You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

2 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Glad to see the Predators love here. I think it's underrated and never understood why it wasn't more liked 

Because people - and especially critics (but not exclusively so) - are snobs about both genre films and sequels.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paul said:

Yes. He’s a hugely iconic figure and the film has had great reviews. Why would I not watch it?

But I didn’t say I wasn’t arsed about Elvis, did it? I said I wasn’t arsed about the characters. The portrayal of Elvis is superficial, for me. We learn very little about him or his motivation; the casting seems solely focused on that fella’s ability to sound and, to a lesser extent, look like Elvis. 

I think it tried to cover too much and then ended up just sketching over almost everything. You could argue the film was more about Parker than it was Elvis, but we got very little on him either. 

My understanding is that it is supposed to show the story more from Parker’s side, which is why he’s played by a Hollywood a lister. Elvis is one of the characters so you kind of did say you weren’t arsed about him. If you meant the actors portrayal of elvis you weren’t arsed with, that’s different to saying mot arsed about the characters.

I haven’t seen it yet but I’m looking forward to seeing it and Austin Butler seems be getting a lot of plaudits, possibly even talk of Oscar nomination. 

2 hours ago, skend04 said:

Glad to see the Predators love here. I think it's underrated and never understood why it wasn't more liked 

I’m half way through it, it’s a good premise. They’ve just found Laurence Fishbourne. Looking forward to John Wick kicking everyone’s arse.

8 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

My understanding is that it is supposed to show the story more from Parker’s side, which is why he’s played by a Hollywood a lister. Elvis is one of the characters so you kind of did say you weren’t arsed about him. If you meant the actors portrayal of elvis you weren’t arsed with, that’s different to saying mot arsed about the characters.

I haven’t seen it yet but I’m looking forward to seeing it and Austin Butler seems be getting a lot of plaudits, possibly even talk of Oscar nomination. 

Fucking hell, mate! I know what I mean. You are aware that characters in a film - even a biopic - aren’t real, aren’t you? I have seen the film. I watched it because I was intrigued by both the reviews and by the fact it’s about Elvis. I was disappointed by the narrative and characters in the way the film presented them.  That’s it. 

‘Kinell! Was Elvis your old fella or something? 

I can't believe people waste their time on these music biopics, the trailers all look embarrassingly bad.

They keep threatening to make a Keith Moon one & if they do, they're going to be on the business end of one of my hissy fits.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Fucking hell, mate! I know what I mean. You are aware that characters in a film - even a biopic - aren’t real, aren’t you? I have seen the film. I watched it because I was intrigued by both the reviews and by the fact it’s about Elvis. I was disappointed by the narrative and characters in the way the film presented them.  That’s it. 

Don't be cruel.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Mook said:

I can't believe people waste their time on these music biopics, the trailers all look embarrassingly bad.

They keep threatening to make a Keith Moon one & if they do, they're going to be on the business end of one of my hissy fits.

Walk The Line is superb. 

I like the Notorious BIG one as well although I suspect you'd rather ram Biggy Smalls himself up your arse than watch it. 

45 minutes ago, Mook said:

They’re a bit Stars In Their Eyes, aren’t they?

5 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Yeah, Walk the Line is very good. I liked Straight Outta Compton and Control too.

Yeah agreed. 

Just now, Mook said:

Aye, exactly.

As for Walk The Line, I can't stand Johnny Cash so have no interest in watching it.

Ring of Fire hit a nerve did it? 

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Not a big deal, just seems odd to say Elvis character wasn't liked. Kind of like watching Titanic and being disappointed that the ship sinks.

Sssshhhh, Enough of the was he still is my old fella... 

Moonfall. Highly recommend as essential viewing. It takes all the best bits of Armageddon, Deep Impact, 2012, Scarface, Ferris Buellers Day Off, Tenko and Blue Peter. Ignores them, adds a ruck of extra mature cheddar, puts it in a blender, completely fucks it up, adds chilli houmous and churns out a masterpiece of shitness.

400 megastructures out of 400 relative ratios.

The Batman. Thoroughly enjoyed this. A welcome change from the Marvel comic book movies filled with quips, humour and too much fantasy. Batman is refreshing, gritty, gripping and I'm looking forward to more in this series. Went on a bit though and we hardly saw anything of Bruce Wayne, perhaps we'll see more of that side of his character in the sequel.

8/10

Prey. Much better than I feared it would be. Not as good as some people are raving about it, though. But enjoyable, and goes some way to restore the battered reputation of this franchise after the disgraceful last movie.

7/10

10 minutes ago, SilverSong said:

Moonfall. Highly recommend as essential viewing. It takes all the best bits of Armageddon, Deep Impact, 2012, Scarface, Ferris Buellers Day Off, Tenko and Blue Peter. Ignores them, adds a ruck of extra mature cheddar, puts it in a blender, completely fucks it up, adds chilli houmous and churns out a masterpiece of shitness.

9 hours ago, Mook said:

I'm with you here too. If I am interested in somebody or their career I much prefer a good documentary on them.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'm with you here too. If I am interested in somebody or their career I much prefer a good documentary on them.

The one that perplexed me was Ali, with Will Smith winning the Oscar for his portrayal of Mohammed Ali.

If I want to watch a film about Mohammed Ali then I'll watch one with Mohammed Ali...like I did with the vastly superior and incredible When We Were Kings.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The one that perplexed me was Ali, with Will Smith winning the Oscar for his portrayal of Mohammed Ali.

If I want to watch a film about Mohammed Ali then I'll watch one with Mohammed Ali...like I did with the vastly superior and incredible When We Were Kings.

Smith didn't win as Oscar for his role in Ali, he was nominated though. I wasn't impressed by his performance in that movie, he was never able to bring the charisma of Ali to the screen.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I'd like to think that 'Get Back' will nail the coffin lid shut on any more 'Beatles' films starring non Beatles in their roles. I've never seen one that hasn't made me cringe. The Ruttles is among the best as its a straight piss take and works better than the straight films.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, SilverSong said:

Moonfall is legitimately one of the worst and stupidest wastes of my life I've ever watched.

It makes no fucking sense at any point.

The bit that really fucking irritated me though?

The British 'Doctor', making jokes about being born and raised in the UK and making very specific jokes about his Britishness. it turns out his mother is a born a bred Yank who has lived there her whole life.

It was monkeys and typewriter level of nonsense.

My excuse, i was on a plane and I'd seen pretty much everything else.

Awful, avoid.

On 11/08/2022 at 10:52, Harry's Lad said:

Thirteen Lives.

It grips you and doesn't let go.

Just superb and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Watched this last night and, while I wouldn’t quite rate it as highly as you’ve done, I enjoyed it. 7/10.