You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Beckett - 8/10. This starts off weird and shit and slow and then becomes really good. It stars my boy JDW as a tourist in Greece whose girlfriend is killed in a car accident and then everyone tries to kill him. It feels very much like a gritty 1970s conspiracy thriller and is well worth watching. 

I'm holed up isolating in a room for the past week so watching Room tonight probably wasn't the best idea. A fucking horrifically brilliant premise. 

The kid was superb and Brie Larson thoroughly deserved her Oscar.

I'll have nightmares I'd say and it might take me as long as her to recover mentally from my week of watching sport, netflix, getting food dropped at the door and not having to work or talk to people. 

• Upvote 1

Beckett - 2/10

Ridiculous and boring. I had no idea what was going on, even when the plot was explained by the 'obvious bad guy' character.

Washington played a mixture of everyman, Terminator and Batman,  getting shot and stabbed at every turn but brushing it off like it's nothing before jumping 4 stories off a car park onto a moving car.

Just stupid

Hunter Killer

Gerard Butler takes over a U.S. submarine to find a missing US sub but miraculously finds & rescues high ranking survivors in a sunken Russian sub instead. 

At the same time, a Navy SEAL team is sent in to discreetly observe a Russian naval base. When they arrive at the naval base, they witness defense minister Dmitri Durov conducting a coup d'etat and taking the Russian president hostage.

The 4 man seal team get new orders to rescue the prez while the rescued Russian sub captain agrees to go against the motherland to help Gerard and the boys sail into hostile territory and rescue the boys. 

As recent history shows, team America always succeed and leave no man behind.

9/11 times 2,256

21 hours ago, Red74 said:

Hunter Killer

Gerard Butler takes over a U.S. submarine to find a missing US sub but miraculously finds & rescues high ranking survivors in a sunken Russian sub instead. 

At the same time, a Navy SEAL team is sent in to discreetly observe a Russian naval base. When they arrive at the naval base, they witness defense minister Dmitri Durov conducting a coup d'etat and taking the Russian president hostage.

The 4 man seal team get new orders to rescue the prez while the rescued Russian sub captain agrees to go against the motherland to help Gerard and the boys sail into hostile territory and rescue the boys. 

As recent history shows, team America always succeed and leave no man behind.

9/11 times 2,256

Sounds tame compared to saving the US President three times, single handedly taking back the White House from a North Korean invasion force, single handedly saving London from a terrorist’s mercenary force, and single handedly saving the USA from a coup d’etat.

20 hours ago, Anubis said:

Sounds tame compared to saving the US President three times, single handedly taking back the White House from a North Korean invasion force, single handedly saving London from a terrorist’s mercenary force, and single handedly saving the USA from a coup d’etat.

I can't stand that neorealist shite, lends too much from the ultra realism of Fellini and his ilk and loses what is great about cinema, escapism.

Butler should make sure he isn't tarred with that brush.

“The Dig”  (Netflix). 10/10

This film left a deep impression on me. Ralph Fiennes plays Basil Brown, the ‘excavator’ (his own words) who unearths a monumental find, in the Summer of 1939 on the eve of War.

I can’t recommend this film enough. It’s meticulously done, and Fiennes’ character portrayal exemplifies his abilities as one of the worlds great Actors. Fine support cast.

4 hours ago, Red Shift said:

“The Dig”  (Netflix). 10/10

This film left a deep impression on me. Ralph Fiennes plays Basil Brown, the ‘excavator’ (his own words) who unearths a monumental find, in the Summer of 1939 on the eve of War.

I can’t recommend this film enough. It’s meticulously done, and Fiennes’ character portrayal exemplifies his abilities as one of the worlds great Actors. Fine support cast.

Great fillum, that.

Old - 6/10. I like M. Night Shyamalan and the fact that he’s continued to plough his “tall tales” furrow despite the critical barbs, even if I don’t love all his films. However, he must be finding funding increasingly difficult judging by this as the cast is virtually a full set of unknowns and jobbing actors and it’s set in just a single location. Most of the twist was trailed in advance, which was a mistake as the bit they leave for the final reveal is pretty underwhelming. 

