You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

26 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

And I'll call* you all on Joan severence in See No Evil, Hear No Evil.

*No idea if this is the right term as I haven't the first clue about cards.

Nor do I, so I'll say I don't have Mr Bun the baker as those are silicone enhanced top bollocks. The financial dopers of film fun bags.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Hand of God - 7.5/10

A lovely film based loosely around the time Diego arrive in Naples, it’s not about him, but he’s central to all the lives and events, cleverly done.

Well worth hunting down.

Also, has the best pair of bazangas you’ll see on screen for a while… 

I'm guessing it was during his later, chunkier period?

Ghostbusters Afterlife - Saw this last week but that I'm writing this now gives away how I felt about it. Clearly no one has a fucking clue what to do with the Ghostbusters series and so Sony have resorted to giving it the Force Awakens treatment. Watching this all I could think of was Jeff Goldblum asking for dinosaurs on the dinosaur tour in Jurassic Park; wouldn't have hurt to have some ghosts in this, and more jokes too.

It's tone is as far removed from the '84 original as you can get and the decision to use the same villain, and some shot for shot moments, from it just seemed really pointless; it also felt like it reduced the threat of said villain considerably. The signposts that this was the same plot were evident from the trailers so at least the lack of surprise wasn't a surprise so to speak.

The bits that did work were mostly with McKenna Grace although if you're going to criticise Rey in Star Wars then you have to criticise Phoebe here, but Grace was good with what she had to do. The last 30 minutes felt quite cynical in how it's machine-tooled to elicit an emotional response from the audience and I couldn't get on with that.

The post credits scenes hints at where sequels will go and, honestly, everyone should accept that Ghostbusters was lightening in a bottle and you won't ever hit those heights again. No more here because of spoilers but this wasn't bad but it's not great either. Ghostbusters 2 was a better rerun of the original. 6 out of 10

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

And I'll call* you all on Joan severence in See No Evil, Hear No Evil.

*No idea if this is the right term as I haven't the first clue about cards.

22 hours ago, Special K said:

I'll raise you Joan Severance in Lake Consequence

I know enough about cards to shout 'SNAP' now!

Venom 2, think there's some sort of carnage. -5/10 for wasting my electricity.

No spoilers on this as I lasted 20 minutes of this utter shite. Don't know why I bothered as Venom 1 wasn't much.

Tom Hardy doing what he does best these days, picking bad films and acting as bad.

Sorry Tom, but you have successfully lost any hope of playing Bond which at one point was quite high in my opinion.

Worst Marvel film ever.

38 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Venom 2, think there's some sort of carnage. -5/10 for wasting my electricity.

No spoilers on this as I lasted 20 minutes of this utter shite. Don't know why I bothered as Venom 1 wasn't much.

Tom Hardy doing what he does best these days, picking bad films and acting as bad.

Sorry Tom, but you have successfully lost any hope of playing Bond which at one point was quite high in my opinion.

Worst Marvel film ever.

Saw this too and agree it was tosh. It's just a collection of scenes with Tom and Woody chewing the scenery. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, skend04 said:

Saw this too and agree it was tosh. It's just a collection of scenes with Tom and Woody chewing the scenery. 

Exactly, and why the fuck would you cast Woody in a role that he's clearly too old for. Loads of cgi and Wig enhancement.

Thank fuck I didn't pay to see it.

Venom: Let There Be Carnage - A strange one. It's better than the first one, which I didn't like at all, but it's very hyperactive, unfocussed, seems to be more of a comedy than an action film and for most of the film there's no Venom/Eddie fights at all as they're separated until the final 30 minutes. It's really over the top and races through plot for its 90 minute runtime, like a teenager wrote the script and wanted lots of set piece comic moments but couldn't be arsed to string a coherent story around it. I'm guessing the lighter tone was because it's hard to do a story about a serial killer without it becoming too dark and the many jokes seeming out of place. 5.5 out of 10

1 hour ago, RedKnight said:

Venom: Let There Be Carnage - A strange one. It's better than the first one, which I didn't like at all, but it's very hyperactive, unfocussed, seems to be more of a comedy than an action film and for most of the film there's no Venom/Eddie fights at all as they're separated until the final 30 minutes. It's really over the top and races through plot for its 90 minute runtime, like a teenager wrote the script and wanted lots of set piece comic moments but couldn't be arsed to string a coherent story around it. I'm guessing the lighter tone was because it's hard to do a story about a serial killer without it becoming too dark and the many jokes seeming out of place. 5.5 out of 10

Did you have popcorn and that swayed your score? 90 minute run time, so I only missed 70 minutes, wished it had been more.

The Eternals - 5/10. Not feeling that at all, Marvel. Just found the whole thing strangely distant and lacked excitement.

Venom: Let There Be Carnage - 5.5/10. Agree with RedKnight’s assessment. Kind of felt like Iron Man 2 where the villain was similar to the first, with the exception Harrelson is a better actor. Given the mid-credit sequence (no spoilers here), perhaps the future films will be a bit better.