You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Watched two films on the themes of dinner parties, both good in their own way.

Coherence. 7.5/10. Low budget sci-fi, friends gather at a house for a get together on the night a comet passes by earth. Strange things happen. If you like stuff like Triangle and Primer you should like this.

The Invitation. 7/10. A man accepts an invitation to a dinner with his ex wife, her new fella and his old circle of friends. Dark drama with anticipation of menace just around the corner. 

Murder on the Orient Express - Kenneth Branagh's take on the Agatha Christie story. Visually it looked very lavish, it's cast was high calibre and Branagh was very good as Poirot and yet I don't think it was all it could've been; very much less than the sum of it's parts. It was decent but I feel like it should've been better. Either way, I'd like to see Branagh's Poirot again in Death on the Nile. 6.5 out of 10.

2 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Watched two films on the themes of dinner parties, both good in their own way.

Coherence. 7.5/10. Low budget sci-fi, friends gather at a house for a get together on the night a comet passes by earth. Strange things happen. If you like stuff like Triangle and Primer you should like this.

The Invitation. 7/10. A man accepts an invitation to a dinner with his ex wife, her new fella and his old circle of friends. Dark drama with anticipation of menace just around the corner. 

Coherence sounds like it might be up my street. Looks like it's on Netflix, so I'll check it out.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

@moof you blazing bastard, what did you think of Star Trek? 

Didn’t watch it in the end mate, she didn’t fancy a movie so we stuck on Hypernormalisation instead and drank some tequila. Was pretty good in fairness  

Gonna check it out tonight, I think. 

4 minutes ago, moof said:

Didn’t watch it in the end mate, she didn’t fancy a movie so we stuck on Hypernormalisation instead and drank some tequila. Was pretty good in fairness  

Gonna check it out tonight, I think. 

Hypernormalisation? I’m out if the loop on that one. I just acquired 28 Day and Weeks later, so I might pop them in the VHS player and open some Tab Clear and a packet of beef Space Invaders.  

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Hypernormalisation? I’m out if the loop on that one. I just acquired 28 Day and Weeks later, so I might pop them in the VHS player and open some Tab Clear and a packet of beef Space Invaders.  

That sounds like a boss plan. Have you got enough space invaders to see you through to the boxing? 

It’s the Adam Curtis documentary about how governments and the ruling class over the years have constructed a fake reality that we’ve all bought into. It’s actually really ace, I’d check it out if you haven’t seen it 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Elite said:

Tony?

Yeah, he’s over for a movie night. We’ve just finished off our Findus crispy pancakes, with Artic Roll for desert (Tony had Tea and Custard Creams too, I had Pink Wafers). He’s up having a bubble bath (Matey, obviously) and washing his hair with Vosene. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, moof said:

That sounds like a boss plan. Have you got enough space invaders to see you through to the boxing? 

It’s the Adam Curtis documentary about how governments and the ruling class over the years have constructed a fake reality that we’ve all bought into. It’s actually really ace, I’d check it out if you haven’t seen it 

I will do exactly that. 

Plenty if Soace Invaders. I’m worried about how much Tab Clear we’ve got left though. I might have to bust out the tins of Rio. Not an ideal accompaniment to our Kinder surprises but at least we’ve got our polystyrene aeroplanes to keep us occupied. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I will do exactly that. 

Plenty if Soace Invaders. I’m worried about how much Tab Clear we’ve got left though. I might have to bust out the tins of Rio. Not an ideal accompaniment to our Kinder surprises but at least we’ve got our polystyrene aeroplanes to keep us occupied. 

This is a man who knows his refreshing beverages. Did tony’s ma remember to pack his knight rider pyjamas?

• Upvote 2

Mandy - new film with Nicolas Cage.

Now this is fucking weird. I really mean it. It's fucking proper weird. Seriously, very fucking weird.

Think Tobe Hooper makes Stranger Things. Tobe Hooper made brilliant horror films. Stranger Things is a brilliant TV show. This is really brilliant. It's also very fucking weird.

9/10.

(It's fucking weird)

Mission Impossible: Fallout. 5/10.

All felt a bit meh, to be honest.

Felt like a goodbye to the series, revisiting past bits. Bad guy part of the team. Use of a knife by bad guy. Sharp pointy thing at Ethan's throat (end of the first film). Fake room set up (like the pre-opening credit set piece from the first film. Rock climbing like the second. Re-visit the wife. Nuclear bomb diffused at last second (Ghost Protocol). Motorbike chase. I'm not sure we'll see another one. Although maybe now that Universal's Dark Universe is on it's arse after The Mummy, and Jack Reacher bombed at second hurdle, the Cruiser may not have another franchise to jump to. So maybe we will see another.

4 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I'm disappointed that in this discussion no one's noticed that the crisps weren't called Space Invaders. They're Space Raiders.

Not mad, just disappointed.

I’m well aware of what they’re called. But I was too much of a spaz then and I’m too much of a spaz now. T, pick me up a sherbet dib dab and an ice pole (10p one). 

• Upvote 1

Sicario: Day Of The Soldado. 5/10. Bit of a mess compared to the first film, with no real direction to the plot. Starts with an interesting premise but they clearly didn't know where to go with it.

Solo. 7/10. Enjoyable bit of popcorn that doesn't outstay it's welcome 

On 9/14/2018 at 5:44 PM, Numero Veinticinco said:

Sweet. Let me know what you think. 

Going to need to watch it again as I got distracted about half way through, but up until that point I was really enjoying. It was well acted, well written. Interesting to see some of the prejudices and hardships the characters faced and how it shaped them, really memorable personalities. The progression from troubled, maligned genius to captain was quite satisfying, although I couldn’t take to Kirk at all.

The vibrancy of the different worlds and cultures they portrayed really stood out, especially Vulcan. It’s quite clear there’s a deep and rich lore backing all of this which is going to require more investigation. The action bits were exciting. The time travelling stuff was a bit off the wall, but I suppose that’s something that would be easier to follow if you were actually focussing. So, yeah, going to watch it again and overall, the impression I’m left with is one of “oh, is this what I’ve been missing?” First exposure to Star Trek, certainly whetted the appetite. What’s the old shit like?

Oh and Zoe Saldana is dazzling. Just sensational. *rubs thighs up and down*