Quantcast
Rate the last film you watched... - Page 1046 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

Welcome to the new and improved TLW!

Some of you may experience issues logging in and will get an 'incorrect password' error. Don't worry, you haven't typed it in wrong and your password hasn't been changed. You will need to reset it though in order to log in. Click the reset password link and you will receive an email with your new temporary password. Once logged in, you need to choose a new password (or restore to your old one) otherwise you will be locked out again.

If you have an out of date email address linked to your account, then you won't receive the new password. If that's the case then you'll need to email me (dave @liverpoolway.co.uk) or send me a tweet @theliverpoolway and I'll update your password manually. 

Any other problems or questions just let me know.

Thanks

Dave

Elite

Rate the last film you watched...

On 10/5/2018 at 7:13 PM, SammyAftershave said:

If you're a fan of the Director I'd say it's still worth a watch SasaS. While it's a bit of a departure for him and I felt it went off the rails in the third act there is still much to enjoy in it and still better than most of the turd that Hollywood churns out.

Downsizing  6/10

Weird film, I haven't read anything about it other than it was not received well, but it comes across as a result of so many rewrites that it finally loses shape. Or too few. It's fairly interesting about 3/4 of the way and then it seems they didn't  know what to do with it anymore. It does feel as if 30 to 40 minutes were cut. Or should have been.

There are many interesting aspects of the original idea that could have been explored, commercialization of the new world, doomsday obsession, how the new world instantly develops into a replica of the old big world with the same social injustices etc. 

This would potentially have been a more interesting TV series than Westworld.

• Upvote 1

A Star Is Born - I've never seen any of the previous versions of this film so knew nothing much of it going into it. It's a very tidy film with good performances by both leads - Lady Gaga in particular is really good in a low key role, especially in the film's early scenes and you wouldn't believe that she was a world famous performer. Some good songs along the way from both Gaga and Cooper and special mention to Sam Elliott being great as Sam Elliott. There are moments where the time frame seems a bit choppy but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it. 8.5 out of 10 with the .5 extra point for Cooper's strong hair game.

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:09 PM, SasaS said:

Carpenter's They Live? You'll get stick for dissing it.  I always do because for the life of me cannot understand what people see in that film. Then they throw the social commentary / satire argument at me. I retort with the acting, writing, general silliness of it all and the cringe worthy ending, but no, no, no it's a masterpiece.  

Ten minute fight sequence between Keith David and Roddy Piper you pair of quegs.

It's no masterpiece, but it's a silly bit of nonsense fun.  It's basically an 80s equivalent to Hard Target.

• Upvote 2

Bad Cat ( Kötü Kedi Şerafettin ) - Turkish Animation,Its kinda like what Garfield or Fritz the cat could've been if it was written for adults.Serafettin/Sero is basically a badass boozed up ,smoking,doping shagging bad bastard cat and its hilarious.Some real laugh out loud moments in it .. deffo worth a watch.   8/10

My girlfriend had never watched police academy we established, so threw it on Friday night.

i was half expecting it to be rubbish, and have aged terribly, but it wasn’t and it hasn’t.

still ace.

9/10

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Pidge said:

Ten minute fight sequence between Keith David and Roddy Piper you pair of quegs.

I hit the fast forward for that.

11 hours ago, RedKnight said:

A Star Is Born - I've never seen any of the previous versions of this film so knew nothing much of it going into it. It's a very tidy film with good performances by both leads - Lady Gaga in particular is really good in a low key role, especially in the film's early scenes and you wouldn't believe that she was a world famous performer. Some good songs along the way from both Gaga and Cooper and special mention to Sam Elliott being great as Sam Elliott. There are moments where the time frame seems a bit choppy but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it. 8.5 out of 10 with the .5 extra point for Cooper's strong hair game.

Hair transplants gain points now? 

• Upvote 1

Mandy - 9/10

An lsd trip of a movie featuring Nic Cafe's most unhinged performance since Bad Lieutenant.

