Quantcast
Rate the last film you watched... - Page 1147 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Elite

Rate the last film you watched...

2 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

I hope Oldboy is on your list. 

After I'm finished with Bong, Oldboy and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance will get a look in. I reckon by then I'd be sufficiently fine tuned to the Korean canon.  I may fall down for no apparent reason several times while watching it or suddenly jump in the air and kick someone in the chest.

10 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

I would rather shove rusty horseshoes* up my arse than watch an Adam Sandler film.

*With the horse still attached..

Yeh, not a fan myself but did watch one on a plane, with him as Walter Mitty which was decent.

"Once Upon A Time In Hollywood"

What a waste of time and talent. 

3 of 10, and if I were subtracting the really shitty bits from the okay bits, this one would be in negative numbers.

"Joker"

Other than garnering Joaquin Phoenix an Oscar nomination, what was the point of that mess?

Or was it some bizarre send-up of "King of Comedy"? Am I missing something?

I'm starting to wonder if this is just a result of age: every time I watch a movie, it's basically me thinking "I've seen this before, and the original was better".

The problem being of course that the original is always better than the imitation, and if I were watching "Joker" or "Parasite" without having seen, say, "Taxi Driver" or "Swept Away..." would I have an entirely different take on both?

Not Once Upon, though. That was crap.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

After I'm finished with Bong, Oldboy and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance will get a look in. I reckon by then I'd be sufficiently fine tuned to the Korean canon.  I may fall down for no apparent reason several times while watching it or suddenly jump in the air and kick someone in the chest.

FriendlyEverlastingGadwall-size_restrict

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

3 of 10, and if I were subtracting the really shitty bits from the okay bits, this one would be in negative numbers.

"Joker"

Other than garnering Joaquin Phoenix an Oscar nomination, what was the point of that mess?

I'm starting to wonder if this is just a result of age: every time I watch a movie, it's basically me thinking "I've seen this before, and the original was better".

The problem being of course that the original is always better than the imitation, and if I were watching "Joker" or "Parasite" without having seen, say, "Taxi Driver" or "Swept Away..." would I have an entirely different take on both?

Negged for your Once Upon A Time In Hollywood comments, bastard breath.

I haven’t seen it, just felt like insulting someone.

25 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

"Joker"

Knew it wouldn't take long for TheDrowningMan to start posting on the GF. 

H90u2.gif

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Akira Kurosawa Samurai Collection 

And everything else he ever made, the likes of Ikiru and Stray Dog are fantastic as well. 

58 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

"Joker"

In what way is Swept Away by Guy Ritchie, starring Madonna, with a rating of 5% on Rotten Tomatoes, a better film than Parasite? 

1 hour ago, polymerpunkah said:

"Joker"

Fucking hell. 

5 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

In what way is Swept Away by Guy Ritchie, starring Madonna, with a rating of 5% on Rotten Tomatoes, a better film than Parasite? 

Maybe he meant the Italian Swept Away?

9 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

In what way is Swept Away by Guy Ritchie starring Madonna a better film than Parasite? 

I didn't see that one, but if Madonna was in it, I'm guessing in no way was it better than Parasite.

Yep, I was referring to the original.

3 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

I didn't see that one, but if Madonna was in it, I'm guessing in no way was it better than Parasite.

I haven't either. It might be boss. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Travolti da un insolito destino nell'azzurro mare d'agosto? Hope so. 

La Isla Bonita

• Upvote 2

Youngest lad (13) just got back from the cinema with his friends. They watched 'Sonic the Hedgehog' and he said it's a 8/10. Good story with funny moments but he thought the effects weren't as good as they could have been. 

11 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Madonna being a slag while everybody else gets called a slaaag.

Madonnas in Football Factory? Pwopa nawty. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

Youngest lad (13) just got back from the cinema with his friends. They watched 'Sonic the Hedgehog' and he said it's a 8/10. Good story with funny moments but he thought the effects weren't as good as they could have been. 

It's a fun film.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

I think 3 out of 10 is a bit generous, much like Hateful 8 and Django if it hadn't been made by Tarantino it would get absolutely panned.

Massive Emperors Clothes Syndrome going on with what he makes now.

10 minutes ago, chevettehs said:

I think 3 out of 10 is a bit generous, much like Hateful 8 and Django if it hadn't been made by Tarantino it would get absolutely panned.

Massive Emperors Clothes Syndrome going on with what he makes now.

You're just taking the piss now. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You're just taking the piss now. 

No, it's fucking shite.

Couple of decent set pieces joined together with a load of drivel. 

12 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

No, it's fucking shite.

Couple of decent set pieces joined together with a load of drivel. 

Racist 

7 hours ago, SasaS said:

I have quite a few Korean films stashed away, people used to rave about them so I kept collecting them without actually watching any (as I get older I get more resistant to fads) so I've decided it's time, climate apocalypse is coming and we may not have too long.

I started with Bong Whatshis Name and I am making my way slowly towards Parasite. Must say so far, these Korean films are totally bonkers, mostly not in a good way. Memory of a Murder and The Host down, Mother and Okja to go, then Parasite. Snowpearcer is beginning to look more and more like an oasis of moderation, sanity and ascetic adherence to absolute plausibility now, and I though it was fairly insane but captivating.

Uncle Boonme? Weird film that. Bit fishy.

7 hours ago, Lee909 said:

I love the old epic Kung Fu films snd John Woo films. 

If you've not seen them

John Woo

The Killer

A better tomorrow 

Bullet in the head

hard boiled

Japanese films

Akira Kurosawa Samurai Collection 

When the last sword is drawn

The twilight Samurai(brilliant film) 

Most of Takeshi 'Beat' Kitano work is superb, especially the early gangster stuff

Yeah, Sonantine. Class film.

Also, his part in Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence (Oshima directed) is great as well.  Battle Royale too, of course.

• Upvote 1