You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

On 11/08/2022 at 10:52, Harry's Lad said:

Thirteen Lives.

It grips you and doesn't let go.

Just superb and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Half way through this ,( it's a long film and I had some grass to smoke) but it's excellent so far .

Brian and Charles 

Boss little comedy, quirky but brilliant. Well worth a watch. David Earl gives a great performance as a majorly eccentric and heavily insecure, inventor of?......things. The egg belt and the drain unblocker being my personal favourite. 

8 savoy cabbages / 10 Hula Skirts

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chip Butty said:

Brian and Charles 

Boss little comedy, quirky but brilliant. Well worth a watch. David Earl gives a great performance as a majorly eccentric and heavily insecure, inventor of?......things. The egg belt and the drain unblocker being my personal favourite. 

8 savoy cabbages / 10 Hula Skirts

If you liked Brian & Charles then give The Phantom of The Open a go.

• Upvote 1

Bullet Train - 4/10. Below average entry into the quirky assassin/action film genre with a very good, but wasted, cast.

Day Shift - 1/10. Seriously, who is doing the quality control on Netflix films. Who is green-lighting this shit. Promised John Wick with vampires. Delivered a bottle of shot in a cardboard box full of shit.

19 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Bullet Train - 4/10. Below average entry into the quirky assassin/action film genre with a very good, but wasted, cast.

Day Shift - 1/10. Seriously, who is doing the quality control on Netflix films. Who is green-lighting this shit. Promised John Wick with vampires. Delivered a bottle of shot in a cardboard box full of shit.

Unfortunately the moment someone presses play, the execs see the movie as a success. They'll probably make a sequel for you now.

I didn't mind Dayshift to be honest. I wasn't expecting much going in, which helped. I'd give it a 5.5/10.

The main baddy has all the presence and threat of the last bond villain and Jamie Fox and the younger Franco aren't much better.

An extra point for Fox's wife. I also quite liked Snoop.

1 hour ago, redheart said:

Daylight

Some nice action set pieces but all a bit meh.

Seen this lots of time before. The two leaders (Foxx and Franco) have no chemistry and neither can act.

The main baddie is played Karla Souza who cannot act and cannot carry a scene.

4/10

Amen.

Edit: I thought that was James Franco. The point, as amended, stands.

On 10/08/2022 at 06:59, Paul said:

I rewatched it last night and I think it’s really good. It’s got a great cast and tackles the even higher concept than usual brilliantly. It’s equal third in the series with Prey for me. 

Predator - 10/10

Predator 2 - 9/10 (I love this one. I think it gets way too much shit simply because it was such a left turn from the original and had no Arnie. The cast is fucking superb). 

Predators/Prey - 8/10

AVP - 6.5/10 (I really like it and it only scores so low because the cast is mostly really shit)

The Predator 6/10 (the Shane Black script has its moments but again, let down by a pretty lowly cast)

AVP 2 - Less than 6/10 (can’t remember much about it other than it’s shit and not worth rewatching). 

Rewatched AVP tonight and it’s much better than I said here. It’s at least a 7.5/10 and the cast isn’t as shit as I recalled either. Think I was mixing it up with the next one. Love the expanded mythology, the links via Weyland to Alien, the crossover itself, the build up and pacing and also the action sequences. Some good shots of the face huggers in slow motion as they launch at their victims too. I really enjoyed it. 

Prey - it's good and bad at the same time. Quite polarising. Like a cross between the movie Predator and the video games Senua, Assassin's Creed and Horizon Zero Dawn. 6/10 and 8.5/10.

DC Super Pets (or something like that)

went to see this yesterday so we could stay out of the heat for a couple of hours and it was absolute rubbish but very good fun and thoroughly enjoyable.

I don’t watch superhero films so there were probably some inside jokes I missed but this was funny in places, daft in others, and a bit nonsense in the rest.

7/10 

10 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

The Gray Man

Ryan Gosling and Chris Evans give this a decent go (Ana de Armas doesn’t have much to do) but the plot is insultingly nonexistent.

If you like a bit of intrigue and intelligence in a spy film, then this is not the film for you.

4/10

She doesn't have to do anything her. Absolutely stunning woman. Arguably taken over Margot Robbie as the hottest present day actress for me. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/08/2022 at 06:59, Paul said:

I rewatched it last night and I think it’s really good. It’s got a great cast and tackles the even higher concept than usual brilliantly. It’s equal third in the series with Prey for me. 

Predator - 10/10

Predator 2 - 9/10 (I love this one. I think it gets way too much shit simply because it was such a left turn from the original and had no Arnie. The cast is fucking superb). 

Predators/Prey - 8/10

AVP - 6.5/10 (I really like it and it only scores so low because the cast is mostly really shit)

The Predator 6/10 (the Shane Black script has its moments but again, let down by a pretty lowly cast)

AVP 2 - Less than 6/10 (can’t remember much about it other than it’s shit and not worth rewatching). 

Never got the dislike for this either, in some ways i prefer it to the original. The very sweaty and slightly in the future LA setting is brilliant, and agree the ensemble cast is fantastic as it isn't all about one man like in the original. Was Bill Paxton ever in a bad film?   

• Upvote 1

On 10/08/2022 at 22:38, SilverSong said:

Moonfall. Highly recommend as essential viewing. It takes all the best bits of Armageddon, Deep Impact, 2012, Scarface, Ferris Buellers Day Off, Tenko and Blue Peter. Ignores them, adds a ruck of extra mature cheddar, puts it in a blender, completely fucks it up, adds chilli houmous and churns out a masterpiece of shitness.

400 megastructures out of 400 relative ratios.

Have you been reading the foodie thread ? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Was Bill Paxton ever in a bad film?

Genuinely can't think of one! Maybe Commando and Terminator, but they were only small roles anyway.

One of last roles was as the Master Sergeant in Edge of Tomorrow and he was marvellously over the top!

• Upvote 1

On 11/08/2022 at 10:38, VladimirIlyich said:

I'd like to think that 'Get Back' will nail the coffin lid shut on any more 'Beatles' films starring non Beatles in their roles. I've never seen one that hasn't made me cringe. The Ruttles is among the best as its a straight piss take and works better than the straight films.

Cheese and Onions is almost as good as The Beatles and deffo better than anything Oasis ever recorded.

14 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Genuinely can't think of one! Maybe Commando and Terminator, but they were only small roles anyway.

One of last roles was as the Master Sergeant in Edge of Tomorrow and he was marvellously over the top!

Commando and Terminator are not bad films!

• Upvote 1