You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

I’m a semi-arthouse goon who, for example, fucking loved the way Twin Peaks season 3 utterly fucked with expectations of fan service, but that needn’t always be the case. I’ve seen Ghostbusters: Afterlife three times now and loved every viewing. I refute the idea that it’s cynical; it’s obviously made with love and while I get that it’s not for everyone, it ticked the right boxes for me.

Still, I don’t think the third viewing of a film is really in the spirit of the thread, so the last film I saw for the first time was Titane and it was grotesquely brilliant. 

Nomadland.

I very much enjoyed this. It’s been a while since a film touched me on as many levels as this one did. 

For me it’s about; grief, hope, possibility, nonconformity, kindness, community and perseverance. Others will take different things from it, I’m sure. 

Beautifully made with some breathtaking scenery. Frances Mcdormand is her usual brilliant self, but the stories from real Nomads that are woven into the film are the icing on the cake. One in particular made me weep.

Probably won’t be for everyone but for me…

9/10.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Nomadland.

I very much enjoyed this. It’s been a while since a film touched me on as many levels as this one did. 

For me it’s about; grief, hope, possibility, nonconformity, kindness, community and perseverance. Others will take different things from it, I’m sure. 

Beautifully made with some breathtaking scenery. Frances Mcdormand is her usual brilliant self, but the stories from real Nomads that are woven into the film are the icing on the cake. One in particular made me weep.

Probably won’t be for everyone but for me…

9/10.

Loved Nomadland, I completely agree with your review.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I’m a semi-arthouse goon who, for example, fucking loved the way Twin Peaks season 3 utterly fucked with expectations of fan service, but that needn’t always be the case. I’ve seen Ghostbusters: Afterlife three times now and loved every viewing. I refute the idea that it’s cynical; it’s obviously made with love and while I get that it’s not for everyone, it ticked the right boxes for me.

Still, I don’t think the third viewing of a film is really in the spirit of the thread, so the last film I saw for the first time was Titane and it was grotesquely brilliant. 

Titane has been on my watch list, will get around to it soon hopefully.

Don't look up (Netflix)

Fun idea about the reaction of the world to an extinction level asteroid being on the way. Great cast with LdC and J-Law amongst others. Very anti trump, anti right wing satire in it as well which is a bit in your face at times, but overall good. 3.5 Paulies out of 5. 

Encanto (Disney plus)

Great songs, good story, very funny. Typical last-ten-years Disney. Worth a watch.  3.5 Paulies. 

Ron's gone wrong. (Disney plus)

Best kids film I've seen since coco. Laugh at loud funny, very topical about kids use of technology and the difference between friends and online friendships. 4 Paulies. 

• Like 1

Drag Me to Hell 3/4

Exceptionally silly but effective horror movie written and directed by Sam Raimi. A mortgage lender is cursed by an old gypsy woman and spends the rest of the film being plagued by a demon. Doesn't break any new ground and you'll see the ending coming from a mile off, but it is well done and has a fair few laughs too.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople 3/4

Offbeat comedy from Taika Waititi. Sam Neill and his foster son get stuck in the New Zealand bush and go on the run when social services try to take the boy back. It's all pretty far-fetched, but well worth watching for the charming performances of the two leads.

The Dry 3/4

Decent little Australian mystery drama of the kind which the Aussies seem to do quite well (Picnic at Hanging Rock and Lantana spring to mind). Eric Bana is a big city cop who goes back to the small town he grew up in for the funeral of a schoolfriend who has apparently killed his family. Well acted throughout and you get a real sense of what life is like in this harsh landscape.

• Upvote 1

Pig 4/4

Nicolas Cage is a reclusive truffle-hunter who sets out to recover his beloved pig when it is stolen from him in the night. It sounds like the setup for a John Wick style revenge thriller (and Cage is an actor of such range that he could certainly carry that kind of film) but it couldn't be further from that. This is a surprising and genuinely moving film with a marvellous central performance by Cage, who can convey feelings of loss and isolation as well as anyone. Hard to believe this is director Michael Sarnoski's first film. Recommended.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fear street 1994. Decent horror slasher video nasty. Cross between nightmare on Elm street and scream. I think there's a trilogy going back to 1978 and 1666.

