You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

On 03/05/2021 at 20:08, Shooter in the Motor said:

Run - unusual drama/horror about a mother/daughter relationship that leads to suspicions that all is not as it seems.

7/10.

Does it turn out that she’s her “stepmom”?

2 hours ago, Red74 said:

Does it turn out that she’s her “stepmom”?

It would have been better if it did turn out that way. 

The Wild Bunch. 

Heard so much about this film and couldn’t wait to see it but Christ, what a drag.

Starts well but the plot goes all over the place and each major scene takes forever to end. 

Felt like I watched this all day. Could have done with about 4 hours editing out. 

Overrated meh

3/10 for the genuine brasses getting their raspberries out in the Bath 

The Irishman. 

Just finished it for a second time. Yes it’s too long, self serving, it’s slow paced (that doesn’t bother me) and could never live up to the weight of expectation. 

But watching it now without the fuss, it’s still a bloody good film. 

8/10

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Soft Joe said:

Week off work so watched a few. 

Valkyrie 7/10

Black KKKlansman 6/10

The Bank Job 6/10

Deadpool 2 7/10

Sound Of Metal 9/10

Barry Norman over here. 

Deadpool 27/10? Carol Vorderman over here. 

11 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

The Irishman. 

Just finished it for a second time. Yes it’s too long, self serving, it’s slow paced (that doesn’t bother me) and could never live up to the weight of expectation. 

But watching it now without the fuss, it’s still a bloody good film. 

8/10

I've been thinking of giving it another go. You're spot on about the expectation thing Col, It was good but given the cast and director I was expecting it to be almost Goodfellas levels of brilliance. It doesn't discredit the film by saying it gets nowhere near it but it was still good. Gonna watch it this weekend now but turn it off half an hour before the end because the way it dragged out almost sent me to sleep. 

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

That Tenet is available on Sky Movies from tonight , can't remember the consensus on here , Worth a watch?

Made less sense the second time I watched. Not sure how that's possible but it's possibly something to do with the entropy of time they were on about. Or something.

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

That Tenet is available on Sky Movies from tonight , can't remember the consensus on here , Worth a watch?

I think it was film marmite with split opinions. I liked it.

On 16/02/2021 at 19:42, Paul said:

Avengers: Age of Ultron - 9/10. This is far better watched in the context of where the MCU is now, up to and including WandaVision. There are so many hints and set ups of things that are four, five or even six films beyond this, it’s incredible.

I guess they’re always working off existing material which helps, but it’s the tiny details. Things like Stark and Rogers joking about Stark building a farm for him and Pepper to start a family or Vision sweeping Wanda up in his arms to lift her out of Sokovia and the look she gives him. 

This is clever, nuanced story-telling of the kind that’s never been done before and I love it. 

It’s actually frustrating to hearing how ‘I don’t know watch that kids stuff’ or ‘ that crap superhero stuff’. It’s actually good. Some of it is really, really good. 

• Upvote 1

Nah, no it's not. Anyway...

Stowaway - 3 astronauts encounter problems on their journey to Mars.

Toni Collette and Anna Kendrick star in this moribund tale, really well acted but hardly the feel good, pick me up you might want to watch on this shameful day of politics.

6/10

3 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Apart from the Kick Ass films I haven't seen a good one yet. In fact most of them make me want to put a boot through my TV.

They're just popcorn fun. The supposed genius of including things in films that get referenced later is a bit laughable, but they're still a decent watch, the Avengers movies in particular- the rest are a bit of a mixed bag, but the Thor ones are quite amusing.

Just now, Carvalho Diablo said:

Apart from the Kick Ass films I haven't seen a good one yet. In fact most of them make me want to put a boot through my TV.

Fair enough. I disagree. I think a lot of the Marvel ones are good or excellent, especially Guardians of the Galaxy, Wandavision, Endgame, Iron Man, and Infinity War, then outside there’s stuff like Deadpool and Logan. I get it might not be your thing but there’s some very well written material in there in my view. 

While I don’t necessarily think it’s genius to reference stuff, I think the way they’ve done things across multiple movies, years apart, over several different story arcs is actually well thought out, well written, and well planned. I think some of them are clearly just popcorn crunchers, but there’s more meat on the bones of some of the stuff. 

• Upvote 1