You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

8 hours ago, Mudface said:

They're just popcorn fun. The supposed genius of including things in films that get referenced later is a bit laughable, but they're still a decent watch, the Avengers movies in particular- the rest are a bit of a mixed bag, but the Thor ones are quite amusing.

Assuming they are drawing from the comics in some capacity, it is hard to praise the story telling when it's already been inked. 

The Bane destroys Batman shocker in the last Christian Bale version is certainly a shock to the system but Bane breaking Batman's back is already part of the comics. 

17 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Assuming they are drawing from the comics in some capacity, it is hard to praise the story telling when it's already been inked. 

The Bane destroys Batman shocker in the last Christian Bale version is certainly a shock to the system but Bane breaking Batman's back is already part of the comics. 

Storytelling is more about how you tell a story, not the story itself.

I could waffle on about the best movie ever, and describe what happens in it, and make it sound like the biggest pile of shite ever.

10 hours ago, Numero said:

It’s actually frustrating to hearing how ‘I don’t know watch that kids stuff’ or ‘ that crap superhero stuff’. It’s actually good. Some of it is really, really good. 

Agree on your last sentence. I’m not arsed if other people don’t like it though. My view on that is 50:50, fair fucks/your loss. 

8 hours ago, Numero said:

While I don’t necessarily think it’s genius to reference stuff, I think the way they’ve done things across multiple movies, years apart, over several different story arcs is actually well thought out, well written, and well planned. I think some of them are clearly just popcorn crunchers, but there’s more meat on the bones of some of the stuff. 

Yeah. It’s the fact that it’s so nuanced that’s impressive. And as I said previously, they’re doing something that’s never been attempted before on this scale in the history of cinema. But again, who cares if others disagree? As long as they’re not deliberately pissing on chips, it never bothers me. 

42 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

I could waffle on about the best movie ever, and describe what happens in it, and make it sound like the biggest pile of shite ever.

Exactly. And Netflix is awash with examples of literature adapted for the screen that fuck it up. There’s a reason the Oscars have an award for it. 

I watched ‘Promising Young Woman’ last night. A decent enough watch, with some important messages.

These probably failed to land with me in the way they were meant to however. As I went to sleep it wasn’t these I was thinking of, it was Carey Mulligan in her nurses outfit. 

7/10.

4F210F3E-2167-490C-8928-9A47EBA623BA.jpeg

1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

I'm writing a story about a woman who goes to the shop and succeeds in buying a loaf of bread. It's going to be ace. 

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I'm writing a story about a woman who goes to the shop and succeeds in buying a loaf of bread. It's going to be ace. 

You’ve ruined the ending. This post should have started with a spoiler alert warning. 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Agree on your last sentence. I’m not arsed if other people don’t like it though. My view on that is 50:50, fair fucks/your loss. 

My problem is not with the genre,I'm not going to watch it anyway,it's the proliferation and saturation of such films. The likes of Sin City are superb uses of the comic/superhero style brought to the big screen. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

You’ve ruined the ending. This post should have started with a spoiler alert warning. 

But there will be twists and turns and will it be the loaf of bread that she always wanted? 

The Crying Game.

This was entertaining enough but it was a bit like a prequel to Four Weddings & A Funeral with added IRA at times. Forest Whitaker's English accent was also completely unacceptable.

Not sure how it won an Oscar, 5.5/10

20 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

My problem is not with the genre,I'm not going to watch it anyway,it's the proliferation and saturation of such films. The likes of Sin City are superb uses of the comic/superhero style brought to the big screen. 

Yeah, I get that. But then I don’t watch every superhero film. I’m all-in on Marvel, but everything else I treat like any other film: I look at the trailer, read the reviews, listen to what others think and then decide if I fancy it or not. Most of the time, I don’t. Certainly, I haven’t watched any of the recent DC ones as they look shit. 

To me it’s just another genre like any other. There are loads of dramas and thrillers and romantic comedies and straight up comedies and whatever: I don’t watch every single release in any genre and on the flip side I don’t dislike any genre in it’s entirety. I’m not a massive horror fan, for example, and rarely watch horror films, but there are classics I’ve watched and enjoyed. 

I suppose what I don’t understand is why people feel the need to make absolute, definitive statements about hating comic/superhero films so often. It’s not like they’re fucking Everton. 

8 hours ago, Mook said:

The Crying Game.

This was entertaining enough but it was a bit like a prequel to Four Weddings & A Funeral with added IRA at times. Forest Whitaker's English accent was also completely unacceptable.

Think the twist was pretty jaw-dropping at that time and it was also pretty groundbreaking in its portrayal of a trans character. The academy always rewards films with “important” themes. 

• Upvote 1

On 24/04/2021 at 21:24, cloggypop said:

Just watched Shoplifters Of The World. Odd film. It's set in Denver 1987 to the backdrop of The Smiths breaking up. I didn't know the USA noticed but apparently so according to this. The film itself is like 3rd rate John Hughes but with a constant Smiths soundtrack and lyrics shoehorned into the dialogue at any opportunity. The female Smiths fans all dress like Madonna for some reason and the blokes don't get the English look either. A very American film about a very English band. Half a person out of person. Soundtrack is amazing obviously unless you hate the Smiths. 

I just watched that, thanks for the recommendation and agree with the above.

The Smiths, what a fucking band. I am the son and the heir...

• Upvote 1

On 08/05/2021 at 22:24, Mook said:

The Crying Game.

The Crying Game?

The woman with the old, er, tadger. I suppose the sequel will have a man with a fanny!

The Machinist. 8/10

Absolutely brilliant, how have I only just seen this movie 17 years after it was released. 

The most Hitchcock film I’ve seen in ages in both plot, feel and score. 

Skinny Christian Bale was brilliant, as was Jennifer Jason Leigh.