You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

On 05/09/2021 at 10:57, Mook said:

Watched The Maradonna documentary last night, it could've done with an extra hour & the end was heartbreaking. People talk about George Best but this guy really threw it all away (after conquering the World to be fair)...

9/10

Yeah. Watched this a few days back and I agree. This lad won Napoli a second league title,to go with their first one and a UEFA Cup a few years earlier,while addicted to cocaine and not being arsed half of the time. An absolute football genius. In retrospect,if he'd have been allowed to leave when he asked,I think it was after their UEFA Cup win? things may have been very different and he might still be with us.

59 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yeah. Watched this a few days back and I agree. This lad won Napoli a second league title,to go with their first one and a UEFA Cup a few years earlier,while addicted to cocaine and not being arsed half of the time. An absolute football genius. In retrospect,if he'd have been allowed to leave when he asked,I think it was after their UEFA Cup win? things may have been very different and he might still be with us.

One of the best documentaries I've seen.

Superb

On 11/09/2021 at 21:53, SasaS said:

Nomadland is pretty good.

Interestingly, it has a lower rating on IMDB (scandalous 7.3) than Promising Young Woman (7.5) which I had to bin after half an hour total crappiness. I don't really understand this world anymore.

I watched both to the end and preferred Promising Young Woman myself. 

Both are well worth watching like. 

1917 - great video game 6/10.

TLDR part:

The story famously makes little sense, and people with more than a basic knowledge of the WWI will be gasping in disbelief at the silliness on the screen, but it is a fast paced first person shooter in the first half so you tend not to think so much about mistakes and plotholes and anyway, this is how we do period pieces now, no one seems to care anymore.

Second half, suddenly the night falls and all the cliches in the world start cropping up like vampires, there is (of course) some saintly young French or Belgian women with someone's hungry baby in her hands (I was fully expecting some hot lovemaking by the fire), there is escaping by jumping in the river for some white water rafting in the middle of Belgian plains (there are even rocky shores and a big waterfall, why not), British soldiers listening to a mournful song (like soldiers do at the end of the Paths Of Glory, except that in Kubrick's film the scene serves as a brilliantly understated cathartic moment for the main character and here has no obvious meaning) and the song is for some unexplained reason The Wayfaring Stranger, an American folk song, again, why not. Then there is the obligatory scene of wounded in the field hospital, which is of course fully operational barely five minutes after the attack has been called off. And about a hundred more things.

Camera work is great, explosions realistic, acting and productions values superb.  Shame the screenplay was written buy a computer game developer.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I.d

Surely the phrase "that shit,its actually good'was coined for this film.

How it wasnt nominated for an oscar back in 1995 is a modern day travesty.

Brilliant.

I fackin lav you gumbo.

Hahahaha yeah properly shit but superb at the same time. Tense moments in the pub. 

• Upvote 1

Help

Channel 4 film about the spread of covid within care homes.

Starring Jodie Comer and Stephen Graham, the cast, acting, script and direction is incredible.

Absolutely harrowing and incredibly powerful filmmaking. Should be mandatory viewing for anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers everywhere.

10/10 All 4 app

2 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Help

Channel 4 film about the spread of covid within care homes.

Starring Jodie Comer and Stephen Graham, the cast, acting, script and direction is incredible.

Absolutely harrowing and incredibly powerful filmmaking. Should be mandatory viewing for anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers everywhere.

10/10 All 4 app

Can't wait to watch it. I assume Strontz will sit there with a snarl on telling the telly it's wrong and firebombing the house etc? 

Kate. 5/10. Netflix film. Sorry, watched this last Saturday but couldn't be arsed rating it at that point. a mixture of DOA and any one of the Nikita variants you care to choose. Set in Tokyo, wholly unoriginal, and notable for only two things - the worst CGI car chase ever (and I include anything north of Fast Five in that regard), and some decent hand to hand combat sequences. Not really one to bother with.

On 16/09/2021 at 16:17, Arniepie said:

I.d

Surely the phrase "that shit,its actually good'was coined for this film.

How it wasnt nominated for an oscar back in 1995 is a modern day travesty.

Brilliant.

I fackin lav you gumbo.

ID was nominated for an Oscar? Seriously?

I’m guessing this wasn’t…

2A7D6F27-ADC5-469A-A508-86CAFC7AE5E3.png

Ooo,

Ooo,

Shadwell Army. 

I've been listening to The Rewatchables podcast a lot, and yesterday listened to the Goodfellas one, brilliant, so last night I put the movie on and watched it again.  Brilliant.  

One thing bugs me still... In the film Jimmy (De Niro) meets Henry Hill (Ray Liotta) when Henry is a teenager, and Jimmy is supposed to be a 20 something.  Jimmy then introduced Henry to Tommy (Pesci) who is supposed to be a similar age, two young men starting to do bits for him. 

But when we move to present day in the film, Liotta looks like he's early 30's, Pesci looks like he's late forties, and De Niro looks the same as he did before.  

In real life Pesci and De Niro are the same fucking age.  

Nit-picky I know, but cmon...

• Upvote 1