You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Riders of Justice

Fantastic little Danish revenge thriller which hits most of the right notes, most of the time.

My countryman Mads Mikkelsen puts creaky old Liam Neeson to shame as the psychotic dad hell bent on doling out the justice.

The three stooges land just the right side of palatable mostly.

Cracking stuff.

8/10 Nodi - Fen - Real Debrid

Silk Road

Can't say I've noticed this reviewed in this thread before but I got totally sucked into this drama-doc about Ross Ulbricht's Silk Road dark website, bitcoin, the untraceable conduit for narcotics.

I must've been living under a rock because I'd never even heard of this story but the acting was great and the story itself fascinating.

Highly recommended.

8.5/10 Fen - Nodi - Real Debrid

In The Electric Mist 

A Southern US murder case investigation thing with Tommy Lee Jones, John Goodman, Levon Helm & bizarrely, Buddy Guy. This seemed like it was going to be a really good film when I happened across it but unfortunately the storyline was pretty crap & it was blighted by some unnecessary mumbling. 4.5/10.

10 hours ago, Mook said:

In The Electric Mist 

A Southern US murder case investigation thing with Tommy Lee Jones, John Goodman, Levon Helm & bizarrely, Buddy Guy. This seemed like it was going to be a really good film when I happened across it but unfortunately the storyline was pretty crap & it was blighted by some unnecessary mumbling. 4.5/10.

Its a James Lee Burke novel brought to the big screen. The book is much better and I believe it's full title is 'In the Electric mist of the Confederate Dead.'

On 16/04/2021 at 14:29, Duff Man said:

The Father - terrifying depiction of dementia and old age. Hopkins is excellent, and Coleman's very good as well. 8/10.

Just finished it now. Its terrifying and heartbreaking in equal measure.

The final scene was heartbreaking.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 25/04/2021 at 22:37, Carvalho Diablo said:

The Courier (2020)

I really cannot stand Cumberbatch's Sherlock, and the plummy voiced git just generally gets on my tits, but I must say he is flipping brilliant in this.

True story about a naive businessman who gets recruited by MI6 and is partly responsible for ensuring the Cuban missile crisis didn't end our world.

Slow, espionage thriller and very, very good.

8/10

Very good film this is.

Without Remorse - 6.5/10. This should’ve been absolutely fucking great (Michael B. Jordan, revenge theme, special forces training, etc) but it was all just a little bit dull. MBJ feels like he should be a megastar but he isn’t. Got to pick better scripts or else he’ll miss his shot. 

Nomadland - 8/10. A lovely little film about grief and kindness that is eminently worthy of its Oscar success. Frances McDormand is incredible: so subtle and naturalistic in her performance; it’s no surprise she won her third statue. I don’t know if I’d ever watch it again, but even so, I thought it was great. 

12 hours ago, Paul said:

Without Remorse - 6.5/10. This should’ve been absolutely fucking great (Michael B. Jordan, revenge theme, special forces training, etc) but it was all just a little bit dull. MBJ feels like he should be a megastar but he isn’t. Got to pick better scripts or else he’ll miss his shot. 

Completely agree, it's so generic and middle of the road.

A waste of all involved.

image.png

The Place Beyond The Pines.

Fucking hell this was long. And a definite case of a film of two halves here. Really enjoyed the first half, thought Gosling was excellent. Second half was a bit more hit and miss.

Makes me want to get a motorcycle licence though.

7/10.

Without Remorse 4.5/10

A really dull watch. You could have replaced half the cast with cardboard cut outs and you would have lost nothing. A special mention for Jodie Turner-Smith, who despite being absolutely stunning, managed to display about 2 facial expressions in the entire film.

On 28/04/2021 at 21:19, John102 said:

Just finished it now. Its terrifying and heartbreaking in equal measure.

The final scene was heartbreaking.

Watched it last night. Excellent stuff from Hopkins he really is a top notch actor. 

Really gives you an insight into what a shit horrible condition it is. Very sad. 

The Way Back - Fairly generic sport drama elevated by Ben Affleck's performance as an alcoholic, grieving man struggling with life after his son died and his marriage subsequently failed. There's nothing very surprising here but it executes the premise very well, although you can't help but look at Affleck and wonder if recent real-life events shaped how he looks or just the role he's playing. 7 out of 10

13 hours ago, John102 said:

Without Remorse 4.5/10

A really dull watch. You could have replaced half the cast with cardboard cut outs and you would have lost nothing. A special mention for Jodie Turner-Smith, who despite being absolutely stunning, managed to display about 2 facial expressions in the entire film.

So far removed from the book as to be ridiculous. Could have, should have been world building and lead to Rainbow 6. Why even call it Without Remorse.

The Mitchell's Vs The Machines - Netflix

This was bloomin' great, made especially more poignant as I watched it with my daughter. The animation is top notch, very much in the style of Spiderverse. 

Watch it with your kids if you can. Or just borrow some.

8.5/10

• Upvote 1

Mortal Kombat

5/10.

Probably not a 5/10 really but I went in with such low expectations on the back of reviews. I thought Kano was quite funny at times and had a few nods to the game and playing the game i.e when someone just does the same move on you repeatedly