You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

I watched Psycho III on Sunday night, Anthony Perkins directed it & it's a bit of a B movie, 80s remake of the original really. Enjoyable pish, 5/10.

The second one is not that bad

with Perkins actually not being the villain for the main part

Yet to watch the third one.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely not trying to piss on anyone’s chips here, but I thought There Will Be Blood was awful. The most detestable, emperor’s new clothes, pretentious shite. In fact I think that director is wildly overrated. I’ve only ever rated two of his: Magnolia and Punch Drunk Love. I thought Boogie Nights was ridiculously over-hyped too

I am not a big fan of There Will Be Blood either but I didn't think it was that pretentious, watching it I kept thinking that the film was actually about acting, that is, about how Daniel Day Lewis is a great actor. Regardless of whether you agree that he is or think he isn't, that was what the film was mainly about. I cannot explain that, but it felt that the plot (which was set by the novel anyway, if I'm not mistaken) was here just as an excuse to organize, direct every scene around a challenge for the actors to "shine", I felt Anderson was not actually all that interested in the story he was telling.So if you think it was great acting, you like the film, if you think it's self-indulgent, you don't.

PTAs movies are usually more about themes and characterizations than detailed realisitc plots. I believe he said TWBB was a film about greed and he himself watched Treasure of the Sierra Madre every night while making TWBB. For me it is mainly a period piece really - trying to portray the period -  relying on more subtle and abstract means and not going for the fake re-enactment nonsense of the likes of Schindlers List etc

• Upvote 1

I am not a big fan of There Will Be Blood either but I didn't think it was that pretentious, watching it I kept thinking that the film was actually about acting, that is, about how Daniel Day Lewis is a great actor. Regardless of whether you agree that he is or think he isn't, that was what the film was mainly about. I cannot explain that, but it felt that the plot (which was set by the novel anyway, if I'm not mistaken) was here just as an excuse to organize, direct every scene around a challenge for the actors to "shine", I felt Anderson was not actually all that interested in the story he was telling.So if you think it was great acting, you like the film, if you think it's self-indulgent, you don't.

I agree. However, I also think the acting was ridiculously overblown. Hence, pretentious.

Absolutely not trying to piss on anyone’s chips here, but I thought There Will Be Blood was awful. The most detestable, emperor’s new clothes, pretentious shite. In fact I think that director is wildly overrated. I’ve only ever rated two of his: Magnolia and Punch Drunk Love. I thought Boogie Nights was ridiculously over-hyped too

Hard Eight >>>>>> Boogie Nights

Suspiria (accompanied with rum old-fashioneds)

A landslide of batshit.  A full-blown assault on your senses and sensibilities.  Possibly the greatest sound design in the history of film, married to a visual banquet of excellent set design and cinematography.  The colours as overwhelming as the audio, the acting as absurd as the plot.  Never has a set of gels carried so much weight.  The ending is over a bit too quickly, but if you're focusing on the story you've missed the point. 

10/10

• Upvote 1

The new one or the old one?

The remake isn’t released until the end of September, there have been less than a handful of private showings, Tarantino has seen it, he thought it was brilliant.

I like Argento’s film, but I think Deep Red and Tenebre are better. The remake actually looks really good, lot of talent involved and the Thom Yorke score sounds suitably ominous from the little I’ve heard. It’s about an hour longer than the original, it’ll be interesting to see how they’ve padded that out.

I went to a screening of Suspiria where Goblin were playing the score live, really surreal experience.

The remake isn’t released until the end of September, there have been less than a handful of private showings, Tarantino has seen it, he thought it was brilliant.

I like Argento’s film, but I think Deep Red and Tenebre are better. The remake actually looks really good, lot of talent involved and the Thom Yorke score sounds suitably ominous from the little I’ve heard. It’s about an hour longer than the original, it’ll be interesting to see how they’ve padded that out.

I went to a screening of Suspiria where Goblin were playing the score live, really surreal experience.

Didnt Goblin do the music for Dawn of the Dead?

They did, the Argento cut of Dawn only uses music by Goblin, the theatrical cut (Romero’s) uses a mix of Goblin and stock music.

Yeh.But Rampage shits all over them and the music is ace.

Mission: Impossible - Fallout - Enjoyed this. It's more of the same but then Rogue Nation and Ghost Protocol were both really fun. Good stunts, decent twists in the plot and Cruise doing what he always does, though he is starting to look his age. 8 out of 10

Justice League - Better than Man of Steel and Batman vs. Superman but not as good as Wonder Woman. Still overburdened with weightless CGI and garish backgrounds that look terrible it's at least a little bit funnier thanks to Ezra Miller's Flash. The villain looked crap with his lips not even syncing with the dialogue at times and all his minions were just anonymous cannon fodder. Eh, all a bit average and ill-thought out. 5 out of 10.

Ghost Stories. 7/10.

A love letter to the old horror anthology films. Creepy rather than outright frightening. Paul Whitehouse's night watchman segment is the standout tale (fuck taking a job as a night watchman in an old building). The ending could be interpreted in a couple of different ways. Overall a solid effort.

Batman: Gotham By Gaslight. 7/10.

Animated film pitting a Victoriana Batman against a stateside Jack The Ripper. Entertaining enough.

• Upvote 1

Ghost Stories. 7/10.

A love letter to the old horror anthology films. Creepy rather than outright frightening. Paul Whitehouse's night watchman segment is the standout tale (fuck taking a job as a night watchman in an old building). The ending could be interpreted in a couple of different ways. Overall a solid effort.

Batman: Gotham By Gaslight. 7/10.

Animated film pitting a Victoriana Batman against a stateside Jack The Ripper. Entertaining enough.

I really enjoyed Ghost Stories, I agree about the Paul Whitehouse bit that was genuinely creepy.

Sadly, Incredibles 2 isn't as good as the first film. The main villain is dull (and Syndrome was just so good) and to me it felt like a sequel, i.e. you know that certain characters will appear at some point and though their scenes are done well they still feel bolted on rather than intrinsic to the plot. Having said that, it's still a fun film and Jack-Jack v raccoon is awesome. 7/10

Ant Man and the Wasp - if you can switch off your understanding of science and ignore some horrible inconsistencies (I know it's a superhero film but they contradict their own rules from the first movie), then for the first 3/4 of the film it's a 7/10; it's good fun and the Wasp is great. The finale is really well paced, you understand why the villain behaves as he/she does, the action sequences are creative, and the end credit scene is well worth staying for. Overall 8/10.

Is it better than the first?

Probably not but can’t say i’m a big movie buff so can’t really remember the first one, i’ve seen it but not for a while.

I don’t have a great memory when it comes to films!

As a standalone film I really enjoyed the second one.