You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Lethal Weapon - 7.5/10

It's not surviving in the same class as the other big name action films from the same time (Predator, Terminators, Aliens, Die Hard).  The plot is relatively weak and although Donner's quality as director is a clear as ever, it doesn't exactly stand out these days.  The characters are still where the film excels though, performances too, whether it's Glover and Gibson flirting with tragedy or Busey and Ryan chewing the set.  Still engaging, still entertaining.

12 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Lethal Weapon - 7.5/10

It's not surviving in the same class as the other big name action films from the same time (Predator, Terminators, Aliens, Die Hard).  The plot is relatively weak and although Donner's quality as director is a clear as ever, it doesn't exactly stand out these days.  The characters are still where the film excels though, performances too, whether it's Glover and Gibson flirting with tragedy or Busey and Ryan chewing the set.  Still engaging, still entertaining.

One of my favourite set of films, each film was enjoyable in its own way. Joe Pecsi is greet in the later films. 

Lethal Weapon has aged very badly. If, as I did, you come to it late and judge it by late 2010 standard, it’s fucking abysmal. Though, it no doubt has charm and nostalgic appeal for those who watched it at the time. No doubt some would feel like that about Die Hard, which I love. 

7 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Lethal Weapon has aged very badly. If, as I did, you come to it late and judge it by late 2010 standard, it’s fucking abysmal. Though, it no doubt has charm and nostalgic appeal for those who watched it at the time. No doubt some would feel like that about Die Hard, which I love. 

I watched them all when they were released so my memory of the films is of when they were first aired. It's interesting that Mel Gibson had a stellar career behind and in front of the camera, yet Danny Glover all I remember of him is Predator 2 and him being killed in Saw. 

Also as great as Die Hard was, the second wasn't quite as strong and after the third film which was excellent the subsequent films were awful. 

17 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I watched them all when they were released so my memory of the films is of when they were first aired. It's interesting that Mel Gibson had a stellar career behind and in front of the camera, yet Danny Glover all I remember of him is Predator 2 and him being killed in Saw. 

Also as great as Die Hard was, the second wasn't quite as strong and after the third film which was excellent the subsequent films were awful. 

Yeah, the trilogy was great. If only they left it there. 

I've (re) discovered Noah Baumbach over the past two weeks, after watching

Frances Ha Ha (8/10) as part of my project to be more open to my feminine side.

I remember loving his debut Kicking and Screaming  (8/10 then, 7/10 now) from 1995, and when it turned out Frances was one of his and not just Greta Gerwig's I realized the only other Baumbach's film I ever saw was  his straight-to-Netflix last offering The Meyerovitz Stories (so-so) and there was time for some serious catching up.

So I went on a quest and managed to collect 7 more of his titles and had me a Noah Baumbach retrospective and am I now happy to report they are mostly all solid 7s and above, except the micro budget affectation Highball (6/10), a proper cult film which takes place in one apartment, shot over only six days using the cast of his (I seem to recall) unsuccessful attempt to have an intelligent romcom hit with Mr. Jealousy (which may also not be quite 7, but lets be generous).

I find his latest films Mistress America and While We're Young (very sold 7s and scandalously underrated on IMDB at 6.7 and 6.3) very entertaining and at times thought provoking, even Greenberg (7 me, 6.1 rest of the world) turned out to be quite watchable, event though I don't particularly like Ben Stiller. Casting choices are a bit strange sometimes, early films are impeccably cast, later ones not so much, not least Margo at the Wedding (7, yet another strangely dismissive 6.1 by others) where you have to endure Jack Black alongside some much highly regarded thespians. His best rated film The Squid and the Whale (my 7 to where-did-get-come-from 7.4 from the general public) could also use a more charismatic lead than Jeff Daniels, although he's OK.

NB will probably never find wide audience but I liked these intelligent and extremely verbose well written dramas, comedies and comedy dramas where there is always at least one character who has a story published in the New Yorker and the rest are all East Coast middle class accomplished or aspiring writers or artists of some other kind of irritant . When I watched Frances Ha Ha co-written by talented Miss (?) Gerwig, at first I hated the characters and wanted to turn it off, then I began thinking there is more to them than I initially thought, then I began to care for them and ended up thinking, well that was one fine movie.  I went through more or less the same process with most of the others and am now firmly a fan.

First Man 7.5/10

Quite enjoyed that, a biography about Neil Armstrong.

Looses some marks as the relationships between the characters didn't feel well developed and the lead up to Apollo 11 felt rushed in some places, but I'd put that down to the sheer volume of material they had to get through.

Some great scenes inside the various planes/spacecraft. It felt very Christopher Nolan/Dunkirk & Interstellar in those scenes. Very, very well done. The first few minutes of the film had me on the edge of my seat nearly.

Also the scenes on the moon were worth the ticket alone. It felt very, very real.

Despite that, I felt that I didn't really 'get to know' Neil Armstrong. The human element felt missing from this. Ryan Gosling did well with what he was given though.

Worth a watch

• Upvote 1

Journeyman. 9/10.

Written, directed by and starring Paddy Considine with Dr Who as his love interest and appearances from Steve Bunce. It is not exactly an easy watch but it's a very well made and acted film. The two leads are superb. Add this to the list of great films Considine has either written, directed or appeared in. 

17 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Journeyman. 9/10.

Written, directed by and starring Paddy Considine with Dr Who as his love interest and appearances from Steve Bunce. It is not exactly an easy watch but it's a very well made and acted film. The two leads are superb. Add this to the list of great films Considine has either written, directed or appeared in. 

I'm sure there was a link on here ( maybe the boxing thread ) suggesting that the film was controversial & that Considine had 'appropriated' the story & eased a down and out boxer out of the picture. Can't find it now.

Into the Wild 6 /10

Decided to watch it after reading the discussion about it here. I think the film works for you if you buy into the main character, I mostly didn't.

It is an interesting story which will stay with you for some time though and it is not hard to see why it would mean a lot to many (I guess mostly young) people because we do constantly wonder as we go through life is a different way of living possible, are we in fact prevented from some more authentic existence by society's conventions and limitations etc.

However, Penn (and I guess Krakauer in the book) does not present this as a dilemma or a concept to ponder over, he just builds his main character as someone we should immediately admire as some kind of wise soul, deeply introspective, prophetic person, which can, if you are over 16 or so years of age, make you want to kick him as more often than not it creates the opposite effect and the character comes across as a self-centred, self-righteous and ultimately arrogant prick.  

Also, there is only so much Eddie Vedder you can take in two and a half hours.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, SasaS said:

Into the Wild 6 /10

Decided to watch it after reading the discussion about it here. I think the film works for you if you buy into the main character, I mostly didn't.

It is an interesting story which will stay with you for some time though and it is not hard to see why it would mean a lot to many (I guess mostly young) people because we do constantly wonder as we go through life is a different way of living possible, are we in fact prevented from some more authentic existence by society's conventions and limitations etc.

However, Penn (and I guess Krakauer in the book) does not present this as a dilemma or a concept to ponder over, he just builds his main character as someone we should immediately admire as some kind of wise soul, deeply introspective, prophetic person, which can, if you are over 16 or so years of age, make you want to kick him as more often than not it creates the opposite effect and the character comes across as a self-centred, self-righteous and ultimately arrogant prick.  

Also, there is only so much Eddie Vedder you can take in two and a half hours.

Based on a true story so not sure what you mean about 'buy in to the character?' If you mean exaggerated then there is every chance they are as its cinema.