You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

5 minutes ago, redheart said:

Yep but more than a little bit rapey

Haha, yeah I was saying that during it. Bang out of order to be honest. 

Grant the rich fella is the best in it anyway. He speaks for it all when he tells the doctor "Noooo Ive never seen her before in my life" then just gets off on his yacht and starts having loads of birds on-board 

Guest Pistonbroke

The Lovebirds. 5/10, bit wank.

We're the Millers. 7.5/10. Much better comedy, and what's not to like about Miss Aniston in skimpy underwear. 

Interstellar - 9/10. This film gets better with repeat viewings and to be honest, while I knew I liked it, it really surprised me how much of an impact it had on me second (or third, possibly; I can’t remember) time around. 

Matthew McConaughey dominates the film and is brilliant in a role for which he was made. In fact I don’t think he’s ever been better. The whole thing looks - and sounds - amazing too. The evocation of a believably disintegrating earth and eerily recognisable yet alien other worlds is delivered through Nolan’s typically vivid cinematography. Hans Zimmer’s score for Dunkirk was rightly lauded for the way it evoked time and urgency, but he was actually doing the same thing before then on this film as the music adds significantly to the dramatic tension and narrative pace. 

Nolan also uses cross-editing brilliantly, somehow making the human connections between two different galaxies explicit and underlining the narrative point about love being able to travel through time. 

In the wider cast, Jessica Chastain (as the emotionally damaged Murph),  Anne Hathaway (as the initially dubious of McConaughey’s Coop, Brandt) and the reverse type cast Matt Damon are brilliant. John Lithgow, Casey Affleck and Nolan’s ubiquitous Michael Caine are also great in smaller parts. And special mention to Mackenzie Foy as the young Murph, too: she is absolutely brilliant as the little girl who is just devoted to her dad and in many ways is the entire film’s emotional centre. 

It’s easy to be critical of the whole tesseract plot-device in the final third, but to be so completely misses the point: this is primarily a human drama rather than a science fiction film, and the plot devices serve that aim, as well as being consistent with the internal logic of the narrative. 

Finally, I love the ending. Maybe I’m just a sucker for neat, emotionally satisfying narrative closure, but for me the conclusion is totally consistent with Coop’s character and resolves the apparently competing urges he’s been torn between throughout: his strong instincts as a loving father and his burning desire to “explore”. 

Overall, I love this film and I can see me rating it higher again with further repeat viewings.  In fact I think the only reason I’ve not given it a 10/10 here is because it caught me by surprise how much I loved it on this second viewing and I need to test that opinion again.  In short though, it’s fucking great. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Paul said:

Interstellar - 9/10. This film gets better with repeat viewings and to be honest, while I knew I liked it, it really surprised me how much of an impact it had on me second (or third, possibly; I can’t remember) time around. 

Matthew McConaughey dominates the film and is brilliant in a role for which he was made. In fact I don’t think he’s ever been better. The whole thing looks - and sounds - amazing too. The evocation of a believably disintegrating earth and eerily recognisable yet alien other worlds is delivered through Nolan’s typically vivid cinematography. Hans Zimmer’s score for Dunkirk was rightly lauded for the way it evoked time and urgency, but he was actually doing the same thing before then on this film as the music adds significantly to the dramatic tension and narrative pace. 

Nolan also uses cross-editing brilliantly, somehow making the human connections between two different galaxies explicit and underlining the narrative point about love being able to travel through time. 

In the wider cast, Jessica Chastain (as the emotionally damaged Murph),  Anne Hathaway (as the initially dubious of McConaughey’s Coop, Brandt) and the reverse type cast Matt Damon are brilliant. John Lithgow, Casey Affleck and Nolan’s ubiquitous Michael Caine are also great in smaller parts. And special mention to Mackenzie Foy as the young Murph, too: she is absolutely brilliant as the little girl who is just devoted to her dad and in many ways is the entire film’s emotional centre. 

It’s easy to be critical of the whole tesseract plot-device in the final third, but to be so completely misses the point: this is primarily a human drama rather than a science fiction film, and the plot devices serve that aim, as well as being consistent with the internal logic of the narrative. 

Finally, I love the ending. Maybe I’m just a sucker for neat, emotionally satisfying narrative closure, but for me the conclusion is totally consistent with Coop’s character and resolves the apparently competing urges he’s been torn between throughout: his strong instincts as a loving father and his burning desire to “explore”. 

Overall, I love this film and I can see me rating it higher again with further repeat viewings.  In fact I think the only reason I’ve not given it a 10/10 here is because it caught me by surprise how much I loved it on this second viewing and I need to test that opinion again.  In short though, it’s fucking great. 

I would agree with most of that except for the following:

1:The central story was too obvious. It was obvious immediately who or what was doing the sand/dirt.

2:The ending was poor. It should have ended before the part he was found floating in space

3 hours ago, redheart said:

I would agree with most of that except for the following:

1:The central story was too obvious. It was obvious immediately who or what was doing the sand/dirt.

2:The ending was poor. It should have ended before the part he was found floating in space

You’re saying you knew right from the outset that it was the dad sending a message from a future we didn’t know existed at that point??? ‘Kinell!

