You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

6 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I finally finished Free Solo as it's hard to watch it all through in one go as it is incredibly dull. The final twenty minutes are spectacular and at times I really thought it was being done with special effects. 

One brave fucker and amazing achievement. 

6 rocks out of 10 climbers. 

I will get on The Dawn Wall next. 

I think that unless he's able to give it up, or just use ropes that the lad will be dead in a few years. He's an amazing climber but he's still human,just about.

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

I think that unless he's able to give it up, or just use ropes that the lad will be dead in a few years. He's an amazing climber but he's still human,just about.

Hopefully he’ll get into free basing (not that kind) instead. It’s basically free climbing with a parachute. Means these lunatics can (quote from Valley Uprising) “REALLY push the envelope”. However it means that as long as they’re high enough when they fall, they’ll live.  

10 minutes ago, Paul said:

Hopefully he’ll get into free basing (not that kind) instead. It’s basically free climbing with a parachute. Means these lunatics can (quote from Valley Uprising) “REALLY push the envelope”. However it means that as long as they’re high enough when they fall, they’ll live.  

I saw that parachute thing on a climber featured on Free Solo,but unsurprisingly he died doing something stupid. The film didn't say what it was but I assume he didn't use the parachute.

5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I saw that parachute thing on a climber featured on Free Solo,but unsurprisingly he died doing something stupid. The film didn't say what it was but I assume he didn't use the parachute.

They are all fucking mental. As are those nutters than climb cranes and dangle one handed from the top.

• Upvote 1

The Mule  7/10.

Should be 6 but it's Eastwood.

Mostly silly but enjoyable if you lower your expectations, a couple of cringeworthy scenes and a lot of badly written  dialogue throughout. Time to pack it in Clint.

Leave No Trace - Low key drama with Ben Foster as an Iraq veteran with PTSD who lives a survivalist lifestyle in the woods of Oregon with his teenage daughter. Much like the director's previous film, Winter's Bone, this is a stripped down film with great cinematography and naturalistic performance; so much that Thomasin McKenzie's performance made me forget she was actress, she was superb. Very much the opposite of a flashy film, so it's not for everyone, but a small story told brilliantly. 9 out of 10.

• Upvote 2

Summer of 84. 

Coming of age horror/thriller along the lines of Stand by me, tapping into the 80s craze around Stranger things. 7/10. 

They've got a cool VHS edition as well which looks boss.

Description

Teenager Davey Armstrong is a conspiracy theorist who begins to suspect that a neighbouring police officer is a serial killer. With help from three friends, Davey launches a daring investigation that soon turns dangerous.

43984182-7C06-480E-B983-6EF1E9BBAC4F.jpeg

• Upvote 1

The Straight Story 7/10

Based on a true story, a man in his 70s in a small town in Iowa wants to go and see his brother who lives over 250 miles away in Wisconsin. His brother has had a stroke and he wants to make up with him while he still can. He's no car and very little money so decides to make the journey on a lawnmower.

It's thought evoking and a bit of a tug on the old heartstrings and although very slow, still an enjoyable watch.

• Upvote 2

BlacKkKlansman... is not very good. 5/10.

Mostly cartoonish propaganda. It's actually unintentionally hilarious, after making all the song and dance how white people think black people cannot do anything without their help (there is even a scene when white librarian patronizingly explains the microfilm search to the young black activist / love interest), the black cop "infiltrates" the KKK over the phone, and then the white guy actually does all the work, risks his life, has a gun stuck in his face etc.

Hollywood and the Academy do hate Trump, that's for sure.

Captain Marvel

Really enjoyed it, got a few decent jokes in it. Thought it was good. Would be a great one if you have a daughter I would think. 

Im easily pleased to be honest, take me away from life for a hour or two and I'm good