You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

4 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Any trailer that has "There's something in the way" by Nirvana as the backing track isn't going to be full of grins...not happy ones, anyway. 

Looks ace that.

I loved The Joker as well. The grittier the better for me, Gotham City has always had that bleak aura.

4 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I've got The Lighthouse recorded ready to watch , but every time I go past it in the list I imagine it being a Fast Show spoof

the-lighthouse-film-review-gq-october-101519.jpg

Miles off. 

3 minutes ago, Elite said:

Looks ace that.

I loved The Joker as well. The grittier the better for me, Gotham City has always had that bleak aura.

Did you watch the fan made one I posted a couple of weeks ago in here? 

On 14/03/2021 at 22:46, Shooter in the Motor said:

Probably a load of shite but lots of banter around this fan made Batman show...

Quite short so not a big commitment. 

12 hours ago, Paul said:

Crimson Tide - 9/10. Denzel vs Hackman on a nuclear submarine with Tony Soprano lurking in the background while Tony Scott makes everything look amazing. Great. Fucking. Film. 

Fucking boss film and far better than hunt for red october. The character Hackman played, you could imagine a bossed eyed commie hunter military type to be like, fucking obssessed. They even got a Star Trek mention in by Washington when his character tells Sparks he has to get the radio working.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Fucking boss film and far better than hunt for red october. The character Hackman played, you could imagine a bossed eyed commie hunter military type to be like, fucking obssessed. They even got a Star Trek mention in by Washington when his character tells Sparks he has to get the radio working.

I like The Hunt For Red October, but I agree - this is far better. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Red Shift said:

*All Is Lost*

Just one actor in this, and his name is - Robert Redford. It’s a simple scenario with a simple message. At 77, Redford simply excels. Riveting....but how will it end?

9/10

Not bad at all this. I thought it dragged a bit though but I think the ending may be open to interpretation,a bit like The Sopranos final scene. I'd give it an 8/10.

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Not bad at all this. I thought it dragged a bit though but I think the ending may be open to interpretation,a bit like The Sopranos final scene. I'd give it an 8/10.

The ending is very much open to interpretation, yes. It was slow at times, but I was hooked on the notion of the survivalist attitude, whilst being very much brow beaten, and almost inviting the shit sandwich brewing up.

13 hours ago, SasaS said:

He tends to poo poo decent films or bins them after 20 minutes, you always rate them higher than I would.

Weird. It’s almost like people have different opinions about things!

• Upvote 1

Fatale - Netflix 

Been trending as the top film this last week or so on Netflix. Watched it last night. Weird to see Hilary Swank play a role where she is not just sexy but a proper psycho. Watchable, far fetched at points but its got Damaris Lewis in it so she pushes it from a 5.5 to a 6.5 / 10. 

8d2d490da5fea9cdebb4a4210ed4bfd5.jpg

• Upvote 1

Godzilla vs Kong 6.5/10

Well it does what it says on the tin. A mindless action film which is fucking daft a lot of the time.

Pretty sure it would have been better at the cinema and I preferred Godzilla: King of the Monsters which had slightly more stand out moments from the monsters but if you want to watch 2 hours of two monsters fighting while the humans characters add very little and even sense and half of them offer nothing at all to the story, then this is the film for you.

It was fairly good and absolutely daft and I wasn’t expecting anything other than what I got, so no complaints.

The 13th Warrior - 10/10. No doubt one of the usual chip pissers in chief will pour scorn on such a rating but I absolutely fucking love this film. It’s constantly entertaining and rattles along at a right old pace with loads of cracking action scenes as it creates a plausible narrative for the Beowulf and Grendel myth. 

There are loads of great touches in it too, like the way the language thing is handled and the depiction of two easily cheapened cultures in positive terms: Islam as a culture of civilisation and learning and the Viking culture as one of “living in the moment” joy combined with wisdom and intelligence. 

John McTiernan’s direction is really sharp too making full use of the near-arctic north’s summer light and framing the characters in low-angle close up to emphasise their simple heroism. I also like the use of “show don’t tell” with the characters: Buliwyf’s quiet intelligence shown in his quick grasp of writing and Herger’s cunning in the duel with Angus. I love the way they’re all panting and out of breath after the first brutal fight in the King’s hall, but also their stealth as they converge on the house in the woods and the tension McTiernan brings in the build up to it. 

Best of all is Antonio Banderas as “Ibn”. It’s superb the way his character moves from shock, bemusement and disgust for the Vikings to respect and friendship with them while becoming, as he says, a man himself. 

I like nearly all of Michael Crichton’s books and The Eaters Of The Dead on which this is based is no exception. However, this is a rare case of me preferring the film to the source material because it’s fucking ace and I never tire of watching it. 

• Upvote 2