You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Equalizer 2 - 3/10 overall, but 8/10 for knife (and credit card) work.

A storyline that is so pathetically basic it feels like it was written by a 14 year old turning in his first ever effort. However, some well choreographed kills with sharp objects go some way to rescuing the action bits. Terribly cheap CGI train and storm though.

14 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The Meg. Needed something light hearted. A few jumpy bits and a seriously big shark. Statham playing himself terribly as usual. Did the job. 5/10. 

I saw this the other night and I would agree with this 98%. The 2% I would change is the light hearted moments although few and far between were there - none more so than when

one Megalodon jumped out of the sea to eat the other Megalodon.

Arrival

I know I’m about 5 years behind on this but I watched it on telly last night. Would have been better on the big screen as the cinematography and imagery is pretty great.

Anyway, I really liked it. Good bit of thinking, quite touching. You have to be ok with Amy Adams, and I know a fair few people aren’t.

8/10 

• Upvote 1

Widows. Went to watch a Star is Born tonight with my sister. It was sold out so we settled on this as we couldn’t stomach watching the Queen biopic. Both knowing fuck all about the film. An unexpected surprise.

It was gripping. Really well paced. The premise sounds quite cheesy. 4 widows lose their bank robber husbands when a heist goes wrong. They decide to pull off their dead husbands final job as they are all in the shit financially etc. Surprised I’d never even heard of this. Strong cast all the female leads are great. Robert Duvall, Liam Neeson even Colin Farrell is watchable. Give it a 9 out of ten. Excellent heist thriller. With tension and great performances throughout.

6 hours ago, dick sack said:

Widows. Went to watch a Star is Born tonight with my sister. It was sold out so we settled on this as we couldn’t stomach watching the Queen biopic. Both knowing fuck all about the film. An unexpected surprise.

It was gripping. Really well paced. The premise sounds quite cheesy. 4 widows lose their bank robber husbands when a heist goes wrong. They decide to pull off their dead husbands final job as they are all in the shit financially etc. Surprised I’d never even heard of this. Strong cast all the female leads are great. Robert Duvall, Liam Neeson even Colin Farrell is watchable. Give it a 9 out of ten. Excellent heist thriller. With tension and great performances throughout.

This is a movie that has had me quite confused as it's directed by Steve McQueen. What? He died quite a while ago. There's another Steve McQueen? Had lots of good reviews but hardly any coverage.

7 hours ago, dick sack said:

*fnarr fnarr*

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Aha! Not seen that film so didn't know he directed that.

I’d not seen any of his films either. The lead actress in Widows won an Oscar for 12 years a slave. Viola Davis. Never seen her before. The whole film just oozes quality. You should check it out.

Bohemian Rhapsod

I'm a bit torn about this one, as although I enjoyed it I was uncomfortable with the elements of past events that have been changed in order to make the film more dramatic, which I found bordering on poor taste at times.

Cringed like fuck when it portrayed that they had not received a single donation at Live Aid until Queen hit the stage. Then suddenly they hit their target thanks to Queen. Swear I even heard a background extra say "Thanks Freddie!" in the control room. 

Come on!!

Also that Freddie wrote "Who wants to live forever" about his aids diagnosis. When it was written by Brian May for the chuffing Highlander soundtrack, before Freddie was diagnosed.

Then the whole fallout, almost punishment from the band over his brief solo career, failing to mention Brian May broke solo first and Freddie delayed his album to fit in with the latest Queen album cycle. Thought that was poor also.  

There are more examples unfortunately.

On its own it was a decent enough film and the actors were great, the performance shots were done/recreated very, very well and the Live Aid section was breathtaking at times for how well they recreated the performance and Wembley scenes but it looses marks for its blurring of the truth at key points. 

I'm sure I'll watch it again at some point as it was a decent enough music biog, but I'll keep shaking my head at certain scenes. 

12 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Arrival

I know I’m about 5 years behind on this but I watched it on telly last night. Would have been better on the big screen as the cinematography and imagery is pretty great.

Anyway, I really liked it. Good bit of thinking, quite touching. You have to be ok with Amy Adams, and I know a fair few people aren’t.

8/10 

Ha, came on to review the same.

Really enjoyed it. Smart and thought-provoking and even emotional in parts. 

8.5/10

I Kill Giants - I like films like this, human story told using a mix of fantastical elements.  Doesn't quite take-off, but definitely a good film.  Character uses fantasy world to confront issues is an old trope, but enjoyable when the effects and performances are smartly delivered.  Like Bridge to Terabithia the kids' performance are sometimes a bit shaky, but one or two standouts elevate the whole.  7/10

Warrior - Watched this on a whim last night, second time I've seen it.  Totally emotionally manipulative, but it still works.  Also got to love it's naïve approach to MMA now, Kurt Angle throwing wrestling moves, Tommy decking everyone and the other fella taking a beating for two rounds every fight.  That final fight tho… 8/10.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:01 AM, dick sack said:

Yeah, wanna see this.  That and Sorry to Bother You both look great.

I Love You, Daddy  5/10

This one was written and directed by Louis C. K. and it was apparently never released since it was picked up just before the scandal broke out last November. It's a very bad film in which nothing works and to make matters worse, it does not shy from artistic ambition, so there is a lot to irritate you. All I could find is some screener that is doing the rounds on the web, made at some festival before the film was buried. As with One Mississippi and Better Things done for TV, CK' seemingly natural home, there is a signature piece dealing with masturbation, a looong scene with one of the main characters mimes jerking off to a phone call. He left them everywhere, the clues.

The Invitation.

Well rated horror movie. Combination of You're Next, Get Out and Game Night. Not as good as any of those (well, maybe better than You're Next) but worth a watch. 7/10.

Battle of the Sexes - Story of Billie Jean King's tennis match against Bobby Riggs back in the '70s with Steve Carrell and Emma Stone. It was okay, though it was ostensibly more Stone's movie I felt Carrell gave the more interesting performance and I wanted to see more of Riggs' background than King's. 5.5 out of 10.

49 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Requiem For A Fighter

Irish / Danish production and without doubt the worst film I've ever seen. So incredibly atrocious that I couldn't take my  eyes off it. 

Highly recommended. 

0/10

Worse and more compulsive than The Room?