You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Wrath of Man

The latest Guy Ritchie heist caper flick starring The Stathe and a cracking ensemble cast.

Sort of Heat crossed with The Usual Suspects, not as good as either but still very enjoyable.

Scary at times just how much Scott Eastwood looks like the great man himself.

7.5/10 Max Media Plex sub

• Upvote 2

Saving Private Ryan - 10/10. This film feels underrated to me. Obviously it gets deserved praise for the incredible battle scenes, but it’s about so much more than that for me. 

The casting is absolutely perfect from Tom Hanks and Tom Sizemore all the way down to the numerous cameos by big stars or bit parts by unknowns who became huge. The characterisation is maybe the best example of “show, don’t tell” film making I can think of. There’s almost zero exposition; rather we’re shown who these men are (Horvath’s tubs of dirt, Miller’s shaking hand and resolute response). 

Visually it’s right up there among the best things Spielberg has ever done and the pacing and narrative switch brilliantly from frantic tension to reflective introspection.

Maybe the bookending of the older Ryan is a bit syrupy - maybe - but if Spielberg doesn’t do emotion then he’s not Spielberg. I also don’t understand the deliberate inclusion of lens flare, even though it adds to the sense of hyper reality after the battle scenes. But these criticisms don’t detract from the overall package: for me, it’s an all-time great. 

2 hours ago, Paul said:

Saving Private Ryan - 10/10. This film feels underrated to me. Obviously it gets deserved praise for the incredible battle scenes, but it’s about so much more than that for me. 

The casting is absolutely perfect from Tom Hanks and Tom Sizemore all the way down to the numerous cameos by big stars or bit parts by unknowns who became huge. The characterisation is maybe the best example of “show, don’t tell” film making I can think of. There’s almost zero exposition; rather we’re shown who these men are (Horvath’s tubs of dirt, Miller’s shaking hand and resolute response). 

Visually it’s right up there among the best things Spielberg has ever done and the pacing and narrative switch brilliantly from frantic tension to reflective introspection.

Maybe the bookending of the older Ryan is a bit syrupy - maybe - but if Spielberg doesn’t do emotion then he’s not Spielberg. I also don’t understand the deliberate inclusion of lens flare, even though it adds to the sense of hyper reality after the battle scenes. But these criticisms don’t detract from the overall package: for me, it’s an all-time great. 

I reckon it’s underrated because Band of Brothers was better. If that hadn’t been created out of SPR (and the end with latex old Damon was maybe a bit less cloying) then it would probably be better thought of.  
Spielberg done himself in. Doubt he really cares though.

Surge

Excellent little British film starring the always exceptional Ben Whishaw as an airport security officer who has a mental breakdown.

Part Falling Down, part Taxi Driver, miles better than Joker, Whishaw is utterly believable and carries the film on his back.

Highly recommended.

8/10 Seren Kodi Real Debrid

• Upvote 2

Fancied a load of shite with explosions that doesn't require much thought so last night we watched:

Rambo (The 2008 one) 

6/10. I thought I'd seen it but I hadn't, fuck me it's violent. I know it's a Rambo film but its seriously grim. The massacre of the village is horrible and I was about to turn it off but I wanted to watch him get the bastards. Money shot of the film being this bit CharmingMintyKiskadee-max-1mb.gif

Demolition Man 7/10

Hahahaha, seen it shit loads bit it does the job. Oh and Bullock. 

4 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Fancied a load of shite with explosions that doesn't require much thought so last night we watched:

Rambo (The 2008 one) 

6/10. I thought I'd seen it but I hadn't, fuck me it's violent. I know it's a Rambo film but its seriously grim. The massacre of the village is horrible and I was about to turn it off but I wanted to watch him get the bastards. Money shot of the film being this bit CharmingMintyKiskadee-max-1mb.gif

Demolition Man 7/10

Hahahaha, seen it shit loads bit it does the job. Oh and Bullock. 

Haven’t seen that one, but watched Last Blood a few months back and it’s one of the most needlessly brutal things I’ve ever watched. Felt like how I imagine watching an ISIS beheading video must be: a nauseating, entertainment-free zone. 

33 minutes ago, Paul said:

Haven’t seen that one, but watched Last Blood a few months back and it’s one of the most needlessly brutal things I’ve ever watched. Felt like how I imagine watching an ISIS beheading video must be: a nauseating, entertainment-free zone. 

Yeah its not great. 

Slight difference in that nobody is actually being beheaded in the Rambo films.

That 2008 Rambo film was absolutely fucking brilliant, people getting blown up all over the shop. I bought the DVD and used to watch it when I was feeling particularly murderous.

12 minutes ago, Mook said:

That 2008 Rambo film was absolutely fucking brilliant, people getting blown up all over the shop. I bought the DVD and used to watch it when I was feeling particularly murderous.

You sick fuck 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mook said:

That 2008 Rambo film was absolutely fucking brilliant, people getting blown up all over the shop. I bought the DVD and used to watch it when I was feeling particularly horny.

• Upvote 1

Oslo - docudrama on the secret talks between Israel and Palestine that almost (or perhaps did) achieve peace in the region. Being an HBO production it's well made, well acted and hits the right notes. Very good, 8.5/10.

On 16/01/2008 at 18:29, hamstrung said:

Knocked Up.

7/10

S'okay.

On 16/01/2008 at 21:10, Paul said:

Knocked Up - 9 out of 10. Very funny and also romantic, but in a good way without any schmaltz. Not sure if it'll bear repeat viewing, but it was ace the first time round.

On 16/01/2008 at 23:59, Jose Jones said:

Apart from the fact that the girl would in no way ever have gone anywhere near the Seth Rogen character. If they'd got an actress who wasn't quite so hot, maybe it would have been a tad more believable.

Bloody hell @Jose Jones that’s pretty much the point of the film! 

I Am All Women

True story about a South African paedo ring and vengeful nonce killer.

What should be suspenseful and dramatic completely loses out due to terrible direction and some awful acting.

One of those rare films which could really benefit from a remake. Typical Netflix really.

5/10 Nodi - Fen - Real Debrid

13 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Haha, quality 13 year old post bumpage.

You know what I mean though, there's no way she would have gone anywhere near him in the very first place even on a one night stand.

I look forward to seeing the continuation of this in the year 2034.

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Haha, quality 13 year old post bumpage.

You know what I mean though, there's no way she would have gone anywhere near him in the very first place even on a one night stand.

I don’t know, funny guys do get their fair share of poontang even the ugly ones with the manboobs 

@Mook I watched the first half of King of New York last night (fell asleep more because I'm sleep deprived lately rather than a reflection on the film) It's brilliant so far. Stellar cast as well although some of them are starting out in their careers (Snipes, Fishburne, Buscemi) but Christopher Walken is superb even though his character is weird. Looking forward to watching the rest later. 

• Upvote 1