You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Parasite is brill. Looking forward to the HBO show, the director says there's plenty of story around the film to explore and it's down to be done as a six parter.

Having said that The Handmaiden is still my favourite S.Korean movie of the last few years. Simply brilliant that one and chock full of wonderful lesbianism.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

I would rather shove rusty horseshoes* up my arse than watch an Adam Sandler film.

*With the horse still attached..

I knew nothing about the film before I watched it and I'd have thought the same as you if I'd known Sandler was in it but he's a million miles away from his usual work. Didn't know he had acting skills like this in him. 

I have quite a few Korean films stashed away, people used to rave about them so I kept collecting them without actually watching any (as I get older I get more resistant to fads) so I've decided it's time, climate apocalypse is coming and we may not have too long.

I started with Bong Whatshis Name and I am making my way slowly towards Parasite. Must say so far, these Korean films are totally bonkers, mostly not in a good way. Memory of a Murder and The Host down, Mother and Okja to go, then Parasite. Snowpearcer is beginning to look more and more like an oasis of moderation, sanity and ascetic adherence to absolute plausibility now, and I though it was fairly insane but captivating.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Cheers marra, all over that. Foreign films are where it's at man, none of that superhero crap coming out of the Lan Shan Po.

I love the old epic Kung Fu films snd John Woo films. 

If you've not seen them

John Woo

The Killer

A better tomorrow 

Bullet in the head

hard boiled

Japanese films

Akira Kurosawa Samurai Collection 

When the last sword is drawn

The twilight Samurai(brilliant film) 

Most of Takeshi 'Beat' Kitano work is superb, especially the early gangster stuff

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

I hope Oldboy is on your list. 

After I'm finished with Bong, Oldboy and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance will get a look in. I reckon by then I'd be sufficiently fine tuned to the Korean canon.  I may fall down for no apparent reason several times while watching it or suddenly jump in the air and kick someone in the chest.