You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Prey - Difficult to do something different with Predator when it's such an obvious one-and-done idea. This is probably the second best Predator film, depending on your tolerance for Predator 2's sloppy excess, with a pared down running time (always welcome) and a more restrained use of the Predator for the first half of the film. It's got problems, it's easy to predict large parts of it but it makes a good fist of low-tech prowess versus the ultimate hunter shtick. 7 out of 10 - at least it wasn't Predators/The Predator is a bonus.

Everything Everywhere All At Once - one of the maddest films I’ve ever seen. Funny, strange, bewildering, clever and full of “What the fuck?” moments. It is both visually stunning and cheap & tacky looking while Michelle Yeoh’s performance is incredible. I don’t know how to rate it beyond amazing in all senses of the word. A truly unique film. 

Prey - 6/10. Doesn’t add or detract from the mythology, although nice to see the earlier Predator tech which was a good idea. Does seem to shit over the established premise that they only hunt in hot environments though.

Ghostbusters Afterlife 

Watched this with the kids & I'm not sure if I was just in the right mood for it or what but I I absolutely fucking loved it. As far as rebooting an 80s kids film goes, this was pretty much perfect in every way. The DVD has gone back into the cupboard sitting deservedly alongside Ghostbusters & Ghostbusters 2.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Alien vs Predator got there way before Prey.

Wasn't a high-tech pyramid to be seen in this either.

Working from distant memory, but doesn’t the pyramid get turned on and made all warm and toasty, hence the satellite image from beneath the ice?

4 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Working from distant memory, but doesn’t the pyramid get turned on and made all warm and toasty, hence the satellite image from beneath the ice?

Possibly, Is it heat or an energy source, the scientists all wander around it with big coats on.

Arctic's a stupid place to build it if they have to heat it up, Predators dad would have gone mental them fucking with the thermostat all the time.

Nothing in that film made sense so I doubt the writers even knew what it was supposed to be.

On 06/08/2022 at 21:21, Paul said:

Everything Everywhere All At Once - one of the maddest films I’ve ever seen. Funny, strange, bewildering, clever and full of “What the fuck?” moments. It is both visually stunning and cheap & tacky looking while Michelle Yeoh’s performance is incredible. I don’t know how to rate it beyond amazing in all senses of the word. A truly unique film. 

Great film isn’t it.

Truly unique and hard to keep up with sometimes but it really does pay off and stays with you a while afterwards.

9 hot dog fingers out of 10

• Upvote 1

Not a film but I went to the cinema so I’m putting it in here as well as in the Jodie Comer thread.

went to see a showing of her one woman play Prima Facie tonight and it was absolutely superb and she was phenomenal throughout.

in the first half, it’s a good play within which she’s brilliant and it’s enjoyable.

in the second half it’s a powerful and at times emotional play within which she’s even better.

difficult subject matter so some might feel the need to miss it, but I’d make this compulsory viewing for anyone over 15 that doesn’t have PTSD as a result of being raped.

I did a little cry at one point, and I would defo have clapped at the end if anyone else had started to, which I did expect might happen but didn’t.

edit: I reckon it would feel more powerful to see it live in person, but the way it was filmed made it great to see in the cinema as you got to be directed by the filmmakers to see what they wanted you to see. It worked really, really well.

10/10.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Mook said:

Ghostbusters Afterlife 

Watched this with the kids & I'm not sure if I was just in the right mood for it or what but I I absolutely fucking loved it. As far as rebooting an 80s kids film goes, this was pretty much perfect in every way. The DVD has gone back into the cupboard sitting deservedly alongside Ghostbusters & Ghostbusters 2.

I thought the same mate, deffo wiped away a stray tear at the end too. 

Underwater - Basically Alien meets The Abyss, set seven miles down in the Mariana Trench. A good few jump scares and it literally starts with the action from the first minute or so. Never really been a fan of Kirsten Stewart before, but she looks boss in her skimps. 6/10 

Bullet Train - 7.5/10. Ignore the embarrassingly snobbish reviews from the critics. This is great fun. A load of assassins on a bullet train all trying to satisfy various contracts. What’s not to love about that? 

8 hours ago, Pete said:

The Batman.

Decent enough film but needed a damn good editing. Way to long.

Yeah it's ridiculously long that film. 

Grey Man - 7/10, John Wick esque and a good watch, Chris Evans is boss in it.

Prey - 4/10, tedious. 

Didn't make the link that the little musket/hand gun thing that Naru uses in Prey is the same gun Danny Glover get's handed in Predator 2 and the animation that plays in the first part of the credits replaying the story goes beyond the films ending to show what might have happened next and how the predators get the gun back.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It seems simply a ploy to change that scheister Tom Parker's image,from my understanding.

From cunt to bigger cunt?