You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Amazing, my favourite of the Ghibli films. It's a few years since I've seen it, so I should rewatch it, but it's at least a 9/10 for me.

New podcast called Ghiblioteque about all their films. It’s good even if I disagree with their take on Spirited Away and despise their soft G nonsense.

9/10 for me too on PM, by the way.

Ant-Man and the Wasp - Good palette cleanser for the MCU after Avengers: Infinity War. Light, frothy and, with lower stakes than usual, it's got a good sense of humour and nice performances, especially from Evangeline Lilly and Michelle Pfeiffer in a smaller role. Marvel seem incapable of making a bad movie, their batting average is terrific over almost 10 years. 7.5 out of 10

Mission Impossible: Fallout - 8/10. Exactly what Bond should be: amazing stunts, great fight scenes, ridiculous “save the world” concepts all held together by a huge star.

And I have to say, leaving aside the weirdness, I like Cruisey the movie star. His huge adrenaline addiction also serves these movies brilliantly because it makes a huge difference to see that it’s actually him doing the stunts in most cases.

Certainly, I found the bike chase and cliff face scenes far more compelling as a result. You can also see him stagger on the just broken ankle that shut down production for three months. I suppose that’s all a bit 4th wall-y, but it certainly drew me in more effectively as a result.

A Futile and Stupid Gesture

Netflix biography about Doug Kelley who founded National Lampoon and wrote Animal House and Caddyshack and did shit tons of cocaine with Chevy Chase.

Pretty interesting and intermittently amusing with some ruminating on success and the mindset of comedians.

The dude who plays Doug is way too old, particularly when he’s supposed to be a student at Harvard. Which is a bit off putting.

Luckily John Belushi, Bill Murray and Chris Guest are barely in it because the actors don’t look anything like them either. The guy playing Chevy Chase is better, and Domnhall Gleeson is good and unrecognisable under a comedy black wig as Doug’s mate and Lampoon co-founder Henry.

Worth a watch if you like a bit of comedy history. 6.5/10

Ha, ha, ha! “Ticking a box”. Mr Diversity over here. Billions of people around the world who never see people who look like them when they watch blockbuster movies might just disagree.

I don't have a problem with them making a film based on a black superhero. I'm saying that Disney went into it with that as their only priority, the film is shite, and doesn't serve any purpose its there to be the token black film. The fact they made it is a racist stereotype.

And Will Smith is in loads of blockbuster movies, so don't talk shite.

I don't have a problem with them making a film based on a black superhero. I'm saying that Disney went into it with that as their only priority, the film is shite, and doesn't serve any purpose its there to be the token black film. The fact they made it is a racist stereotype.

And Will Smith is in loads of blockbuster movies, so don't talk shite.

Yeah. That’s all bollocks mate.

Antman and The Wasp 6/10

Not bad, not that great for me either.

Didn’t have the charm of the first and most of the jokes for me either didn’t hit the spot or felt reused from the first one.

Probably the first Marvel film I felt underwhelmed from actually.

I thought ready player one was brilliant.

Justice League was that bad it nearly made Batman v Superman look good. They need to stop letting Zack Snyder anywhere near films.

Watched mother! on the weekend and it’s a really hard one to describe. It’s a hard film to watch because it’s really repetitive, annoying and frustrating. It’s really not an enjoyable film. I didn’t have a clue what it was about going into it or any of the theories surrounding it and that’s potentially impacted my experience.

Coming away from the film though and reading those theories it is actually quite a clever film/piece of art and probably worth seeing. It just doesn’t stop it being a hard watch though.

I take my hat off to anyone who can sit through 150 minutes of Dan Aykroyd doing that ridiculous fucking voice, boring car chases & a load of watered down R&B covers. It's fine when you're ten but I'll be happy if I never have to sit through another second of it again.

It's up there with Stand By Me & Pulp Fiction for sacred cow films which I think are shite.

This should probably go in the 'abuse' thread.

• Upvote 1