You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

@Mook I watched the first half of King of New York last night (fell asleep more because I'm sleep deprived lately rather than a reflection on the film) It's brilliant so far. Stellar cast as well although some of them are starting out in their careers (Snipes, Fishburne, Buscemi) but Christopher Walken is superb even though his character is weird. Looking forward to watching the rest later. 

The second half is superb Stig, hope you enjoy it. Definitely in my top 10 90s films.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mook said:

The second half is superb Stig, hope you enjoy it. Definitely in my top 10 90s films.

Honestly can't believe it's passed me by, I'd never even heard of it until I saw it pop up as a suggested film on amazon. 

23 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Oslo - docudrama on the secret talks between Israel and Palestine that almost (or perhaps did) achieve peace in the region. Being an HBO production it's well made, well acted and hits the right notes. Very good, 8.5/10.

Watching this right now and struggling with it tbh, a fascinating subject played out by 1 dimensional characters. The acting and direction both poor imo.

Strangely enough, Oslo is reminding me of that Eddie The Eagle movie. Loved that though.

I realise these have been done before;

I did the Godfather at the weekend - it is simply an amazing film, as near to perfect as you can get. I don't think Godfather II is better, the climax seems a bit forced - he could have took out Hyman Roth a lot earlier. And after those two I watched Goodfellas on the Sunday. I have to say - it was a bit of a chore - Jimmy is a cunt, and Tommy just isn't funny! They're all pissing themselves as he tells them a story that at best deserves a short laugh. 

I think the part where Henry starts to fall apart is done too quickly and focusses upon the drugs too much. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

The King of New York (Amazon Prime - free to watch) 

Can't believe this film passed me by all these years (Thanks @Mook for recommending). Superb performance from Christopher Walken. Brutal NYC gangsters v cops thriller. 8/10. 

Love this tune (and the scene it’s from) in that film. 

Schoolly D - Am I Black Enough For You?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

The King of New York (Amazon Prime - free to watch) 

Can't believe this film passed me by all these years (Thanks @Mook for recommending). Superb performance from Christopher Walken. Brutal NYC gangsters v cops thriller. 8/10. 

On my watchlist now.

Enough Said - Romantic comedy with James Gandolfini and Julia Louis-Dreyfus about two divorced people meeting, dating and you can pretty much guess where it goes. Sometimes with films like this it's not the end result that's important but how you get there, and I found this a really charming, low-key story with characters that you just enjoyed spending time with. Just emphasises how great Gandolfini was as Tony Soprano that you seem him here and he's just the polar opposite, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus has just got better with age. 8 out of 10

6 hours ago, Paul said:

Love this tune (and the scene it’s from) in that film. 

Schoolly D - Am I Black Enough For You?

Always liked Schoolly D from John Peel playing him years back. He played Leiden at some festival about 10 years or so ago and it was terrible. Really disappointing. Totally phoning it in. 

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The Father 8/10

Brilliant performance from Anthony Hopkins but the film itself was a bit confusing for the viewer as well as the lead character. I am guessing it was intentional but it did let it down a touch.

Yeah, that's the whole point of it.

You are experiencing his dementia with him, so you never know whats right or wrong.

Brilliant performance, brilliant film.

A Quiet Place part 2

Fucking brilliant. I really enjoyed the first film and had high hopes for this as well. I wasn't disappointed. It manages to keep the constant sense of dread throughout and a shit loads of jump scare moments. It's more fast paced than the first one with more of an action film tone. Think Aliens to Alien. 

5 Paulies out of 5

• Upvote 1

Midnight Run - Somehow I’d never seen this before and knew nothing about it, but saw loads of people bigging it up on one of the best of the 80’s film threads, and then saw Film 4 were showing it earlier in the week at around midnight and set the Sky Q to record. Just watched it now and absolutely loved it. Has that late 80’s Beverley Hills Cop type vibe. Great characters, plenty of action and loads of laugh out loud moments. De Niro was brilliant (and was sporting one of the best leather jackets in film), also loved John Ashton as De Niro’s rival bounty hunter, but the star of the film for me was Charles Grodin as The Duke. A solid 8.5 out of 10 from me.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

Midnight Run - Somehow I’d never seen this before and knew nothing about it, but saw loads of people bigging it up on one of the best of the 80’s film threads, and then saw Film 4 were showing it earlier in the week at around midnight and set the Sky Q to record. Just watched it now and absolutely loved it. Has that late 80’s Beverley Hills Cop type vibe. Great characters, plenty of action and loads of laugh out loud moments. De Niro was brilliant (and was sporting one of the best leather jackets in film), also loved John Ashton as De Niro’s rival bounty hunter, but the star of the film for me was Charles Grodin as The Duke. A solid 8.5 out of 10 from me.

I’ve done exactly the same! I haven’t got around to watching it yet though.