You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

The Show - 2/10. A Brit film penned by Alan Moore (who also has a part in it), which was the only reason I watched it. A curious attempt to blend noir with small town magic set in his home town of Northampton. It fails miserably, and appears to want to be a British Twin Peaks but comes across more Royston Vasey with its cast of eccentric characters. With the exception that The League Of Gentlemen was actually funny and entertaining. This isn’t.

Not a WTF disaster along the lines of Nest Of Vampires, as it actually has some actors in it, but not good.

Shang-Chi & The Legend Of The Ten Rings - 7.5/10. Great martial arts, loads of new characters and lots of tantalising clues for where the MCU goes next. 

A Quiet Place Part II - 8/10. Taut, tense, pacy film making. It includes one of the best extended sequences of cross cutting I’ve seen, too. A cracking film. 

• Upvote 1

Tenet

Sort of get the impression that Nolan just came up with this film so he could pull out a load of cool visuals. And a lot of it is amazing to look at.

John David Washington is ace (albeit disturbingly old for being Denzel’s kid) and even Robert Pattinson is good. For a lot of it the story doesn’t even seem to matter that it rarely hangs together because it’s an engaging watch anyway but it is really just some cool scenes with very little explanation of how they make up the whole.

Didn’t quite land this one.

6/10

• Upvote 1

Watched The Maradonna documentary last night, it could've done with an extra hour & the end was heartbreaking. People talk about George Best but this guy really threw it all away (after conquering the World to be fair)...

9/10

• Upvote 2

Rise of the Footsoldier: Origins - 7.5/10

Bad acting, even worse haircuts but it's wonderfully entertaining. It's like a homage to mockney gangster films with every sentence starting with "fuck" and ending with "cunt". You can't go wrong with Vinnie Jones and Craig Fairbrass knocking the fuck out of everyone. The soundtrack is outstanding as well. Loved it.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Elite said:

Rise of the Footsoldier: Origins - 7.5/10

Bad acting, even worse haircuts but it's wonderfully entertaining. It's like a homage to mockney gangster films with every sentence starting with "fuck" and ending with "cunt". You can't go wrong with Vinnie Jones and Craig Fairbrass knocking the fuck out of everyone. The soundtrack is outstanding as well. Loved it.

Christ! Are those films still going? What number is that one?

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

The Grand Budapest Hotel - 8/10

Probably the most I've ever enjoyed a Wes Anderson film. A proper farce with a soul. Honestly think Ralph Fiennes has a decent claim to being Britain's greatest screen actor; how can the man who portrayed Amon Goeth hit a comedy mark so well?

Him talking about establishing himself in prison is absolutely brilliant.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

The Grand Budapest Hotel - 8/10

Probably the most I've ever enjoyed a Wes Anderson film. A proper farce with a soul. Honestly think Ralph Fiennes has a decent claim to being Britain's greatest screen actor; how can the man who portrayed Amon Goeth hit a comedy mark so well?

Behave. It's Craig Fairbrass.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

Watched “Come and See “ for the second time whilst doing the ironing. Must be the most harrowing war film of all time, makes any western WW2 film look like they made by Disney. Will have those images in my head all weekend now. Highly recommended but beware it’s as bleak as fuck and based on true events. 

Amazing film only seen it via YouTube is it available anywhere else?

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

Watched “Come and See “ for the second time whilst doing the ironing. Must be the most harrowing war film of all time, makes any western WW2 film look like they made by Disney. Will have those images in my head all weekend now. Highly recommended but beware it’s as bleak as fuck and based on true events. 

I've mentioned this a few times as I have it right up there in terms of the best WW2 films ever made. Superb but very uncomfortable film making.

• Upvote 1