Worth seeing for the mental breakdown on the toilet whilst swigging a bottle of vodka scene alone. There's a moment you can tell that even the cameraman doesn't know what Cage is going to do and pulls back suddenly after a long closing in shot.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Special K said:

Mandy - 9/10

An lsd trip of a movie featuring Nic Cafe's most unhinged performance since Bad Lieutenant.

Worth seeing for the mental breakdown on the toilet whilst swigging a bottle of vodka scene alone. There's a moment you can tell that even the cameraman doesn't know what Cage is going to do and pulls back suddenly after a long closing in shot.

Glad to see another person enjoyed this, although the version I watched didn't have Nic Café in it. 

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Glad to see another person enjoyed this, although the version I watched didn't have Nic Café in it. 

Ha ha. Bloody autocorrect

14 hours ago, Pidge said:

It's no masterpiece, but it's a silly bit of nonsense fun.  It's basically an 80s equivalent to Hard Target.

Exactly. It also has one of the all time great lines in it.

• Upvote 1

I like They Live. And Prince Of Darkness. 

It's the later Carpenter stuff - Escape From LA, In The Mouth Of Madness, and Ghosts Of Mars - that show a sad decline in his film making. Hell, even Statham can't save Ghosts Of Mars.

• Upvote 1

The autopsy of Jane Doe. 7/10. Seen it before but was bored on Netflix last night so watched again. Not bad, kept we watching but could have done with a bit more creepyness.

A father and son who run a mortuary have to perform an autopsy on a young woman brought in by the police and determine cause of death. Upon starting the autopsy they can't see any visual cause but when they dig a little deeper they find some interesting details..

The Merciless ( Bulhandang ) - Korean Movie making at its very very best . Undercover cop goes to prison and befriends a crime boss.

It was selected for Cannes last year ...Its dark and fucking incredibly brutal, stunning cinematography,superb story and just brilliant acting jampacked with brilliantly choreographed, violent action sequences .Right from the off this movie just pulls you in ...this is a a top class must see movie    10/10

15 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Hair transplants gain points now? 

I don't think you know what hair transplants are if you think that's what's going on with his hair.

57 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

I don't think you know what hair transplants are if you think that's what's going on with his hair.

Well something is matey. 

17 hours ago, Anubis said:

It's the later Carpenter stuff - Escape From LA, In The Mouth Of Madness, and Ghosts Of Mars - that show a sad decline in his film making. Hell, even Statham can't save Ghosts Of Mars.

Whoa steady there Tiger. 

I thought that The Mouth of Madness was rather good. The other two were shite

19 hours ago, Anubis said:

Prince of Darkness is fucking ace. Creepy as fuck from start to finish, not least because of the two note synth pulse soundtrack that runs throughout. 

What horror should be, rather than a shitload of CGI jump scares.

• Upvote 1

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:12 AM, AngryofTuebrook said:

I hit the fast forward for that.

Image result for they live gif

What's your view on Big Trouble in Little China?

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Image result for they live gif

What's your view on Big Trouble in Little China?

Never seen it. (If it also features wrestlers acting like wrestlers I might swerve it.)

8 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Never seen it. (If it also features wrestlers acting like wrestlers I might swerve it.)

Related image

• Upvote 1

Venom - Weak sauce comic book adaptation from Sony as they try to extract every ounce from the Spider-Man licence without actually using Spider-Man. Felt it was missing large chunks of exposition as well thinly sketching every character but then Venom as a character isn't that interesting. He looks cool as shit on the page but the CGI here is on a par with Spider-Man 3 and that film is over 10 years old. Poor dialogue, boring first half, one-liners that land with all the grace of a falling elephant and a mid-credit sequence that was truly laughable and awful; three people got up and left after 30 minutes. Not as bad as the Amazing Spider-Man 2 but so far away from MCU films. 3 out of 10.

Man in the White Suit

It's basically the Ealing Studios version of the Shmoo, an American comic idea of a creature which would solve world hunger, but is always killed off because of the threat it represents to the economy.  One of the strongest plots of the Ealing lot, but not the most entertaining of their films (still prefer the collapsing farce of The Ladykillers).  

Watched Passport to Pimlico the other day as well, these are great films.  Wish there were more modern films with the same imagination and down-to-earth mentality.

• Upvote 1