You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - It should have been really good, but i felt it lacked in something that i couldn't quite put my finger on. I now think that it was because it couldn't really decide on whether it was a drama or a comedy. No qualms with the direction by Ben Stiller, it looked fantastic, but his main character lacked a bit of soul and i do wonder whether he may have been better giving the role to someone else.  

I've never seen anyone suit a beard less than Adam Scott does in this film, either. I do love Kirsten Wiig though. A lot. 

6/10 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Total Longo said:

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - It should have been really good, but i felt it lacked in something that i couldn't quite put my finger on. I now think that it was because it couldn't really decide on whether it was a drama or a comedy. No qualms with the direction by Ben Stiller, it looked fantastic, but his main character lacked a bit of soul and i do wonder whether he may have been better giving the role to someone else.  

I've never seen anyone suit a beard less than Adam Scott does in this film, either. I do love Kirsten Wiig though. A lot. 

6/10 

Not a Stiller fan but watched this on a plane and quite enjoyed it.

Finding The Way Back - 7.5/10. Nothing especially original (bereavement, alcoholism, redemption through sport/service) but Ben Affleck is great in this as a high school basketball coach. He’s very underrated as an actor in my view. 

21 minutes ago, Paul said:

Finding The Way Back - 7.5/10. Nothing especially original (bereavement, alcoholism, redemption through sport/service) but Ben Affleck is great in this as a high school basketball coach. He’s very underrated as an actor in my view. 

Try telling his bank account that.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I have tried to watch this,around the first 45 minutes,and it bored me stupid.

Watched Vice last night. A biopic about Dick Cheney, starring Christian Bale. 

It’s by the same guy that made The Big Short and it’s done in a similar way.

It’s a good watch, Christian Bale is excellent as always. Probably not quite as good as The Big Short though 

A generous 8/10.

2 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

Watched Vice last night. A biopic about Dick Cheney, starring Christian Bale. 

It’s by the same guy that made The Big Short and it’s done in a similar way.

It’s a good watch, Christian Bale is excellent as always. Probably not quite as good as The Big Short though 

A generous 8/10.

It's a good film that one.

• Upvote 1

Willy’s Wonderland.  1 to 8/10.

Ok, I’ll explain. If you’re watching this as a comedy horror film then it’s anywhere between 1 to 5/10 based on how sober you are and whether your with a group of mates taking the piss. 

But if that’s not why you’re here, and like me you’re here to see Nicholas Cage play the role he was born to play (I’m not going to spoil the ‘why’ for you) and watch him beating the shit out of possessed giant children’s animatronics with mops, sticks, and anything else he can get his hands on, then that aspect, and that aspect alone, is an amusing 8/10. Otherwise , it’s entirely forgettable.

The Ice Road (Amazon) 

What a film! Liam Neeson takes a treacherous trip through Manitoba to deliver some important equipment for some trapped miners. A fucking great watch. 8 bastard Polar Bears out of 10. (There are no Polar Bears in this movie which is about the only thing that doesn't go wrong) 

Monster Hunt...CGI garbage starring Mile Jovovich who despite being covered in dirty, having to fight all manner of monsters, and being deprived of food etc still manages to have the world's whitest teeth. Well done

0.5/10

and the 0.5 is for the big cat chef thing

Jakob’s Wife - 3/10. Attempt at a quirky vampire movie that doesn’t really work. Shame, as there was a kernel of a good idea in there about. If nothing else, at least showcases that Barbara Crampton still has great tits at 62 years of age.

FF9. This was the usual package of incredible stunts interspersed with an utterly ridiculous narrative, ladles of schmaltz and constant leaden exposition to the power of ten. I actually thought number five was really good but the shark got jumped years ago in this series and all the signs are that they’re quite happy to keep the pedal to the metal in the direction the franchise is facing. 

That said, while I can’t see me ever seeking it out again, I was entertained. So, overall I give it 6/10. 

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

I’ve never watched a Saw film and have no intention of ever doing so.

Why? The first Saw is a brilliant horror and also has the weirdest A list actor in a victim role. 

12 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Why? The first Saw is a brilliant horror and also has the weirdest A list actor in a victim role. 

Turned it off after about 20 minutes. Fuck having thoughts like that in my head. I did manage Hostel but thats mostly because it drew me in with all the tits and arse in the first half of it before the inevitable delve into depravity. 

No foreplay with Saw though, that fucker started with its kecks round its ankles. 

54 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Turned it off after about 20 minutes. Fuck having thoughts like that in my head. I did manage Hostel but thats mostly because it drew me in with all the tits and arse in the first half of it before the inevitable delve into depravity. 

No foreplay with Saw though, that fucker started with its kecks round its ankles. 

Watch Martyrs.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Watch Martyrs.

Definitely in the same bracket as Requiem for a dream as a great film that you only watch once. Gotta say I was transfixed to the screen watching it and it stuck in my head for days afterwards.

I've noticed there was an American remake which by all account was unsurprisingly shite. 

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yes it is. Then it just fell into B Movie territory and then a C Saw.

It lost it's message. The first film is an excellent film noire about being grateful for what you have rather than fucking everyone over for what they have. I saw a positive message in it, as opposed to the others that just became about killing people in different ways.