You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Boss Level - 7/10.

Different slant on the Groundhog Day formula but really good fun action movie with an element of mystery. Frank Grillo must be the most in shape 55 year old on the planet, though I imagine he's taking more steroids the Mr. Universe circuit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Annette - Film, songs, Adam Driver *Zones out*

Awful.

The cinematic manifestation of portentous.

I have absolutely no ambition to even bother with a review, I want the 15 minutes I spent watching this, and the other two hours and five I spent cursing under my breath at how shite it is, back.

3 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Annette - Film, songs, Adam Driver *Zones out*

Awful.

The cinematic manifestation of portentous.

I have absolutely no ambition to even bother with a review, I want the 15 minutes I spent watching this, and the other two hours and five I spent cursing under my breath at how shite it is, back.

Really?  That's disappointing.  When I read that the story and songs were by the brothers from Sparks and that Driver sings a song into Marion Cotillard's vagina, I thought it had promise to be some amusingly fun nonsense.

Hero

Jet Li sword fighting thing from back in the post-Crouching Tiger days.  Zhang Ziyi is in this too, but she's a bit annoying.  It's very stylised - basically every scene is in a different colour - and at the start I thought it was stupid.  Liked it a fair bit more as it went on.  Not a patch on Crouching Tiger though and probably some dodgy political messaging too.

7/10

Now You See Me

Ridiculous magicians as bank robbers thing from a few years ago.  Story makes no sense, plot holes everywhere and very little character development.  Still it's got a really good cast for such tosh and quite watchable.

5/10

Finding Ohana

Two Hawaiian kids from New York move back to Hawaii to look after their grandad, go on a treasure hunt for some pirate gold, and learn about Hawaiian culture.  Some reasonably funny sibling bickering, not bad for watching with the kids.

6/10

10 hours ago, Elite said:

Wrath of Man - 7/10

Solid heist movie told from a different angle. Guy Ritchie has found some form of late with this and The Gentlemen.

Where did you watch this? I’ve never heard of it and have just found a trailer that looks superb. Has it had a cinema release here? Rental?

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Where did you watch this? I’ve never heard of it and have just found a trailer that looks superb. Has it had a cinema release here? Rental?

I watched it on Kodi.

I think it had a cinema release but just as things were reopening, so probably passed a lot of people by but well worth a watch.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Really?  That's disappointing.  When I read that the story and songs were by the brothers from Sparks and that Driver sings a song into Marion Cotillard's vagina, I thought it had promise to be some amusingly fun nonsense.

I’ve been trying to think it through and try and figure out why I hated it so much, was I tired, was I in a bad mood and just not of a mindset for it, but nothing.

Its just bad, too in to itself, thinks it’s clever, thinks it’s highbrow, thinks it’s ‘essential’ and all the other gumph that goes along with that.

Its none of these things it’s just objectively bad on so many levels and so convinced of it’s own greatness it forgets to be enjoyable at all.

The cunnilingus scene is the culmination of a load of smug nonsense with the worst backing song imaginable.

It apparently got an eight minute standing ovation at Cannes and I’m convinced they actually stayed behind to shout out towards the screen and gesticulate in a manner which could be misconstrued as applause.

Even the Mrs hated it and she’s the target market for this superficial crap.

On 22/08/2021 at 20:36, Elite said:

Wrath of Man - 7/10

Solid heist movie told from a different angle. Guy Ritchie has found some form of late with this and The Gentlemen.

Probably a 6/10 for me. Too much of a Jason Statham film rather than a Guy Ritchie film. It was watchable but verging on the absolutely ridiculous.

Pig - 8/10. A strange but also mesmerising little drama about grief. Nic Cage is amazing in it; absolutely magnetic to watch. In fact I think this is comparable with his performance in Leaving Las Vegas. Recommended. 

6 minutes ago, Paul said:

Pig - 8/10. A strange but also mesmerising little drama about grief. Nic Cage is amazing in it; absolutely magnetic to watch. In fact I think this is comparable with his performance in Leaving Las Vegas. Recommended. 

Looking forward to watching this. I've only heard good stuff. 

They Live, how the fuck had I not heard of this film? Rowdy Roddy Piper finds a pair of sunglasses that reveals interdimensional beings walk among us and hold the puppet strings of bankers, the police, the media and politicians, while bilboards, magazines and TV broadcasts hide subliminal messages such as 'obey' and 'stay asleep'. 

A fucked up, fun version of the Matrix before the Matrix was a thing. Funny as fuck and doesn't take itself seriously at all. 

Roddy Piper walking into a bank and shouting 'I came here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out oh bubble gum' then shooting everyone. I'd buy that for a dollar.

9/10

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

They Live, how the fuck had I not heard of this film? Rowdy Roddy Piper finds a pair of sunglasses that reveals interdimensional beings walk among us and hold the puppet strings of bankers, the police, the media and politicians, while bilboards, magazines and TV broadcasts hide subliminal messages such as 'obey' and 'stay asleep'. 

A fucked up, fun version of the Matrix before the Matrix was a thing. Funny as fuck and doesn't take itself seriously at all. 

Roddy Piper walking into a bank and shouting 'I came here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out oh bubble gum' then shooting everyone. I'd buy that for a dollar.

9/10

It's a great film, not seen it in years though.

I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore- 8/10. I really enjoyed this black comedy- funny, quirky and some absurdly over the top action too as a well-meaning nursing assistant tries to get her stolen property back and gets mixed up with some real lowlife. There's also a wonderful bit where the lead is stoned on painkillers and ends up in a church with 'Bring on the Dancing Horses' playing- not sure why (possibly my raging hangover at the time), but it really hit me, it's such a sweet, almost hallucinatory scene. Sadly, I can't find a clip of it aside from some dick filming the telly on his mobile phone, but here's a trailer-

Free Guy - 7.8/10

Pleasantly surprised how good this movie was. The basic premise is an NPC in a video game becoming sentient. It's clever, funny and thought-provoking. Probably helps if you are a fan of video games to understand it properly but I'm sure we all have been at some point.

Stillwater - 6/10

Difficult one to score this as I did like it but it was over-long and didn't really go anywhere at times. I think it's one of those movies that tries to incorporate multiple genres and ends up in the middle of not being one thing nor the other.

Looper

finally got round to watching this last night as it’s one of those films I’ve always wanted to see, but then spent the next 20 minutes looking for something else.

Anyway, boss little movie but I kept thinking they’d brought another actor in for Joseph Gordon Levitt as he didn’t look the same person as the movie progressed.

Turns out they put prosthetics on his face so he looked like a young Bruce Willis. Now I remember Bruce from back in his moonlighting days and he sure as shit didn’t look anything like this. 

Still trying to work out how Bruce comes back twice after already escaping once.

7/10

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Red74 said:

Looper

finally got round to watching this last night as it’s one of those films I’ve always wanted to see, but then spent the next 20 minutes looking for something else.

Anyway, boss little movie but I kept thinking they’d brought another actor in for Joseph Gordon Levitt as he didn’t look the same person as the movie progressed.

Turns out they put prosthetics on his face so he looked like a young Bruce Willis. Now I remember Bruce from back in his moonlighting days and he sure as shit didn’t look anything like this. 

Still trying to work out how Bruce comes back twice after already escaping once.

7/10

All this and not once do you mention Emily Blunts 'come to bed and I need treating badly' looks?

Are you a gay hermaphrodite?