I wasn’t bored watching this, hence the 6/10, but it’s not great. 

True Grit (2010) 5/10

Another Coen Bros film that left me

underwhelmed. 

What is it that I’m missing with these as other than Lebowski, every films exactly the same. Big scenery and over long dialogue trying to make everyone seem cool. 

I don’t know if I’m imagining it, but has all there movies got a narrator dubbed over them?

Unhinged (2020)

Russell Crowe plays a seriously pissed off fella acting seriously pissed off. It's a 5/10 because it's worth a watch as a "fuck whats he gonna do now" film but you wouldn't watch it again. Caren Pistouroius is in it and she is marriage material

Caren-Pistorius.png

On 19/08/2021 at 16:56, Shooter in the Motor said:

Great fillum, that.

Here’s the real thing (warning to others, it’s a spoiler if you don’t know the true story of the film ‘The Dig’)

https://blog.britishmuseum.org/eighty-years-and-more-of-sutton-hoo/?_gl=1*1i47535*_ga*MTgwMjk4MTQwNi4xNjI5MTA2MDI4*_ga_08TLB9R8X1*MTYyOTE0MDMwOC4yLjEuMTYyOTE0MTgyOS4w

Snake Eyes: GI Joe Origins - 2/10.

Yes, I know I shouldn’t have done it, but thanks to me you won’t have to. It’s bad. Spectacularly bad. Our protagonist goes from moderately decent street fighter to über ninja in about a week, without any apparent training or even a montage. Throw in some giant anacondas that have wandered in from Kong: Skull Island and (I shit you not) a magic stone. Continuity packs it’s bags and goes on a lengthy vacation when an entire compound goes up in flames and all the ninjas fried, only to appear pristine and undamaged the next day, with some of the dead ninjas apparently resurrected. And then there are the inexplicable Japanese culture clips thrown in randomly for no apparent reason or purpose, and end credits designed to induce mass epilepsy. The 2 is for a couple of great locations, and the fact that everyone including the bad guys appear to be environmentally conscious enough to use electric vehicles. Swerve.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

Yes, I know I shouldn’t have done it, but thanks to me you won’t have to. It’s bad. Spectacularly bad. Our protagonist goes from moderately decent street fighter to über ninja in about a week, without any apparent training or even a montage. Throw in some giant anacondas that have wandered in from Kong: Skull Island and (I shit you not) a magic stone. Continuity packs it’s bags and goes on a lengthy vacation when an entire compound goes up in flames and all the ninjas fried, only to appear pristine and undamaged the next day, with some of the dead ninjas apparently resurrected. And then there are the inexplicable Japanese culture clips thrown in randomly for no apparent reason or purpose, and end credits designed to induce mass epilepsy. The 2 is for a couple of great locations, and the fact that everyone including the bad guys appear to be environmentally conscious enough to use electric vehicles. Swerve.

You enjoyed some snacks at least?

Demonic - 6.5/10. Demonic possession from a sci-fi angle as opposed to horror. An attempt to do something different with possession that is entertaining enough but doesn’t stand out from a crowded field. Which is a shame as there is a decent central concept there but Blomkamp doesn’t bring his A Game to proceedings.

18 hours ago, Anubis said:

Watched this myself last night and can’t disagree with any of it.

SPOILERS:

Thought it started alright until the fish market scene when a poor mans wolverine cage fighter wiped out 20 blade wielding yakuzas with ease.

Things got worse when seeing these super rich ninja family arriving in a convoy of Hyundai’s.

Then like everything in life, things went to shit when the birds turned up and the girl power cringe got ramped up a notch. 

The Baroness was a darling when I was growing up reading the comics yet this one looked like some ugly  bad crackhead who hasn’t washed her hair for months while Scarlett turned into an anorexic Pepper Mills and don’t get me started on Nanna Ninja.

Also, why does snake eyes start talking in an English accent at the end.

Shite. Avoid (although Storm Shadows security officers lovely and worth googling for her other movies) 

• Like 1