You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 

I'm not overly keen on post Jackie Brown period Tarantino, but this was good. Still a bit self indulgent, but at least the movie and TV show vignettes that bloated the run time were entertaining. Di Caprio hams it up perfectly.

The whole buddy end of an era, man out of time theme was like Withnail and I thrown through the prism of Beyond the Valley of the Dolls at times. The growing dread of Tate's murder hangs over everything, so the final reel was both gruesome, and yet still a relief, and bizarrely comic. I went from holding my hands over my face to laughing out loud. Love or hate Tarantino, no one really directs violence like him.

8.5/10 (added an extra .5 because the dog survives)

10 hours ago, sir roger said:

It's run by the public via a trust , covid has probably reduced the amount of children available for bellows duty.

Funny as fuck fella. 

Doing a great job so I wanted to give them my money instead of a chain but turn the heating up a notch.

Anyway, spidey is a tart.

Werewolves Within -3/10. The pitch - let’s remake Knives Out with a C List cast and with a twist that the killer is a werewolf, and let’s try, and fail, to make it funny.

Milana Vayntrub is cute though. Proper girl-next-door material.

2e8

Cosmos.

Found this on Amazon, low budget, independent and the acting is not the best so this is not a film for the masses but I really enjoyed it.

Three astrologists drive out into the middle of nowhere  with a massive telescope and radio gear to sit off in a Volvo estate and scan the night sky looking and listening for things when they make an alarming discovery.

7/10.

8 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Cosmos.

Found this on Amazon, low budget, independent and the acting is not the best so this is not a film for the masses but I really enjoyed it.

Three astrologists drive out into the middle of nowhere  with a massive telescope and radio gear to sit off in a Volvo estate and scan the night sky looking and listening for things when they make an alarming discovery.

7/10.

They're all virgins?

I thought Don't Look Up was a great mixture of laugh out loud funny and absolute pathos. The acting was excellent as well, particularly Mark Rylance and Cate Blanchett. 8/10

Wrath of Man. Surprisingly non self indulgent Guy Ritchie revenge flick. Really enjoyed it and it is disturbing just how much Scott Eastwood resembles his old man. 7/10

On 04/01/2022 at 21:40, Anubis said:

Werewolves Within -3/10. The pitch - let’s remake Knives Out with a C List cast and with a twist that the killer is a werewolf, and let’s try, and fail, to make it funny.

Milana Vayntrub is cute though. Proper girl-next-door material.

2e8

If she lived next door to me I'd be in prison

Terminator 1. Still superb and the opening music is as good as any film ever. Only realised last night but Sarah Connors housemate has got amazing legs and her fella is Slider from Top Gun! 
Oh and the first Sarah Connor that gets shot when he knocks on her door is reported as being 35. She is easily 50 years old. Amazing on the projector. One of my all time favourite films along with number 2. 9/10. 

Under the Skin 4/4

Been meaning to watch this for a while and finally got around to it. Well. It's definitely not for everyone, but it is a remarkable piece of work. Scarlett Johansson is an alien driving around Glasgow picking up young men in a white van - men who, for the most part, aren't aware they're being filmed, which gives a bizarre kind of realism to the whole thing. Then the men are abducted where they are... consumed? Analysed? The film never explains exactly, although you know their fate is not a good one. The irony that the actress is best known for playing a character called Black Widow should not be lost on anyone.

I don't think it would work as well as it does with an unknown in the lead role. You'd imagine that surely you would recognise one of the most famous women in the world, even if she was at the wheel of a Transit and speaking with a phony accent? But there is at most a glimmer of recognition from the "victims". A Hollywood star driving around Glasgow in a van and asking passers-by which route she needs to take to drop off some furniture is about as alien as it gets, which must be intentional.

Eventually something happens, and the film raises interesting questions about what it means to be human. That Johansson is able to engender sympathy for and vulnerability in a character who is basically an otherworldly serial killer is testament to her skill as an actor.

While you could perhaps discern influences from earlier films, like The Man Who Fell to Earth, or even E.T., it feels fresh and original. It is utterly weird, and mostly in a good way. Definitely a film I would say I admired more than I enjoyed as a viewing experience, but it will certainly live long in the memory.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Under the Skin 4/4

Been meaning to watch this for a while and finally got around to it. Well. It's definitely not for everyone, but it is a remarkable piece of work. Scarlett Johansson is an alien driving around Glasgow picking up young men in a white van - men who, for the most part, aren't aware they're being filmed, which gives a bizarre kind of realism to the whole thing. Then the men are abducted where they are... consumed? Analysed? The film never explains exactly, although you know their fate is not a good one. The irony that the actress is best known for playing a character called Black Widow should not be lost on anyone.

I don't think it would work as well as it does with an unknown in the lead role. You'd imagine that surely you would recognise one of the most famous women in the world, even if she was at the wheel of a Transit and speaking with a phony accent? But there is at most a glimmer of recognition from the "victims". A Hollywood star driving around Glasgow in a van and asking passers-by which route she needs to take to drop off some furniture is about as alien as it gets, which must be intentional.

Eventually something happens, and the film raises interesting questions about what it means to be human. That Johansson is able to engender sympathy for and vulnerability in a character who is basically an otherworldly serial killer is testament to her skill as an actor.

While you could perhaps discern influences from earlier films, like The Man Who Fell to Earth, or even E.T., it feels fresh and original. It is utterly weird, and mostly in a good way. Definitely a film I would say I admired more than I enjoyed as a viewing experience, but it will certainly live long in the memory.

Sounds like one of them dreams you can't get out of your head all day 

5 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Under the Skin 4/4

You're deffo gay

3 minutes ago, Aventus said:

No offence like, I just don't understand how a straight man can watch that film and say they didn't enjoy the viewing experience, especially the viewing experience of a few scenes in particular. 

Or maybe I just found the nudity oddly unsexy? In my view she has been much hotter when fully clothed in a number of other films.

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Or maybe I just found the nudity oddly unsexy? In my view she has been much hotter when fully clothed in a number of other films.

Got to agree. I admire Johannson for starring in this but found it more unsettling than sexy. It is a brilliant film but not one I am rushing to watch again (the scene with the baby on the beach is just too much for me).

• Upvote 1

Just watched A Quiet Place 2. Not quite as pacy as the first film although filled in some of the blanks from the first. Emily Blunt's a bit predictable as the angst ma looking after her kids. Funny how all the doors, windows and rusty old lids in the film never make a sound yet when I open a door, it creaks like fuck! Where's that WD40 gone?!

Millicent Symmonds is the absolute star of the film in my view while Noah Jupe(?) slays his demons in the final scenes.

Will they make A Quiet Place 3? Who knows but they let it as a possibility. EDIT: seems they are talking about AQP3 but may be a completely different set of characters.

7.5 out of 10

I haven't seen any ratings on 'Love & Monsters' on here. I might be wrong though. I'm watching again tonight, first viewing was a comfortable 7/10. Funny disaster movie along the lines of Zombieland.