Quantcast
Rate the last film you watched... - Page 1066 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

Welcome to the new and improved TLW!

Some of you may experience issues logging in and will get an 'incorrect password' error. Don't worry, you haven't typed it in wrong and your password hasn't been changed. You will need to reset it though in order to log in. Click the reset password link and you will receive an email with your new temporary password. Once logged in, you need to choose a new password (or restore to your old one) otherwise you will be locked out again.

If you have an out of date email address linked to your account, then you won't receive the new password. If that's the case then you'll need to email me (dave @liverpoolway.co.uk) or send me a tweet @theliverpoolway and I'll update your password manually. 

Any other problems or questions just let me know.

Thanks

Dave

Elite

Rate the last film you watched...

Sorry to Bother You

Written and directed by Boots Riley from The Coup (who also do all the music). Set in the near future, the tale of Cassius Green who discovers he is a genius telemarketer when given the secret by Danny Glover.

His major client is Worry Free who sell people on signing over their lives to become indentured slaves.

A very amusing social satire, also pretty tricky to describe because it gets a bit fucked up (in a good way). Sort of like if Spike Lee has made Robocop while on acid.  If you think that sounds terrible then you would probably hate it.

I’m giving it 8.9/10.

Green Book

Oddly directed by one of the brothers that gave us Something About Mary and Dumb and Dumber. A decent movie that you enjoy for the performances of the main actors and that has only a tenuous link to the Green Book. It could have done without that really out of left field and cringy fried chicken scene.

6.5/10

9 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Holmes and Watson 1/10

Fucking terrible isn't it? I did laugh a few times but it's seriously bad.

Dogtooth 8/10

Greek with subtitles. Wont be to everyone's taste and there's a couple of very unpalatable scenes too. 

Think Josef Fritzl and you wont be far away. 

• Upvote 1

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, 8/10.

Could have rated even higher if it wasn't an omnibus (well, sort of).

Production values are excellent and direction is technically as close to brilliant as it can be. And I don't even like Coen brothers too much. A very pleasant surprise for me.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Elite said:

Fucking terrible isn't it? I did laugh a few times but it's seriously bad.

It’s terrible, a few laughs as you say but my god it’s bad.

Teen Titans Go To The Movies - 7/10. Frenetic and frantic DC animated film, but very very funny.

Incredibles 2 - 7/10. Enjoyed it, but it's essentially a retread of the first film but with the gender roles swapped.

Bad Times At The El Royale - 5/10. Overlong and a bit boring.

Stan and Ollie - Biopic of Laurel and Hardy's tour of Britain after their film careers had faded. Brilliant performances by Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly and the movie was infused with a sense of sadness alongside seeing some of the great comedy routines. Nothing fancy but a good story well told. 8 out of 10.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

What's that about mate?

Robert Redford is an elderly bank robber who just can’t let it go. Mr Nice Guy. Needs the buzz.

Good cast too, Sissy Spacek, with Danny Glover and Tom Waits as Redford’s partners in crime.

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:25 PM, Jose Jones said:

Sorry to Bother You

Written and directed by Boots Riley from The Coup (who also do all the music). Set in the near future, the tale of Cassius Green who discovers he is a genius telemarketer when given the secret by Danny Glover.

His major client is Worry Free who sell people on signing over their lives to become indentured slaves.

A very amusing social satire, also pretty tricky to describe because it gets a bit fucked up (in a good way). Sort of like if Spike Lee has made Robocop while on acid.  If you think that sounds terrible then you would probably hate it.

I’m giving it 8.9/10.

Been wanting to see this for a while.

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Half way through that, a little bit slow but maybe second half takes off. Then again, it does have an old man in it...

This was worth it's IMDB score of 7/10. Rottentomatoes aggregates at 9/10 while metacritic aggregates at 8/10. 

The Dawn Wall

Mountain climbing biopic about Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgenson's attempt to become the first people in history to free climb The Dawn Wall, the hardest possible unclimbed route of El Capitain in Yosemite. Widely considered to be the greatest ever feat in the history of rock climbing. 

Wonderful documentary. 

9/10 Yoda Kodi

12 hours ago, RedKnight said:

Stan and Ollie - Biopic of Laurel and Hardy's tour of Britain after their film careers had faded. Brilliant performances by Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly and the movie was infused with a sense of sadness alongside seeing some of the great comedy routines. Nothing fancy but a good story well told. 8 out of 10.

Totally agree with this. 8/10. 

Reilly is superb

13 hours ago, RedKnight said:

I will never watch anything but the real Stan and Ollie.