You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

3 hours ago, Duff Man said:

The Night House - newly widowed woman learns some disturbing things about her former husband. Solid mystery/thriller. 8/10

Old Henry - good western with a satisfying surprise toward the end. Tim Blake Nelson is brilliant in it, as is the Dorff, whose late career resurgence I'm very much enjoying. 9/10

Dune - standard Villeneuve fare, although not up there with his best, imo. I know nothing of the book, but got the impression a lot was left out here, with the plotting feeling a bit rushed. Maybe the source material would lend itself better to TV format? Defo worth a watch, tho. 8.5/10

That new Halloween film - pure shite. A big fat 0 out of 10.

Looking forward to Old Henry now.

That Halloween film is ridiculous isn't it? Like really, really bad in every possible way.

Gunpowder Milkshake - 1/10. Sky original. Let’s make an ‘action’ film about women assassins killing lots of men. Let’s give it a 1930s noir look. Actually, let’s abandon that a third of the way through and alternate between a current day look and 60s chic because our designe team can’t settle on a uniform look. Let’s make the fight sequences poor. Let’s film most of it on sets and not actual locations as a stylistic choice. Let’s make every character quirky because we think it means they’re humorous, but really they’re just fucking annoying. Let’s realise we’ve wasted some serious acting talent on this shit script. Let’s keep the release low profile because it’s really, really shit.

Had to go see the new animated Addams family today 

Just your standard, bland, shite kids film that's been churned out for the Halloween season. Completely unremarkable. 

2/10. Extra point because Ace of Spades is on the soundtrack 

19 hours ago, M_B said:

Dune - 8/10

Thought it was excellent, but I suspect it will be like marmite. It won't be for everyone.

Not hit amazing numbers at the box office so far, still not convinced we'll see a part 2 despite what WB execs say (though as long as it doesn't lose money there's still hope) 

40 mill in the US, though 200 mill world wide is better.

Dune - Everything you'd expect from Denis Villeneuve especially if you've seen Blade Runner 2049. Lots of long, stunning shots and loud music and effects. Thoroughly enjoyed this, wasn't bored for any of the 2hr 30m runtime, and found that they'd untangled the story enough to keep you engaged. It's not perfect, it ends abruptly even though the title says 'Part One', and maybe some characters aren't given enough time but, for someone who isn't Timothee Chalamet's biggest fan, I thought he was a good lead whilst Rebecca Ferguson and Oscar Isaac are both terrific.

Saw it in IMAX and I'd recommend seeing it on the biggest screen possible. 8.5 out of 10

Couple of films recently appeared on Netflix (I should know better really)

Hypnosis. I watched this simply because Kate Siegel was in it and the premise was mildly interesting. A woman who has recently spilt from a relationship after a miscarriage and is spiralling with drinking, no job and trying to get her life back in order gets suggested sessions with a hypnotist by her successful friend. Bland, middle of the road thriller which doesn't really do anything. 5/10.

The Possession of Hannah Grace. A troubled ex-cop takes a night job in a city morgue (of course she does!), during her first week a body of a young girl is delivered and soon becomes clear something is not right. Very silly and predictable, not at all tense or scary, 4/10, don't bother, instead go watch the Autopsy of Jane Doe which is a so much better film with a similar premise.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Couple of films recently appeared on Netflix (I should know better really)

Hypnosis. I watched this simply because Kate Siegel was in it and the premise was mildly interesting. A woman who has recently spilt from a relationship after a miscarriage and is spiralling with drinking, no job and trying to get her life back in order gets suggested sessions with a hypnotist by her successful friend. Bland, middle of the road thriller which doesn't really do anything. 5/10.

Needed cheering up eh !