I would but I liked Balboa. Creed bored me, so I’ve not bothered with the second one.

The first four rocky films are amazing all in their own ways, but the first is a different beast to the others i think, just like First Blood is to Rambo films.

The first fast and furious film is actually a decent caper, but they get increasingly nuts. I was watching one once and there's a chase on the runway for about half an hour. Some saddo online figured out if it was real, the runway would have been 11 miles long.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Thats why its so realistic. Anyone can win a friendly. 

Thinking about it, most of the fights included in the Rocky films are exhibition fights. Hulk Hogan, Mr T and Drago. Seems like the only contender in the whole world at the time was Apollo Creed.

1 hour ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

Thinking about it, most of the fights included in the Rocky films are exhibition fights. Hulk Hogan, Mr T and Drago. Seems like the only contender in the whole world at the time was Apollo Creed.

There's no exhibition fight with Clubber Lang so that's two out of about 25 fights.

Actually there were a few non-exhibition fights.

There are the initial ones in Rocky in which he is fighting amateurs etc.

He fights Apollo twice.

He fights Clubber Lang twice

There is also a montage of the people he beat in title fights at the beginning of Rocky III