7/10

14 hours ago, Fighting Antisemitism Everywhere said:

Pig 4/4

Nicolas Cage is a reclusive truffle-hunter who sets out to recover his beloved pig when it is stolen from him in the night. It sounds like the setup for a John Wick style revenge thriller (and Cage is an actor of such range that he could certainly carry that kind of film) but it couldn't be further from that. This is a surprising and genuinely moving film with a marvellous central performance by Cage, who can convey feelings of loss and isolation as well as anyone. Hard to believe this is director Michael Sarnoski's first film. Recommended.

This premiered on sky the other day and I recorded it. Might watch it tonight after reading that. He can be a twat of an actor to watch but he's done some cracking films as well. 

On 16/01/2022 at 03:21, Fighting Antisemitism Everywhere said:

Drag Me to Hell 3/4

Exceptionally silly but effective horror movie written and directed by Sam Raimi. A mortgage lender is cursed by an old gypsy woman and spends the rest of the film being plagued by a demon. Doesn't break any new ground and you'll see the ending coming from a mile off, but it is well done and has a fair few laughs too.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople 3/4

Offbeat comedy from Taika Waititi. Sam Neill and his foster son get stuck in the New Zealand bush and go on the run when social services try to take the boy back. It's all pretty far-fetched, but well worth watching for the charming performances of the two leads.

The Dry 3/4

Decent little Australian mystery drama of the kind which the Aussies seem to do quite well (Picnic at Hanging Rock and Lantana spring to mind). Eric Bana is a big city cop who goes back to the small town he grew up in for the funeral of a schoolfriend who has apparently killed his family. Well acted throughout and you get a real sense of what life is like in this harsh landscape.

Drag Me To Hell is a cracking little horror film.

Comic book pulpy nonsense but great fun.

The 355 - 1/10

Utter shite.

Scream 2022 - 7.5

Very much enjoyed this, it's much better than the other endless slasher reboots like Halloween, Friday the 13th, etc. Doesn't take itself too seriously and the murder mystery element was great, kept me guessing throughout and finished with a satisfying ending.

The Take 3/4

The English-language French action movie formerly known as Bastille Day, featuring a bunch of British actors pretending to be American. This got mixed reviews on release, but it's really quite good. Idris Elba is excellent value as an uncompromising CIA agent who has to team up with Richard Madden's pickpocket to foil major shenanigans in Paris. It is, of course, utterly preposterous, but proceedings whizz along nicely and it's directed with enough verve to gloss over any cracks in the plot. A very agreeable way to spend 90 minutes. And Idris even sings the theme tune. What a guy.

13 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Munich. I know it’s been out for years but never got round to watching it. Must be Spielberg’s most violent film after Schindler’s list. Very good but obviously very pro Israel so it won’t be to everyone’s taste. The lesson is don’t fuck with Mossad. 
8/10

Yea, great film.

16 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Munich. I know it’s been out for years but never got round to watching it. Must be Spielberg’s most violent film after Schindler’s list. Very good but obviously very pro Israel so it won’t be to everyone’s taste. The lesson is don’t fuck with Mossad. 
8/10

It’s a superb film. The scenes at the Olympic village and the mood Spielberg creates are unreal. The tits on the assassin they kill on the barge are up there with ET making the kids bmx’s fly and the Hudson Ferry scene in war if the worlds for jaw dropping Spielberg scenes for me. Such a fucking waste. 

On a serious note the scene with the girl playing piano and the phone bomb is unreal 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It’s a superb film. The scenes at the Olympic village and the mood Spielberg creates are unreal. The tits on the assassin they kill on the barge are up there with ET making the kids bmx’s fly and the Hudson Ferry scene in war if the worlds for jaw dropping Spielberg scenes for me. Such a fucking waste. 

On a serious note the scene with the girl playing piano and the phone bomb is unreal 

Marie-Josée Croze - Wikipedia

Marie-Josee Croze Breasts, Bush Scene in Munich - AZNude

• Upvote 2