Quantcast
Rate the last film you watched... - Page 1111 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Elite

Rate the last film you watched...

25 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Patton - Not normally a fan of war movies but this had something special about it. Based on a flawed General, I believe the script was co-written by Francis Ford Coppolla and I couldn't help but see the style of Apocalypse Now. Cracking movie. 9/10

Spiderman Fart From Home - Great action sequences and decent story but just seemed a little bit too teen based. Much preferred the Sony version Into The Spiderverse. 7/10.

Patton's a great film, George C Scott is absolutely brilliant in the title role. I haven't seen it for a good 15-20 years, but I seem to remember it reminding me of Catch 22 as well.

• Upvote 1

El camino, follow on from the excellent breaking bad. Slow and not much going on, forgettable. 

4/10

1 hour ago, Butch said:

El camino, follow on from the excellent breaking bad. Slow and not much going on, forgettable. 

4/10

Real disappointment that was. 

Anna. 7/10. Luc Besson revisits La Femme Nikita/The Assassin, but this time uses a Russian protagonist, plays with the timeline, and adds a few well-worn twists. Entertaining enough with some good action set-pieces, but nothing we haven’t seen before.

Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark - 5/10. Horror stories for kids set in 1968 which tries to intertwine its supernatural monsters with the real monsters of the time such as Nixon, Vietnam and the treatment of mental patients. Unsuccessfully. In truth, most of the monsters aren’t that scary, even for kids, except The Jangly Man, who will no doubt have sent some little cherubs away with recurring nightmares. Points for not guaranteeing the safety of its protagonists. Points off for weak script and performances.

16 hours ago, Butch said:

4/10

Walt and Saul were the two characters holding BB together. Were any of them in it?

49 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Walt and Saul were the two characters holding BB together. Were any of them in it?

A flashback to Walt in a restaurant for about 10 minutes but that's it. No Saul. 

I watched a creepy 1950s British horror film the other night - Night of the Demon.

It was quite good, although a bit ruined by actually showing the demon (which was shit).

Fun fact - This film is the source of the introductory shout on Kate Bush's Hounds of Love ("It's coming! It's in the trees!")

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Spiderman Fart From Home - Great action sequences and decent story but just seemed a little bit too teen based. Much preferred the Sony version Into The Spiderverse. 7/10.

Yeah, the script was full of wind. Into the Spiderverse was a tooting good watch. 

• Upvote 1

In the Shadow of the Moon, Netflix.

Decent sci-fi time travel murder thang starring the blonde fella out of the first series of Narcos. 

Starts off brilliant but ends a bit mad.

7/10

Joaquin Phoenix double bill

You Were Never Really Here - Small, almost arthouse pic with Phoenix as a suicidal hitman who saves kids from child traffickers. Only 90 minutes long, stylishly shot but I confess I didn't get the reviews of it as a masterpiece of cinema. I found it ponderous at times, too arty for it's own good and it left me cold. I'm sure I could read plenty on why it's so highly rated but it just did nothing for me. One of those films where the form does more for the critics than the audience. 6 out of 10

Joker - AKA Ladybird book of Taxi Driver. Miserable film lacking in the subtlety of the Scorsese films it so liberally borrows from. It straddles a very fine line between seeking empathy and pity for the main character, which is why it possibly gathered some worried press. Didn't do enough of the homework to explain why the 'kill the rich' uprising happened so fast or why Gotham's system was so broken. Very intense, physical performance from Phoenix but there isn't a lot to hang a film on here. Decent but 65% of it is just so miserable that I found it a bit bland; starts to get interesting but then it's over too quick. 6.5 out of 10.

• Upvote 2

The Day Shall Come.

Chris Morris's latest 'terrorist' film. Stylistically similar to Four Lions. But supplanted into modern day Miami. A mentally unbalanced Black Islamist wannabe messiah gets embroiled into the FBI's machinations. Its a funny film. And if viewed as such, with no research into the facts t's a solid 7/10 satire.

I subsequently found out it is based on actual entrapment techniques used by the US government to indefinitely jail non-white 'radicals'.  In that light its a damning indictment of how far the leaders if the 'free world' will go to perpetuate the idea of the boogey-man to shit-up a white western consumerist society. 

For that alone it's a must-watch film. 9.11/10

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RedKnight said:

Joaquin Phoenix double bill

You Were Never Really Here - Small, almost arthouse pic with Phoenix as a suicidal hitman who saves kids from child traffickers. Only 90 minutes long, stylishly shot but I confess I didn't get the reviews of it as a masterpiece of cinema. I found it ponderous at times, too arty for it's own good and it left me cold. I'm sure I could read plenty on why it's so highly rated but it just did nothing for me. One of those films where the form does more for the critics than the audience. 6 out of 10

Couldn't agree more with this, although probably a 4 or 5 out of 10 for me.

Border

Swedish film about a border official with an incredible sense of smell, but that doesn't even come close to describing what this wild film is about.

Dark, dirty, very unsettling but curiously captivating; very interested to see what other people make of this.

6/10 Venom on Kodi

Fractured. On Netflix. 

Fella takes his wife and kid to the hospital but they go missing. 

2/10. Utterly woeful. I still don't know what happened. 

10 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

In The Tall Grass

Film version of the Stephen King novel. Interesting but quickly descends into utter cack. 

3/10 Kodi / Netflix

Oasis were better. 

Must have been terrible.

Just finished the last of the four (so far) Department Q films. A global 9/10. Enjoyable Nordic Noir dome right with excellent chemistry between the leads.

Roma

Best picture Oscar from 2 years ago. I tried to watch this 3 times previously but never managed to get past the first 10 minutes, so really pleased that this time I persevered because Roma is a brilliant beautiful beguiling film, full of humour and heartbreak.

2.5 hours, in Spanish, in black and white, Roma  tells the story of Mexican housemaid Chloe and of the family she works for.  The film is beautiful to look at and has some incredible tracking shots throughout.

For those of you who like foreign language films or just great emotive story telling with some great acting then you should love this.

9/10 Venom  Kodi