You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

55 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Rewatched the Batman Nolan films.

Batman Begins - 8/10

The Dark Knight - 9/10

The Dark Knight Rises - 8/10 (gets an extra point awarded for Anne Hathaway in skin tight outfit). 

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, 60s Batman > Burton’s Batman > Nolan’s Batman 

• Downvote 1

6 Underground. Not going to score it as I only managed to get through the opening action sequence before switching off. Bay by numbers, some good bits in the opening car chase but too many continuity errors which really annoyed me, I mean really basic ones for example there is a close up slow motion clip of the car they are in getting side swiped by a truck and you clearly see the wing mirror getting smashed off only to reappear less than five seconds later. Now Bullit had one of the most iconic car chases and that is loaded with such errors but you expect that of a film from the 60's, not in the days of huge budgets and CGI, just appears lazy. 

Add to that the dialogue was terrible.

The Irishman - Scorsese can complain that Marvel films aren't cinema but there was a boat-load of CGI in this one and it was way too long. A more ponderous film compared to his other mob dramas, this seemed to reflect the age of the director as it looks at the loneliness of the life and the damage it causes to the person.

They might have been better served having De Niro's character be played by a younger actor as CGI can't hide an old guy walking. It was good to see Pesci again, giving a much more subtle performance than he's done in mob films. Pacino has most of his worst excesses reined in for most of the run time and his Hoffa is both massive asshole and sympathetic man of pride. De Niro is good throughout although his de-aged self looks nothing like him.

Scorsese might say no studio other than Netflix would make this and that's probably true as Netflix never seem to employ editors and this needed one. 3 and a half hours is a ridiculous run time for a film so slow. 7 out of 10

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

6 Underground. Not going to score it as I only managed to get through the opening action sequence before switching off. Bay by numbers, some good bits in the opening car chase but too many continuity errors which really annoyed me, I mean really basic ones for example there is a close up slow motion clip of the car they are in getting side swiped by a truck and you clearly see the wing mirror getting smashed off only to reappear less than five seconds later. Now Bullit had one of the most iconic car chases and that is loaded with such errors but you expect that of a film from the 60's, not in the days of huge budgets and CGI, just appears lazy. 

Add to that the dialogue was terrible.

Ha. There’s also a bit where Reynolds is hanging his head out the window to look at a woman they’ve nearly sideswiped, and when it goes to the exterior shot he’s nowhere to be seen.

On 10/12/2019 at 08:41, Juniper said:

Ad Astra - 6.5/10

A quiet, lonely but very well shot film set in space essentially really only about the relationship between an emotionally distant father and his emotionally distant son.

Loved how the film was shot and had some very interesting ideas but very unbelievable at times. Like Gravity but even more loose from reality. 

Loved that it had Space Pirates shooting laser guns.

It was ok, enjoyed it enough. 

It was ok. Rather ponderous and drawn out at times though. A lot of style and not a great amount of substance I thought. 

On 11/12/2019 at 08:58, Juniper said:

Us  8/10

Loved this, a real un-nerving horror and another cracker from Jordan Peele.

Really well shot, very well executed idea, very creepy ‘creatures’ with a great twist at the end. Great score and very well acted. Lupita Nyong’o was especially brilliant.

Was glued to the screen throughout.

Would watch again.

Given this a go as I'm in a foul mood so I can get through a horror. 

Started well, very creepy particularly the family stood in the drive. Then I thought it went to shit. The dad was unbearable. The twist is great at the end to be fair although I figured it out a few minutes before. 

5/10. 

On 14/12/2019 at 20:57, RedKnight said:

The Irishman - Scorsese can complain that Marvel films aren't cinema but there was a boat-load of CGI in this one and it was way too long. A more ponderous film compared to his other mob dramas, this seemed to reflect the age of the director as it looks at the loneliness of the life and the damage it causes to the person.

They might have been better served having De Niro's character be played by a younger actor as CGI can't hide an old guy walking. It was good to see Pesci again, giving a much more subtle performance than he's done in mob films. Pacino has most of his worst excesses reined in for most of the run time and his Hoffa is both massive asshole and sympathetic man of pride. De Niro is good throughout although his de-aged self looks nothing like him.

Scorsese might say no studio other than Netflix would make this and that's probably true as Netflix never seem to employ editors and this needed one. 3 and a half hours is a ridiculous run time for a film so slow. 7 out of 10

There were aspects I enjoyed but I couldn't get past the ridiculous CGI and run time, won't be watching it again.

Beauty Mark  7/10

One of those down on their luck American family stories. Young single mother trying to hold down a low income job while also dealing with her live in alcoholic mum. Things hit rock bottom and she has to look at other ways of keeping a roof over their heads. 

Very tough to watch at times.

Zombieland 2 (kill this film with fire)

I can't even bring myself to rate this, I'm left asking why or why did they do this. 

I used to be partial to the zombie type films, post apocalyptic stuff too. I loved the walking dead, then it slowly rotted and killed my love of that genre. Zombieland though was a different slant on the whole thing, funny and original. The sequel has none of the feel of the first and is just absolutely shit, utter shit. Shit on a fucking stick. 

The Irishman 8.5/10

I watched most of this on a flight, and I quite enjoyed it. The de-ageing of the characters worked a little but old men still have the gait of old men so it never felt right. That's a small complaint though for an excellent film that felt like Goodfellas lite. It's a shame that De Niro spent over a decade making stupid comedy films when he could have been putting out things like this. 

Joker - really liked it. Phoenix is fabulous. I was worried about watching it as the origins of Joker is so convoluted across comics and films. Taken as a single movie, it's fantastic - perhaps would have preferred it however if it were simply an angle on mental illness rather than specifically about Joker but it's still very well put together. 8/10.

The Rise of Skywalker - Deeper thoughts on the Star Wars thread but very safe, almost fan-fiction like finish to the series that over-corrects criticisms of the Last Jedi. Enjoyable, looked great in IMAX, but maybe don't make another Star Wars movie unless you have something different to say. 6.5 out of 10

Guest Pistonbroke

6 Underground (Netflix)

Mixed reviews for this one but if you accept it for what it is then it's enjoyable enough. Top heavy on CGI but the action scenes are OK, the humour fits and isn't too obtrusive, the acting is steady enough and some nice easy on the eyes women. It's the same old story but delivered in a new concept. Instead of making a follow up film they should make it into a series where they can spend more time on character development which they could easily catch up on with flashbacks. If you want perfection you want find it in this film, but if you want to watch a film that is a fun ride full of action then you won't be wasting your time.

6.6/10.