You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

3 minutes ago, redheart said:

I thought it was very good but I thought that the ending was a cop out

If it's the one I'm thinking of, is it not based on a true story? How were they supposed to end it if it is? 

1 hour ago, redheart said:

Its not a true story

Promising Young Woman - Wikipedia

In particular read the section on production and the original ending which would have been much better

I'm thinking of a movie about a woman who was abducted by a guy who killed loads of women, she was kept for a few days and raped etc and was released after pleading with her captor. She then recalled everything in detail even though she was blindfolded and only one person believed her account.

Just now, Shooter in the Motor said:

I'm thinking of a movie about a woman who was abducted by a guy who killed loads of women, she was kept for a few days and raped etc and was released after pleading with her captor. She then recalled everything in detail even though she was blindfolded and only one person believed her account.

Aladdin? 

The Lighthouse 

Mad as a bag of badgers. Didn't really get it until the ending, but I really enjoyed this. Every shot felt like it was a storyboard picture in charcoal. The use of a tighter aspect ratio could've been gimmicky, however it was absolutely necessary to achieve the framing for those key shots. Not sure I needed to see the new Batman wanking in a shed though. Good use of farting too.

8/10

• Upvote 3

Belfast

Been wanting to watch this film about a young kid growing up during The Troubles. Got to say though, what an odd film.

First things first, Belfast looks incredible. Shot in 8k and black and white, I watched on my 4k telly and the look of the film was striking throughout.

Van Morrison does the soundtrack but in the context of this film it didn't sit at all well imo.

Is Kenneth Branagh from Northern Ireland or something? He produces and directs and mostly misses the mark. A strange choice to realise this film, especially if he has no first hand knowledge.

The acting, again, very very hit and miss. The young lad, the dad, most of the supporting cast, and Judy fucking Dench are mostly appalling. As unconvincing and alien as Dench's laughable accent.

Cairan Hinds is excellent though and even some of the poor performers (the mammy and Dench), even they have some good scenes.

My biggest gripe though is apparent right from the start; when was La La Land ever based in 70s Belfast?

Inappropriate and extremely confused and contrived sweeping sequences of happy bustling streets and choreography just totally undermines the entire film, from the very start.

Extremely disjointed, tbh Belfast came across as a Branagh vanity project, although the end was stronger than the start.

Extremely curious to see what you guys think if it.

5.5/10 Kodi Seren Real Debrid

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Belfast

Been wanting to watch this film about a young kid growing up during The Troubles. Got to say though, what an odd film.

First things first, Belfast looks incredible. Shot in 8k and black and white, I watched on my 4k telly and the look of the film was striking throughout.

Van Morrison does the soundtrack but in the context of this film it didn't sit at all well imo.

Is Kenneth Branagh from Northern Ireland or something? He produces and directs and mostly misses the mark. A strange choice to realise this film, especially if he has no first hand knowledge.

The acting, again, very very hit and miss. The young lad, the dad, most of the supporting cast, and Judy fucking Dench are mostly appalling. As unconvincing and alien as Dench's laughable accent.

Cairan Hinds is excellent though and even some of the poor performers (the mammy and Dench), even they have some good scenes.

My biggest gripe though is apparent right from the start; when was La La Land ever based in 70s Belfast?

Inappropriate and extremely confused and contrived sweeping sequences of happy bustling streets and choreography just totally undermines the entire film, from the very start.

Extremely disjointed, tbh Belfast came across as a Branagh vanity project, although the end was stronger than the start.

Yes. Branagh was born in Belfast,difficult though it is to believe.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Belfast

I've watched it and would give it a slightly higher rating but only an extra point. It was very meandering and style over substance. The characters nor the story were captivating enough to carry the film but I didn't hate it, it was just 'meh'.

• Upvote 1

Joker

It obviously works better as an origin story than as a drama in its own right. The tension is well wrung out of his mental collapse given it's an inevitability he'll go fruitloop though. After a lot of the press I was expecting something more shocking; the only moment I really thought "I can't believe they did that" was when a Gary Glitter tune came on. Still, I like the darker DC stuff, and the more realistic human angle was novel.

7/10

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Belfast

Usually when you say somethings shit it's ace and when you say something good it's fucking woeful so a 5.5 has ma...... mal....c fun t... ion 

I saw Belfast at the pictures on Sunday. I agree a 5 is probably about right. It’s trying to do The Hope and Glory thing of showing a conflict from a child’s perspective but from memory I recall enjoying that film a lot more than this. Some of it does seem a bit twee and the soundtrack doesn’t really do it any favours. If you’re  expecting a gritty drama about the troubles then this isn’t it. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Belfast

It just doesn't quite work, does it?

No real exposition of character which renders these complex characters, with complex lives, almost 2D.

I know it's from a childs perspective, but there is something quite naive about, which I think they were going for but misjudged.

Not bad, but not great though I think the potential was there for it to be something much better.

Meandering is the right word.

• Upvote 1

The Lost Daughter.

Olivia Colman plays a lonely woman jarred into regret over her relationship with her daughters.

As ever, Colman is fantastic; subtle and believable and director Maggie Gyllengall does an admirable job of gently weaving together the strands of this delicate tapestry.

Intriguing and enjoyable.

7/10 Kodi Seren Real Debrid

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Munich - The Edge Of War

Jeremy Irons plays Neville Chamberlain. Decent enough political drama on Netflix about Hitler saying he won't go to war and Chamberlain believing him. Worth a watch. 6.5/10. 

Forgot to mention a lot of this is filmed in Liverpool City Centre (Exchange Flags way)