You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Im sure its been mentioned on here but havent looked back through-

Anyone seen La La land? Keep hearing how great it is but when I read the description of the film I cant think for one second that Id like it- sounds like a cheesefest 

13 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Im sure its been mentioned on here but havent looked back through-

Anyone seen La La land? Keep hearing how great it is but when I read the description of the film I cant think for one second that Id like it- sounds like a cheesefest 

It’s a musical. That’s all you need to know. Shite, they all are.

3 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

It’s a musical. That’s all you need to know. Shite, they all are.

Could have a point (Oliver not withstanding)

After the mega hype I remember watching 10mins of The Greatest Showman at Christmas (admittedly not from the beginning) and turned off after lots of random singing during dramatic moment.

*It may well be brilliant but seemed a bit weird in the 10mins I saw  

• Upvote 1

Just now, manwiththestick said:

Captain Marvel. 7/10. Some early mixed reviews meant I went in with low expectations, however it was good, liked the 90's setting and a younger SLJ.

Nice teaser the end also.

Yeah it was good, better than I expected.

Double whammy of The Green Book and The Favourite

The Green Book: was a cracking little film, though nowhere as inspirationally and as feel good, as say a Captain Fantastic, which, in my humble opinion, is a criminally under awarded film. And Mortensen is a criminally underused actor(See Bladerunner 2049). 

Great film, great story even a great relationship(which basically was what the film was all about), but not a classic, sadly enough. 7/10

The Favourite: All that, but not epic, in a supposed period style film it had essence but no substance. Whilst there were some knockout performances,  I have to say, how Rachel Weisz never won best supporting actress, is an absolute mystery. What a performance. 7/10(the film)

On 08/03/2019 at 18:31, RedKnight said:

Captain Marvel - Bit of a disappointment whilst still being enjoyable. I found the first 30 minutes quite dull and I'm not sure the piecemeal mystery of Carol Danvers was the best way to tell the story. Points for Sam Jackson, the depiction of the Skrulls and the cat but this is a middle-of-the-pack effort. Did like Brie Larson in the title tole once she got more of a grip on the character. Might also have suffered by me being more excited for the Endgame credits scene too. 6.5 out of 10.

Agree with this all, pretty much. However, I’d go 7/10. 

Boy - Taika Waititi's comedy about a kid who idolises his father even though his father is actually an immature deadbeat. Infused with Waititi's trademark humour and with a style of speech that makes you imitate it for hours afterwards, this is a really nice, touching coming-of-age story in a unusual setting. 8 out of 10

• Upvote 3

Been off work yesterday and today with severe bowel aids. In between bouts of explody-hole, I have watched about 10 films. Even though I remember they were good, watching the recent batman trilogy back to back reminded me just how good they were.

Batman begins - 8.5

The dark knight - 8.8

The dark knight rises - 8.3

Hard to separate them when you watch them all together as they feel quite like different acts of the same movie.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - Really smart, funny adaptation of the comics and especially liked their Spider-Gwen, it can't be long until she gets her own spin-off. Jokes are very clever with references to past incarnations of Spider-Man, where he is in the pop culture landscape and it culminates with a fantastic post-credits scene that uses the old Spider-Man meme to hilarious effect. Just a fun, vibrant film with an excellent voice cast. 8.5 out of 10.

The Florida Project - Drama filmed in a gritty, realistic style about a young mother and daughter living in Kissimmee and the shadow of the 'magic' of Disneyworld. I knew this had good reviews but wasn't sure what I was getting and luckily it was really good. Naturalistic performances from the two newcomers in the main roles and especially from Willem Defoe as the apartment's manager. The mother just comes across a massive cunt who refuses to grow up and reacts badly to nearly every situation and it certainly elicits sympathy for the young girl because she doesn't stand a chance in life. 9 out of 10.

Moonlight - Oscar winning film about the life of a young black man in a tough Miami neighbourhood (slight thematic link to the Florida Project) who struggles with an addict mother and his own sexuality. To be honest not a lot of this resonated with me. It was well-acted and looked gorgeous but I found Acts II and III to be much less interesting than Act I and I wasn't sure that the sensitive lad from Act I would necessarily become the man he became in Act III. I preferred La La Land which was announced as Best Picture by accident instead of this. Good but it just didn't move me much. 7 out of 10.

4 hours ago, RedKnight said:

The Florida Project - Drama filmed in a gritty, realistic style about a young mother and daughter living in Kissimmee and the shadow of the 'magic' of Disneyworld. I knew this had good reviews but wasn't sure what I was getting and luckily it was really good. Naturalistic performances from the two newcomers in the main roles and especially from Willem Defoe as the apartment's manager. The mother just comes across a massive cunt who refuses to grow up and reacts badly to nearly every situation and it certainly elicits sympathy for the young girl because she doesn't stand a chance in life. 9 out of 10.

Moonlight - Oscar winning film about the life of a young black man in a tough Miami neighbourhood (slight thematic link to the Florida Project) who struggles with an addict mother and his own sexuality. To be honest not a lot of this resonated with me. It was well-acted and looked gorgeous but I found Acts II and III to be much less interesting than Act I and I wasn't sure that the sensitive lad from Act I would necessarily become the man he became in Act III. I preferred La La Land which was announced as Best Picture by accident instead of this. Good but it just didn't move me much. 7 out of 10.

Yeah, La La Land should have won, if anything, it was a typical Oscar winning picture.

I agree on both films too, although I liked Moonlight a little more than you and Florida Project a little less.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RedKnight said:

Act 1 Act 11, didn't move me. La La Land.

image.png

• Downvote 1

The Senator - Jason Clarke as Ted Kennedy covering the week of the incident at Chappaquiddick when a young woman died after he crashed his car into a body of water. Fairly standard biopic with very little criticism of Kennedy's actions (he didn't notify the police of the accident for 10 hours) or insight into why he acted like he did. So no matter how good the film is, you'd want a more insightful, critical take on such a strange, tragic incident. 6 out of 10.

Downsizing - Matt Damon stars in a Charlie Kaufman film that doesn't actually involve Charlie Kaufman about a man who shrinks himself to 5 inches as part of an initiative to save the planet. Whatever tone it was going for doesn't matter because it doesn't land anywhere. It's a bit quirky, a bit dramatic, has a some humour and is a bit saccharine and all of it adds up to a unsatisfying film. There's probably a good film in the premise but it's not in this 130 minute mash-up with questionable special effects and science. 4 out of 10.