Quantcast
Rate the last film you watched... - Page 1128 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Elite

Rate the last film you watched...

Recommended Posts

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - 8/10.

 

I wasn't feeling it for the first half of the film to be honest but as the story unfolded I found it to be quirky and quite touching. Some very good performances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Downsizing. 

 

Matt Damon and Christpoher Walz. The Borrowers meet science. People volunteer to get shrunk in order to help save the human race. Worth a watch, interesting concept and all that. 

 

6/10. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Uncut Gems

 

Adam Sandler stars as an unscrupulous Jewish gem trader with a gambling addiction and a very bad temper.

 

I thought I was going to have a stroke just by watching this film.

 

7/10 stressed Erics. Fen on Kodi.

 

I wish Adam Sandler would have a stroke. The unfunny cunt.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Elephant Queen, brilliant documentary on the journey faced by elephant families out of their kingdom which suffers droughts to a refuge with water. Before then facing a journey back to their kingdom.

 

Immense. 9 ivory tusks out of 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once upon a time in America.  9/10

 

Classic Tarrentino, great dialogue, unbelievable story and a magnificent finale. What's not to like?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stouffer said:

Once upon a time in America.  9/10

 

Classic Tarrentino, great dialogue, unbelievable story and a magnificent finale. What's not to like?

I really enjoyed it as well but.... what story? I didn't come away thinking I had full grasp of the plot or even if one actually existed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

There was definitely a story. Fuck knows what it was though. 

Something about a child actress, Bruce Lee getting his arse kicked by a chauffeur/roofer and Charles Manson? It was boss regardless. I really like Brad Pitt and Di Caprio as actors as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Something about a child actress, Bruce Lee getting his arse kicked by a chauffeur/roofer and Charles Manson? It was boss regardless. I really like Brad Pitt and Di Caprio as actors as well. 

Tarantino is a very clever guy in that he makes brilliant films that can be interpreted many ways. Part of me feels though that this film was a bit of a piss take out of the whole Hollywood lifestyle...

 



when the killers are out in the car and they talk about killing the people who show us how to kill seemed quite ironic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Tarantino is a very clever guy in that he makes brilliant films that can be interpreted many ways. Part of me feels though that this film was a bit of a piss take out of the whole Hollywood lifestyle...

 

 

  Hide contents

 

 

 

Yeah probably spot on there to be fair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an alternate plot that relies on the viewer knowing what actually happened with Manson and Tate with a load more of Hollywood twisted in. I was expecting another Tarantino film in need of a good editor but it was great. Really liked it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

It's an alternate plot that relies on the viewer knowing what actually happened with Manson and Tate with a load more of Hollywood twisted in. I was expecting another Tarantino film in need of a good editor but it was great. Really liked it. 

I know about the Tate murders and stuff but no-one ever told me that Bruce Lee got filled in by the help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I know about the Tate murders and stuff but no-one ever told me that Bruce Lee got filled in by the help. 

Think that's an alternative take on reality as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Think that's an alternative take on reality as well. 

Bruce Lee kicked Brad Pitts arse? Scenes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

 

 Repped for repping during the match.

Repped for repping an in-game match post, after the match.

 

Or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knives Out - 8/10

 

Fantastically shot film (felt like a homage to Wes Anderson’s style at times) great cast, good story and some very good plot twists. Just when you think it’s all wrapped up it pulls the carpet from under your feet. 

 

Really good murder mystery, we both really enjoyed it.


Daniel Craig & Ana De Armas were great also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Brownie said:

Joker 9/10.

 

Absolute fucking masterpiece.

 

That reminds me,  finally watched it the other day, Joker 7/10

 

Intriguing.

 

Left me baffled at first, is this a psychological drama cleverly disguised as a back story for a superhero movie, or is it the other way around?

 

Now what is truly baffling is that people flocking to see this would probably give it a wide berth if it was the same film, but without the Joker back story connection.

 

The part  I didn't like is drawing on films like  the Taxi Driver, almost as if they are telling us Marvel / DC superhero universe, as some kind of a new mythology, is the same as Taxi Driver and similar films, as in this is all part of the same mythology of our culture, there is Travis Bickle, but there is also Batman.  

 

And the intriguing thing wasn't that its very dark, it was that is was realistic, at least until the final act.

 

The problem is, it works for a back story, but there is nowhere to go from here. Fans are pleased that a superhero film has psychological depth, but isn't this ultimately a contradiction? Can you make a back story film about Bruce Wayne and make it similarly realistic, that is, so that it will keep you guessing, as Joker does, is this actually a portrait of a man with mental problems which has nothing to do with Batman universe? It seems every time the character approaches the framework of the Joker story, psychological depth starts threading on dodgy ground and realism is about to go out of the window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

 

That reminds me,  finally watched it the other day, Joker 7/10

 

Intriguing.

 

Left me baffled at first, is this a psychological drama cleverly disguised as a back story for a superhero movie, or is it the other way around?

 

Now what is truly baffling is that people flocking to see this would probably give it a wide berth if it was the same film, but without the Joker back story connection.

 

The part  I didn't like is drawing on films like  the Taxi Driver, almost as if they are telling us Marvel / DC superhero universe, as some kind of a new mythology, is the same as Taxi Driver and similar films, as in this is all part of the same mythology of our culture, there is Travis Bickle, but there is also Batman.  

 

And the intriguing thing wasn't that its very dark, it was that is was realistic, at least until the final act.

 

The problem is, it works for a back story, but there is nowhere to go from here. Fans are pleased that a superhero film has psychological depth, but isn't this ultimately a contradiction? Can you make a back story film about Bruce Wayne and make it similarly realistic, that is, so that it will keep you guessing, as Joker does, is this actually a portrait of a man with mental problems which has nothing to do with Batman universe? It seems every time the character approaches the framework of the Joker story, psychological depth starts threading on dodgy ground and realism is about to go out of the window.

I thought the film did a good job of mixing up the realistic serious issue of mental health and the unrealistic, fantasy world of comic books. There are some fairly big plot holes but that didn’t bother me because super-hero movies are riddled with them and you don’t go into watching one of them hoping for a coherent, realistic story.

 

As you say, if this movie was made outside of the confines of Joker and just as a standalone movie about mental health then it probably wouldn’t have been as appealing. That makes it all the more impressive an idea for me though, that the director used the concept to present the issue and story in a way that people can bizarrely relate to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×