Quantcast
Rate the last film you watched... - Page 1150 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Elite

Rate the last film you watched...

On 02/03/2020 at 17:09, INTORRESTING said:

A savage film.  They love a bit of revenge!  

Quite interesting:

Han, or haan, [ha̠n] is a concept of an emotion, variously described as some form of grief or resentment, among others, that has been said to be a characteristic of Korean culture.

The idea of han and its association with Korean identity are relatively recent, originating during the Japanese occupation of Korea from Japanese colonial stereotypes and the characterization of Korean art and culture as "sorrowful" by Yanagi Sōetsu.[1][2][3][4][5] Yanagi's theory, called the "beauty of sorrow", has received criticism in both Korea and, more recently, Japan, and has been criticized as "under-theorized" and "prejudiced".[6][7] Han, as a specifically Korean characteristic, did not originally exist prior to the Japanese occupation,[8] but was adopted and popularized by Koreans in the 20th century due to its propagation by scholars,[2][5] the circumstances of Korea's turbulent modern history,[3] and the political promotion of ethnic-national solidarity through a sense of "shared suffering".[9]

Han, as a theme, is expressed in many aspects of modern Korean culture, such as film and contemporary pansori.

Han is derived from the Chinese character , which means resentment, hatred, or regret.

According to the Translation Journal, "Han is frequently translated as sorrow, spite, rancor, regret, resentment or grief, among many other attempts to explain a concept that has no English equivalent."[11] The film director Im Kwon-Taek has said that Koreans have different interpretations of han.[12] The minjung theologian Suh Nam-dong described han as "a feeling of unresolved resentment against injustices suffered, a sense of helplessness because of the overwhelming odds against one, a feeling of acute pain in one's guts and bowels, making the whole body writhe and squirm, and an obstinate urge to take revenge and to right the wrong—all these combined".[13] The novelist Pak Kyongni described han as both sadness and hope.

Bull-shit Mr Han Man.

• Upvote 6

Black and Blue - 7/10. Really good thriller

about a cop (Naomi Harris) stumbling on the police murder of two drug dealers and trying to get the body cam evidence to the right people. If it had resisted the slightly cheesy ending, I’d have given it another point. 

'The Negotiator ' on Sky Movies

Based around American and Israeli spy workings in Lebanon in the 70's and 80's. Some cliched characters like Jon Hamm's but not the worst film I have seen 6/10.

UFO, Gillian Anderson is in it. I'm giving it the amount of aliens that have visited earth in spaceships out of 10. That would be zero. Insanely shite I can't believe people got together to fund and make it. Everybody involved should never get to make movies again.

On 02/03/2020 at 00:40, Carvalho Diablo said:

The 5 hour version with subtitles? Possibly the greatest war film ever.

The Gibraltar scene was toe curlingly tense and claustrophobic.

Incredible film.

Did you watch the "sequel" TV show last year? I thought it was really good. They've done filming for the next series in Liverpool. 

45 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Did you watch the "sequel" TV show last year? I thought it was really good. They've done filming for the next series in Liverpool. 

I did mate but I didn't think much of it. I thought all the Resistance stuff off the boat took away fromit, diluted the tension.

• Upvote 1

Rocky 5. Needed a lift me up last night so put this on. Its far far better than most make out. 

8 touch me and I'll sues out of 10. 

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Rocky 5. Needed a lift me up last night so put this on. Its far far better than most make out. 

8 touch me and I'll sues out of 10. 

You need to leave this site.

That film is beyond shite. 

Even Stallone rates it as 0/10

2 hours ago, redheart said:

You need to leave this site.

That film is beyond shite. 

Even Stallone rates it as 0/10

He is a punch drunk twat 

9 hours ago, johnsusername said:

It was ok,but nothing special and shouldnt be associated with the film,in my view.

Brightburn, the Superman theme flipped to be a wrong un. Childless couple are interupted on the job by  something landing in their fields. Turns out its an alien baby in human form. So they bring it up and do all the parenting thing as the child grows to adolesence.

When the now teenager gets rejected by the girl he fancies in class, he starts getting a bit angry and his spaceship locked in the barn starts 'talking' to him. He finds out he's very strong, fast and can fly so decides to drop in on the girl.

She fucks him off and her ma gets involved. Then he really turns into a wrong un. A couple of deaths follows and he starts showing his powers against his Earthly parents who become shit scared.

Dad takes him out to the woods on the pretext of a hunting trip but tries shooting him in the head. That doesnt work and dad gets his head fried. Ma doesnt fair much better when he carries her up to 40,000 feet then lets go. Just as a Jumbo jet flies into him causing it to crash.

Anyways suffice to say the wrong un is now the cause of a number of major accidents paving the way for a sequel?

It was quite an enjoyable film if not a little predictable, purely because of it's premise. 7.5 out of 10.

• Upvote 1

It was shit and deserving of its 4.

The character development of the family was so shit, his parents may as well have been strangers. It was inevitable he was going to kill everyone after 5 mins.

Could have done with with less killings and built the relationships more. Also could have done with a bit more inner turmoil from the kids perspective before killing everyone. Whole film was just filler, despite it being relatively short.

Just watched Beats. 8/10. Two Scottish lads in the 90s go to a rave. Some excellent songs and laughs.

8 hours ago, cloggypop said:

*Spoilers

He's a fucking alien species. No need for human inner turmoil. 

In that case the film will just turn out to be, as it was, an overly long (even at 80 odd mins), repeated scene of him killing people with all the subtlety of Brian blessed screaming I'm an evil superman.

Blue Ruin

A realistic, downbeat and lo-fi revenge story, where things get messy. The air of desperation surrounding the central character is palpable. Nicely shot, a minimalist script and well acted. Having recently watched You Were Never Really Here, they dovetailed quite well, both focusing on a melancholic atmosphere and mental instability.

8 hobo vendettas out of 10

2 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Blue Ruin

A realistic, downbeat and lo-fi revenge story, where things get messy. The air of desperation surrounding the central character is palpable. Nicely shot, a minimalist script and well acted. Having recently watched You Were Never Really Here, they dovetailed quite well, both focusing on a melancholic atmosphere and mental instability.

8 hobo vendettas out of 10

Have you seen Green Room also by Jeremy Saulnier?

18 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Have you seen Green Room also by Jeremy Saulnier?

Top film this. Patrick Stewart as a Nazi skinhead is proper left field.