You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I just looked through James Cameron's filmography & the only really good film he's ever done is the first Terminator.

He's been fucking shite since about 1984.

Negged! True lies and aliens are great films at the very least. 

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

I watched Midsommar in the end. Not entirely sure what to make of it, at places it felt more like a gory comedy than a revenge horror and was a bit risible at parts with all the howling and fucking. Beautifully shot though, all shades of gold and white (and red later on), the depiction of the trip when they first get to the commune is pitch perfect and it had some shocking imagery. The ending is superb too.

Reveal hidden contents

7.5/10 for the experience.

It was fucking shite.

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Terminator 2 is a great film 

No its a great spectacle but not a great film

The fundamental flaws are as follows:

Arnie cannot act. Thus he was good in Terminator but shit in T2

Linda Hamilton is an appalling actress

The teenager is a twat that made be support the liquid terminator

Making Arnie a good Terminator was  a pathetic sop to the fact that Arnie was by then a big star. This helped kill the franchise.

The plot, story etc are shot

On the positive side

The CGI developed for this film was revolutionary and mostly still holds up

Robert Patrick was ace.

An enjoyable spectacle but not a great film. Like much of Cameron's output

Terminator 2 was an incredible film because of the special effects and soundtrack. I could accept a one off good guy uncle Arnie terminator. 

But yeah, Terminator is a much better film because it’s a decent horror film and the terminator is ruthless. I actually agree that Arnie isn’t a good actor but as a lump killing people with guns he was ace. 

Then they started churning out more films and cashing in, watering down the whole franchise and shitting on previously decent films. Now it’s as hilarious as nightmare on elm street or as scary as police academy went after so many sequels. 

Mandy- the second of @Shooter in the Motor's recommendations: 6.5/10. Enjoyable nonsense, if it was half an hour shorter and cut out the bizarre animation scenes it would have been a really good, taut, revenge thriller, it just didn't have enough story to justify its 2 hour running time. As it was, it's still good, but felt way too slow in parts. Cage was actually reasonable in this, but I burst out laughing at this bit-

Image result for mandy nic cage"

12 hours ago, Mudface said:

Mandy- the second of @Shooter in the Motor's recommendations: 6.5/10. Enjoyable nonsense, if it was half an hour shorter and cut out the bizarre animation scenes it would have been a really good, taut, revenge thriller, it just didn't have enough story to justify its 2 hour running time. As it was, it's still good, but felt way too slow in parts. Cage was actually reasonable in this, but I burst out laughing at this bit-

Image result for mandy nic cage"

I thoroughly enjoyed this film, as you say Cage did a half decent job in it. Certainly better than the mess that was Wicker Man. As a leaner film, I do agree it would have been fantastic and probably would have performed much better at the box office.

8 hours ago, Mudface said:

The Lighthouse- 8.5/10. Superb two-hander that I need to watch again to pick everything up. 

Reveal hidden contents

I recently watched Hereditary a second time after studying more about the story line and it made so much more sense and made it much more enjoyable. I think this film may be similar so I'll definitely get a second viewing on soon enough.

2 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I recently watched Hereditary a second time after studying more about the story line and it made so much more sense and made it much more enjoyable. I think this film may be similar so I'll definitely get a second viewing on soon enough.

Yep, Winslow's certainly an unreliable narrator, so it would be well worth watching again. It wasn't until the final scene that it clicked with me about the Greek mythology, which was a bit dopey seeing as Wake was ranting about it several times.

Anyway, thanks for recommending those 3, been a fun couple of days. I'd say Lighthouse is certainly the best of them, Mandy is the most enjoyable (if you get what I mean), and Midsommar is an oddball that I wish I'd seen on a big screen as it looks gorgeous. It's also good to watch contemporary horror films that don't rely on jump scares.

9 hours ago, Mudface said:

The Lighthouse- 8.5/10. Superb two-hander that I need to watch again to pick everything up. 

Reveal hidden contents

Sticking this on after dinner.

Cameron has been hit and miss in his career. 

Aliens and Terminator 2 are two of the great sequels in cinema. True Lies is silly but hugely entertaining mainly because it doesn’t take itself seriously.

The Abyss and Aavatar were crap.

But the cinematic crime I most hold him responsible for is Titanic. All of that budget, all of those extras, all of that spectacular ship sinking....  ....and you waste it on a fucking love story! The perfect chance to do something immense like an Indiana Jones style adventure in the exciting setting of a sinking ship, and you waste it on a fucking love story! You will answer to me in the afterlife for that, Cameron. I swear you will.

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Cameron has been hit and miss in his career. 

Aliens and Terminator 2 are two of the great sequels in cinema. True Lies is silly but hugely entertaining mainly because it doesn’t take itself seriously.

The Abyss and Aavatar were crap.

But the cinematic crime I most hold him responsible for is Titanic. All of that budget, all of those extras, all of that spectacular ship sinking....  ....and you waste it on a fucking love story! The perfect chance to do something immense like an Indiana Jones style adventure in the exciting setting of a sinking ship, and you waste it on a fucking love story! You will answer to me in the afterlife for that, Cameron. I swear you will.

It did seem an odd choice but the sinking scenes are incredible cinema. Just the love story is an unwelcome distraction.