You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Prey(One Gal and her Dog) For me I thought it very good and pushing itself to possibly the second best of all the predator films?

Thought the tension built well, ok the girl was probably too quick to pick up some of the predators weaknesses but in this day and age of strong female characters, why shouldn’t she, if Dutch can, why can’t Naru.

7.5 laser guided arrows / 10 skinned buffalo. 

The Seven Samurai

Wonderful movie: profound, exciting, funny, moving.

There is, at times, an element of South Park's "God Damn Mongolians" to it that I wasn't expecting.

Deserves it's ranking as a classic, on it's own terms, and in terms of the movie conventions it created. 

• Upvote 2

On 08/08/2022 at 01:09, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Not a film but I went to the cinema so I’m putting it in here as well as in the Jodie Comer thread.

went to see a showing of her one woman play Prima Facie tonight and it was absolutely superb and she was phenomenal throughout.

in the first half, it’s a good play within which she’s brilliant and it’s enjoyable.

in the second half it’s a powerful and at times emotional play within which she’s even better.

difficult subject matter so some might feel the need to miss it, but I’d make this compulsory viewing for anyone over 15 that doesn’t have PTSD as a result of being raped.

I did a little cry at one point, and I would defo have clapped at the end if anyone else had started to, which I did expect might happen but didn’t.

edit: I reckon it would feel more powerful to see it live in person, but the way it was filmed made it great to see in the cinema as you got to be directed by the filmmakers to see what they wanted you to see. It worked really, really well.

10/10.

Can echo this as I went to see this last night. 

Amazing performance from Jodie Comer. 

10/10

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Didn't make the link that the little musket/hand gun thing that Naru uses in Prey is the same gun Danny Glover get's handed in Predator 2 and the animation that plays in the first part of the credits replaying the story goes beyond the films ending to show what might have happened next and how the predators get the gun back.

I got onto it being the same gun but not to the animated explainer. I’ll go back as when I saw it, I thought, “How the fuck does that connect?” - particularly as I’ve read the comic which previously has dealt with the pistol. 

20 minutes ago, Paul said:

I got onto it being the same gun but not to the animated explainer. I’ll go back as when I saw it, I thought, “How the fuck does that connect?” - particularly as I’ve read the comic which previously has dealt with the pistol. 

So just gone back to rewatch the animation after the end of film and, unless I’m just being very dense, it doesn’t explain the link. It just retells the story of the film (Prey). 

5 minutes ago, Paul said:

So just gone back to rewatch the animation after the end of film and, unless I’m just being very dense, it doesn’t explain the link. It just retells the story of the film (Prey). 

My first thought when realizing the gun is the same as Predator 2 was 'that makes no sense, she killed the predator, how did they have the gun'.

If you watch the animation at the end it runs through the whole film but right at the end after the drawings of her showing the decapitated head of the predator to the tribe there's additional drawings that show a predator ship appearing through the clouds hovering over the village which suggests the predators came back wiped them all out and took the gun.

Still makes no sense in the grand scheme of things (and re-writes the comic).

2 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

My first thought when realizing the gun is the same as Predator 2 was 'that makes no sense, she killed the predator, how did they have the gun'.

If you watch the animation at the end it runs through the whole film but right at the end after the drawings of her showing the decapitated head of the predator to the tribe there's additional drawings that show a predator ship appearing through the clouds hovering over the village which suggests the predators came back wiped them all out and took the gun.

Still makes no sense in the grand scheme of things (and re-writes the comic).

Thank for the massive spoiler there.

7 hours ago, Paul said:

Elvis - 6.5/10. Decent enough biopic with some great musical performances, but ultimately I just wasn’t arsed enough about any of the characters. 

Watching an elvis film when you can’t be arsed about elvis? 

Tutti Frutti. All rooty. A wap bam beluba a wap bamboo.

Just did a Spielberg double whammy. 2 days ago it was 13 year old Christian Bale in ‘Empire Of The Sun’ and decided it was probably, at the time it was made, Spielberg’s best film. Solid 9/10 

Yesterday I put on ‘Schindler’s List’ starring Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes & Ben Kingsley, amongst other fantastic actors & actresses. A Directors Cut. Still an incredibly moving true story, brilliantly told. Epic - 10/10. Yes I think its as close to perfect as can be gotten.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Predator - 9/10

Predator 2 - 7/10

Aliens v Predator - 3/10

Aliens v Predator Requiem - 5/10

Predators - 8/10

Prey - 7/10

That good?

8 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Yeah I enjoyed it. Plenty of bullets flying round. Some good set pieces. Laurence Fishburne living on an abandoned spaceship. Maybe a 7, but I'm feeling generous.

I rewatched it last night and I think it’s really good. It’s got a great cast and tackles the even higher concept than usual brilliantly. It’s equal third in the series with Prey for me. 

Predator - 10/10

Predator 2 - 9/10 (I love this one. I think it gets way too much shit simply because it was such a left turn from the original and had no Arnie. The cast is fucking superb). 

Predators/Prey - 8/10

AVP - 6.5/10 (I really like it and it only scores so low because the cast is mostly really shit)

The Predator 6/10 (the Shane Black script has its moments but again, let down by a pretty lowly cast)

AVP 2 - Less than 6/10 (can’t remember much about it other than it’s shit and not worth rewatching). 

13 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Watching an elvis film when you can’t be arsed about elvis? 

Tutti Frutti. All rooty. A wap bam beluba a wap bamboo.

Yes. He’s a hugely iconic figure and the film has had great reviews. Why would I not watch it?

But I didn’t say I wasn’t arsed about Elvis, did it? I said I wasn’t arsed about the characters. The portrayal of Elvis is superficial, for me. We learn very little about him or his motivation; the casting seems solely focused on that fella’s ability to sound and, to a lesser extent, look like Elvis. 

I think it tried to cover too much and then ended up just sketching over almost everything. You could argue the film was more about Parker than it was Elvis, but we got very little on him either.