On the ending, It’s purely a matter of taste I guess. However, for me the film is fundamentally about both love and wonder and it therefore satisfies both themes brilliantly. 

4 hours ago, Paul said:

You’re saying you knew right from the outset that it was the dad sending a message from a future we didn’t know existed at that point??? ‘Kinell!

On the ending, It’s purely a matter of taste I guess. However, for me the film is fundamentally about both love and wonder and it therefore satisfies both themes brilliantly. 

Yes. I whispered it to my wife in the cinema. The soil/sand thing looked deliberate and if so what were the possibilities?

Guest Pistonbroke

Anna. Skinny Russian junkie turns into a super model and assassin in a short space of time and murders loads of blokes. Not great but worth a watch. 6/10

Lucy. Interesting idea and a few good action sequences. The ending was clever imo but the film in general could have been so much better. 6/10

BlackkKlannsman. Decent enough film which is based on true events, although it could have been delivered better. Such a topic is always going to split audiences but people actually like to forget that racism on such levels happened in their country, so down mark it in their reviews and use guff excuses. 7.7/10

The Nice Guys

Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling absolutely superb. Read up on it and Crowe had said he’d have loved to make a sequel to it but they released it at the same time as Cap America Civil War came out and it bombed at the box office so couldn’t get the nod. 

8.5 / 10

loss of 0.5 points for Kim Basinger acting as if she’d just been reanimated which took me out of the film whenever she was on screen.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Watched Judy the other day. Renee Zellweger won the best actress Oscar for her portrayal of Judy Garland.

It wasn’t my choice and I wasn’t expecting to enjoy it but I really did. Zellweger was great and it highlighted the difficulties Judy Garland faced in later life as her star faded and the demons took over.

8/10.

On 23/05/2020 at 15:56, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

His first film was Brick, I've heardof that but not sure I've seen it.

It's good, but a little strange and 'affected'.

You have to suspend disbelief a little and it's not the type of film in which you usually would, if that makes sense.

Kids in adult clothes, using adult words whilst being kids still.

6/10.

Watched a film on C4 called ' The impostor  '. Very odd film in documentary style about a true story in which a runaway kid from the US apparently turns up alive in Linares in Spain. Helped immensely by all of the significant  participants being involved in the filming. Wont go into too many spoilers but it provides some real twists and turns. 7/10.

23 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Watched a film on C4 called ' The impostor  '. Very odd film in documentary style about a true story in which a runaway kid from the US apparently turns up alive in Linares in Spain. Helped immensely by all of the significant  participants being involved in the filming. Wont go into too many spoilers but it provides some real twists and turns. 7/10.

Bit late for that 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Watched that a few years ago, bizzare story.

On 28/05/2020 at 17:27, manwiththestick said:

Spring. 7.5/10. Bonkers and beautifully shot film from the writing and directing team that brought us the marvellous The Endless.

A man escapes his troubles in California by taking a trip to Italy, there he meets a gorgeous girl. I'll leave it at that..

I'm going to keep an eye out for films by Aaron Moorhead and Justin Benson as this is the second film I have watched of theirs that I really enjoyed.

Watched Spring this afternoon based entirely upon your review mate, never heard of it before. Unfortunately, after a promising start it completely disappeared right up it's own hoop.

Preposterous and half baked bo!!ocks.

A generous 3/10 from me. Watched on Fen Kodi on 1080p

Molly’s Game

Quite enjoyed this. True story of Molly Bloom running high stakes poker games with various celebrities and unsavoury characters. Good stuff from Jessica Chastain as Molly and Idris Elba as her lawyer. Kevin Costner has a decent turn as her dad as well.

Maybe lacking a bit in terms of tension or salacious detail. Aaron Sorkin writes and directs so good dialogue.

7/10

• Upvote 1

Edge of tomorrow. 

Been scrolling past this film for years as it looked shite. It came on the telly tonight and I couldn’t be arsed reaching the extra couple of inches to get the remote to switch over. Probably Tom Cruises last film with him being boss.

Being a lazy bastard had its benefits tonight

8 on your feet maggots out of 10 Groundhog Days, but this time it’s with aliens. 

• Upvote 1

On 01/06/2020 at 22:51, skend04 said:

The Vast of Night - A low budget sci-fi movie by first time writer, directors that's like a slightly longer episode of Twilight Zone or the Outer Limits. Won't be to everyone's taste but I enjoyed it 7/10

Started watching that at the weekend and switched off after 20 minutes as I was pissed and couldn't concentrate enough with it starting quite slowly. Will give it another go.

23 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Edge of tomorrow. 

Been scrolling past this film for years as it looked shite. It came on the telly tonight and I couldn’t be arsed reaching the extra couple of inches to get the remote to switch over. Probably Tom Cruises last film with him being boss.

Being a lazy bastard had its benefits tonight

8 on your feet maggots out of 10 Groundhog Days, but this time it’s with aliens. 

Underrated film, very good.

Watched about the first three minutes of something called Rise of the Footsoldier 4 - Marbeilla edition, with Craig Fairbrass. 

How does some of this shit get made?

"You're a cunt"

"No you're a cunt."

"Who's this cunt?"

"I just used pliers on the cunt."

"What a cunt."

• Upvote 2