You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

2 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

The curse of la llorona

Fucking shite. Switched off halfway in.

Why can't anyone make a decent horror film any more?

Not sure I could actually watch that one. 

Mostly because when I read the name I immediately start singing “my Sharona “ - sometimes out loud, sometimes with the movie title in place of the original words. 

10 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

The curse of la llorona

Fucking shite. Switched off halfway in.

Why can't anyone make a decent horror film any more?

There’s a really creepy Mexican film dealing with La Llorona. I watched it a few years ago but for the life of me can’t remember the name of it.

Guest Pistonbroke
31 minutes ago, Anubis said:

There’s a really creepy Mexican film dealing with La Llorona. I watched it a few years ago but for the life of me can’t remember the name of it.

The Crying Woman? 

23 hours ago, Anubis said:

The Guilty. 8/10.

Danish thriller that centres entirely on a police dispatcher who receives a call from somebody who has been kidnapped. The idea of a film centred entirely on one person and a series of phone interactions with other people we never see, only hear, may sound like a boring concept. It’s anything but. Gripping, with a few good twists and turns along the way. Apparently getting remade by Hollywood with Jake Gyllenhaal on board.

Pretty good film , well worth an 8 - maybe even an 8.5  . 

5 hours ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

Brazil. 

Fucking mental/10

At university in Sheffield, we were all watching Brazil on video one evening when two lads we knew turned up out of the blue. Within five minutes, one of them was cowering in the corner of the room. Turns out the pair of clowns had dropped a trip each! Long story short, Brazil totally fucked the pair of them up and neither one touched acid again. 

• Upvote 2

Hereditary. 7/10

Very decent horror. One of those that wedges itself in your head and won't go away. The last 15 minutes is fucking mental. Really good. 

Us. 6/10

Bit daft in places and some funny moments which I'm not sure were meant to be funny. Enjoyable enough though. 

On 10/06/2019 at 20:33, Anubis said:

The Guilty. 8/10.

Danish thriller that centres entirely on a police dispatcher who receives a call from somebody who has been kidnapped. The idea of a film centred entirely on one person and a series of phone interactions with other people we never see, only hear, may sound like a boring concept. It’s anything but. Gripping, with a few good twists and turns along the way. Apparently getting remade by Hollywood with Jake Gyllenhaal on board.

I’m sure this films already made a few years ago with Halle Berry in

edit: yeah it has - The Call (2013) Halle Berry is an experienced 911 operator but when she makes an error in judgment and a call ends badly, Jordan is rattled and unsure if she can continue, but then teenager Casey Welson (Abigail Breslin) is abducted and calls 911. Jordan is the one called upon to use all of her experience, insights and quick thinking to try to help Casey escape and also to make sure the man is brought to justice.

Rolling Thunder

Martin Scorsese film about Bob Dylan’s mid 70s Rolling Thunder Tour when he drove a bus full of friends and collaborators (Joan Baez, Alan Ginsburg, Joni Mitchell, Mick Ronson, Sam Shephard, etc.) through small town America.

If you like Bob Dylan, it’s great. This is peak Dylan too, Blood on the Tracks, Desire period. 

On 14/06/2019 at 05:31, Paul said:

At university in Sheffield, we were all watching Brazil on video one evening when two lads we knew turned up out of the blue. Within five minutes, one of them was cowering in the corner of the room. Turns out the pair of clowns had dropped a trip each! Long story short, Brazil totally fucked the pair of them up and neither one touched acid again. 

Ooh, have we got a video?

Hotel Mumbai - very sombre film depicting the horrors of terrorism in an Indian luxury hotel. Well produced and acted, while also hard hitting. 8.5/10.

Xmen: Dark Phoenix 1/10

Shockingly bad, just awful. Heard it was poor by the reviews but I was working away from home and fancied seeing a film to kill the time rather than mope around a hotel room and thought I’d give it a chance. 

Wished I’d stayed in and stared at the walls instead. Started pretty well with a good opening and good score and quickly went to shit.

Fight scenes just suddenly happened out the blue with crap editing, a main character (one of the best ones in the latest series) just suddenly disappeared from the plot about a quarter way through without any explanation other than it showed him getting knocked out earlier, he then randomly appeared right at the end near the credits like nothing had happened.

There was a mutant with dreadlocks who wasnt even introduced, no idea who he even was, in it for most of the film.  

Forgettable action scenes, forgettable final battle (so much so I’m struggling to remember it now). A main villain who’s almost an afterthought. All over the place. Please no more Dark Phoenix films in the future as both versions have been poor.

Makes The Last Stand look like The Godfather, which is a shame as up to Apocalypse it was a decent enough series. 

Poor direction, really poor jolty editing, dialled in acting.

Out with a whimper.